Japan Open - more entries announced | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Japan Open - more entries announced

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skaters do take it seriously, the crowd is just there to watch beautiful skating, either way I'm excited for this "competition" every year.

Me too!! I’m easy to please though ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sure. But I think it does Team Europe a disservice to pick someone who since coming back, has never skated 7 clean triples in a free skate, to compete in a free skate only competition. Just like SPs seem to be what Alina most struggles with, and I would never pick her for a SP competition -- see Olympic team event where she wisely was given the free and Medvedeva the short, Kostner struggles most with FSs. And that's why I think it's not a good idea to have her at JO.

:unsure: She did 7 clean triples in her Sochi FS to win a little ole Olympic bronze.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Fortunately there are still places on this Earth where SKATING matters, not only collecting points. In Japan they know what a good skating is, and that's what they want to see. That's why the beloved artists like Carolina, Jeremy Abbott or Javier Fernandez will be invited to JO as long as they're able to skate.

Japan Open is an unofficial opening of the new skating season in Japan. It is all about presenting new programs and just celebrating SKATING. No one really takes seriously scores and results there. So please, wait with your bickering until the real competitions start.

:clap:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you put enough caveats on, anything is true.

For example, a large number of skaters "haven't skated a clean FS in a major competition since the Olympics." Some of them even went to Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
While I certainly don't agree entirely with Spiral's point, per se, it is true that Carolina hasn't done well in the FS this past season, so those are reasonable data points for an argument.

That said, however, Carolina has surprised many. If you had based what she'd do in Sochi based other performances at the Olympics, then few would have thought she could medal in Sochi.

Spirals, I understand Carolina isn't your cup of tea, but she is still an excellent skater that many look up to, including some of your faves. And she is a World Champion and an Olympic medalist, so there are reasons she would be a popular choice in Japan, who likely has great familiarity with her due not only to competition but numerous shows in the country.

Last edited:
Spirals, I understand Carolina isn't your cup of tea, but she is still an excellent skater that many look up to, including some of your fans.

Wait, some of Spirals' fans?

And, as per usual, this is a nonsensical "fight" on GS. Yes, Kostner may be invited to Japan Open as she is a popular, "artistic" skater, but it is not so hard to see why someone might be unsure of why based on the fact that this is still a competition that skaters take seriously and Kostner has been inconsistent with her free skates. Not sure why it's hard to acknowledge there are two sides to this "debate", as debates are usually wont to do.

At the end of the day... meh. It's Japan Open. Nothing that happens here matters.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As long as some posters take every opportunity to bash skaters who aren't their favorites, there will be nonsensical fights on GS.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wait, some of Spirals' fans?

And, as per usual, this is a nonsensical "fight" on GS. Yes, Kostner may be invited to Japan Open as she is a popular, "artistic" skater, but it is not so hard to see why someone might be unsure of why based on the fact that this is still a competition that skaters take seriously and Kostner has been inconsistent with her free skates. Not sure why it's hard to acknowledge there are two sides to this "debate", as debates are usually wont to do.

At the end of the day... meh. It's Japan Open. Nothing that happens here matters.

That should be FAVES, lol.

And I just made that point. I understand where S4M is coming from, but I also don't think it's completely out of line to invite Carolina either.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That said, however, Carolina has surprised many. If you had based what she'd do in Sochi based other performances at the Olympics, then few would have thought she could medal in Sochi.

And then when we saw her performance at the WC following Sochi the word Wildcard seems nice :laugh:

I’m not sure who I’d pick though and I’m glad I have nothing to do with it :peace:

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
Well I'm glad they didn't invite Medvedeva... with her new training, there may be chances for her for being inconsistent, she already failed her lutz in the last show. And honestly, she is not a skater I would watch for her artistry.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Well I'm glad they didn't invite Medvedeva... with her new training, there may be chances for her for being inconsistent, she already failed her lutz in the last show. And honestly, she is not a skater I would watch for her artistry.

Can we please leave Zhenya out of this? Thanks.

As for Caro, I know it's difficult to accept by some people, but she is considered to be a great skater by many. I'm sure JO organisers are familiar with her consistency issues, but she does bring a lot of good things to the table. I much rather watch an inconsistent Caro than a consistent Tennel, for example (sorry Tennel fans!)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As for Caro, I know it's difficult to accept by some people, but she is considered to be a great skater by many. I'm sure JO organisers are familiar with her consistency issues, but she does bring a lot of good things to the table. I much rather watch an inconsistent Caro than a consistent Tennel, for example (sorry Tennel fans!)
I agree that Carolina is a great skater, and she's artistically superior to Tennell, that's true.
But i think it's not nice to Tennell (or to another skater) to say that her clean program with all elements well executed, still inferior to a full of mistakes program by Kostner. Even Kostner with her beautiful skating can't make her program nicer than a clean program when she do multiples mistakes like falls, pops, steps-out.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/tvtokyo_figure/status/1017695553247850496

Carolina Kostner for Europe
Shoma Uno and Nobunari Oda for Japan

Since this is a new week, as I didn't do so when you first posted this (thanks btw), I will start things off positive by congratulating Carolina on getting invited to her first Japan Open! It must be an honour for her to skate in front of the appreciative Japanese audience. An event that has featured in past years Lambiel, Plushenko, Asada, Takahashi, Suzuki, Rochette, and Buttle, all of whom are great skaters with their unique skill sets, role models, and have made/are still making vast contributions to their sport in both their countries and the World :).

It must be an honour for her to skate in front of the appreciative Japanese audience. An event that has featured in past years Lambiel, Plushenko, Asada, Takahashi, Suzuki, Rochette, and Buttle, all of whom are great skaters with their unique skill sets, role models, and have made/are still making vast contributions to their sport in both their countries and the World :).

For Zagitova, too! Imagine her being invited right off of her senior debut! Her contributions are pretty phenomenal, too, I reckon.

zounger

Medalist
For Zagitova, too! Imagine her being invited right off of her senior debut! Her contributions