Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

sydney

On the Ice
You know the world doesn't revolve around Hanyu. All they are doing is just posting posts of them sightseeing and their training. It's quite normal stuff. I don't see why they need to tone down as long as they're not posting about Hanyu without his permission.

I was not talking about their personal post like sightseeing but about training , anyway there is a privacy policy within TCC so I don't think there will be any problem and it's not only about Hanyu , never said that the world does revolve around him :rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey, let's keep it light, all. :)

I know Evgenia and Jason will be respectful of whatever Yuzu wishes, but I hope that the "reality TV show" that is TCC will have a fun segment on him when he gets back. :)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Honestly, why do people think there's this terrible prohibition on TCC social media when Yuzuru's there? TCC skaters have regularly posted clips of their programs on instagram before, some of which you can even find Yuzuru in the background of. I'm sure Jason and Zhenya will keep posting stuff whenever they feel like.

blthug

Rinkside
They will most likely get into serious training mode when the season officially starts, there is a possibility that the social media posts will dwindle down a bit. They are having a bit of off season fun and acclimating to their new surroundings. I can’t wait to see Boyang at TCC. All the best to everyone for a successful season ❤️

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
its my understanding that TCC is a private club which i took to mean admittance to the press is by invite only which benefited Yuzaru because he could train outside the media spotlight in the lead up to 2018 Olympics

IceBallerina

On the Ice
They will most likely get into serious training mode when the season officially starts, there is a possibility that the social media posts will dwindle down a bit. They are having a bit of off season fun and acclimating to their new surroundings. I can’t wait to see Boyang at TCC. All the best to everyone for a successful season ❤️

I really want to see Boyang there as well! And I have a feeling the social media posts will start to die down soon, which is when this thread should probably get moved to FF.

Danibellerika

Medalist
its my understanding that TCC is a private club which i took to mean admittance to the press is by invite only which benefited Yuzaru because he could train outside the media spotlight in the lead up to 2018 Olympics

Not just press, but random Joe Schmoes can't walk in there and hang out or harass skaters (though they have tried I hear). It's members only. But it seems like if you are a member you can post whenever you want on social media, though if you're paying $30,000 a year you're probably not planning to fool around.

TGee

Record Breaker
Hey, let's keep it light, all. :)

I know Evgenia and Jason will be respectful of whatever Yuzu wishes, but I hope that the "reality TV show" that is TCC will have a fun segment on him when he gets back. :)
Thanks Mrs. P

I think this has to be a fairly unique situation.

TCC's moving from being a top elite singles training centre with skaters from about half the large federations, to a centre with national team members from every major federation.

Hopefully we can keep the positive vibe, and celebrate friendships among training mates, and let them manage any frictions that might crop up in their own way.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Not just press, but random Joe Schmoes can't walk in there and hang out or harass skaters (though they have tried I hear).

Yup they have!

But really TCC will tailor everything to skaters' individual needs. Yuzuru is a cave-boy but that doesn't mean others are, or are required to be, as long as they don't poke the cave dweller. And that is very easy to do so I am sure they'll all work it out just fine, on or off social media. They're all professionals after all and here's hoping for a good TCC season!

While at Boyang, it will be interesting to see when he'll even arrive, considering that first date Brian used is a no-go.

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, overall, Hanyu seems to be the one to have tops of "rabid" fans, crazy fangirls and fanboys.
An average grown up FS fan, even if walks in to take a peek, is likely not to be a major disturbance, but people who act weirdly, wanna touch their idol, scream and so on tend to be an issue, and Yuzuru got quite a few of those (or at least it is how that looks over the internet).

Hopefully we can keep the positive vibe, and celebrate friendships among training mates,...

This thread is doing me a world of good. I check in every day to see if there are any new pictures of these enthusiastic young athletes from all over the world palling around togehter.

(Aside, I had to look up how to spell "palling" and found out that "pal" comes from a gypsy word for "brother" The word derives from Sanskrit. It was linguistic evidence like this that enabled scholars to identify the roots of the Roma people of central Europe as, basically, Indians.

And that is my contribution to the Golden Skate off-topic smorgasbord for today. ;) )

Danibellerika

Medalist
Also, overall, Hanyu seems to be the one to have tops of "rabid" fans, crazy fangirls and fanboys.
An average grown up FS fan, even if walks in to take a peek, is likely not to be a major disturbance, but people who act weirdly, wanna touch their idol, scream and so on tend to be an issue, and Yuzuru got quite a few of those (or at least it is how that looks over the internet).

Well his fame far transcends the rest so when you have more people you're going to have more types of everything.

TGee

Record Breaker
Good food for thought...

As much as many of us in North America wish figure skating had a higher profile here, one of the up sides is that skater's don't generally need the kind of security that music stars do.

(And yes music star Shawn Mendes said that even in Toronto he knew his life had changed when he couldn't use the TTC (subway, streetcars) without attracting excessive attention.)

So, beyond the Cricket Club being tony, secure and private, it has the benefits of being in a major multicultural city in a major skating federation country, where skating fans aren't known to be as intense.

moriel

Record Breaker
Good food for thought...

As much as many of us in North America wish figure skating had a higher profile here, one of the up sides is that skater's don't generally need the kind of security that music stars do.

(And yes music star Shawn Mendes said that even in Toronto he knew his life had changed when he couldn't use the TTC (subway, streetcars) without attracting excessive attention.)

So, beyond the Cricket Club being tony, secure and private, it has the benefits of being in a major multicultural city in a major skating federation country, where skating fans aren't known to be as intense.

i think the issue is not that fans are intense on average, but is having those lets say 100 crazy people that can do major damage.
Like, I've seen once a "rabid" young adult trying to cut a piece of the singer's clothes, hurting the person in process. Everybody else was quite nice and civilized, but this one was enough.

Most skaters somehow do not have a lot of those, I think i only seen people who clearly seem to take their love for their idol too far among Yuzuru's and Yulia's fans.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yup they have!

But really TCC will tailor everything to skaters' individual needs. Yuzuru is a cave-boy but that doesn't mean others are, or are required to be, as long as they don't poke the cave dweller. And that is very easy to do so I am sure they'll all work it out just fine, on or off social media. They're all professionals after all and here's hoping for a good TCC season!

While at Boyang, it will be interesting to see when he'll even arrive, considering that first date Brian used is a no-go.

:laugh::laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Honestly i think the amount Jason is sharing is a good way to keep the "rabid" fans at bay. Give them a tender morsel and they can dissect it and play with it for a couple days. Give them nothing, they start trying to get creative about how to find a tender morsel. Basically Jason is given us lions enough to feel happy and well fed, so we are not getting rabid. I think it is a good policy and should continue. Hanyu waving at the camera or giving Jason bunny ears once a week likely will keep a lot of his fans placated more than if they get nothing.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Hanyu waving at the camera or giving Jason bunny ears once a week likely will keep a lot of his fans placated more than if they get nothing.

Yuzuru doesn't do that and really, he shouldn't be forced to in order to placate the fans (not that these who were issues would have been anyway). He will occasionally take a selfie with a visiting skater for example (and I wouldn't be surprised if we do get a selfie with Jason say) but in general he prefers to stay off social media and fans know and respect that. It's nice seeing him on those rare occasions but that is just who he is.

I am loving all the Jason content though so I hope we keep getting that! Whatever they're all comfortable with.

TGee

Record Breaker
i think the issue is not that fans are intense on average, but is having those lets say 100 crazy people that can do major damage.
Like, I've seen once a "rabid" young adult trying to cut a piece of the singer's clothes, hurting the person in process. Everybody else was quite nice and civilized, but this one was enough.

Most skaters somehow do not have a lot of those, I think i only seen people who clearly seem to take their love for their idol too far among Yuzuru's and Yulia's fans.
I agree [emoji848]

While Shawn Mendes reaction of feeling unsafe because suddenly he was no longer anonymous, is one thing, his actual personal risk might not have increased as much as his perception of risk.

It's the stalkers or others that are unable to respect personal space and boundaries that are a serious and unpredictable risk.

And that kind of situation isn't limited to the famous, although the famous seem to attract more people who can't distinguish a one-sided interest and a reciprocated relationship.

On the other hand, skaters and music prodigies, who spend time training at the expense of time in typical high schools and teenage social situations, are possibly less prepared in person to read behaviour and fend off inappropriate attention.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely understand that Yuzu is private and subject to more intrusions/adoration/interest from his fans than other skaters, certainly more than North American skaters. If Jason walked down the streets of Bethlehem, I wonder if two people would recognize him (I know one would ;) ). So it's not the same.

That said, although Jason (at the present) has a wonderful social media habit that is obviously currently concentrated on TCC, Jason is a grown man and he will not do anything to *upset* Yuzu. It's not like this is the first time he's ever met the man.:laugh:

By the same token, Jason may very well wave at Yuzu while they are off ice, or ask him to wave back while he is filming his little clips. Not because he gives a flying flip about "forcing" Yuzu to do anything, or getting a clip of Yuzu in particular, but because that is Jason's outgoing, friendly nature. And if Yuzu shakes his head "no", Jason will stop the phone and go to the next skater.

No worries:biggrin:

Haleth

On the Ice
I completely understand that Yuzu is private and subject to more intrusions/adoration/interest from his fans than other skaters, certainly more than North American skaters. If Jason walked down the streets of Bethlehem, I wonder if two people would recognize him (I know one would ;) ). So it's not the same.

That said, although Jason (at the present) has a wonderful social media habit that is obviously currently concentrated on TCC, Jason is a grown man and he will not do anything to *upset* Yuzu. It's not like this is the first time he's ever met the man.:laugh:

By the same token, Jason may very well wave at Yuzu while they are off ice, or ask him to wave back while he is filming his little clips. Not because he gives a flying flip about "forcing" Yuzu to do anything, or getting a clip of Yuzu in particular, but because that is Jason's outgoing, friendly nature. And if Yuzu shakes his head "no", Jason will stop the phone and go to the next skater.

No worries:biggrin:

Yes, and it's not like Yuzuru is usually an ill-tempered bear. I think as long as no one interrupts something serious like an important one-on-one moment with Brian or Tracy, or him in the harness with Geoff, I think he'd be chill. Brian has posted him skating in group stroking and workshop classes for example, and the occasional selfie with others is taken as mentioned upthread. Aljona and he were messing around that one week at FaOI and he's popped up in many selfie photos during FaOI as well. But since Japanese media can be ravenous when they do get access, it's probably a relief to not _always_ be on camera, even if he does love to perform (and one would hope a skater would love that!). Moreover, Evgenia might not do much with him (and vice versa) because of those of her fans (and paparazzi) who are rabid shippers would go after anyone they felt posed a threat to Evgenia's imagined romance with Yuzu, including Evgenia herself. :disapp: So she may bow out of even pics with Jason and Boyang plus Yuzu. Or if feeling defiant there might be some with her. But I do hope they only release those if both she and Yuzu feel comfortable with it, as they've already dealt with plenty of nonsense.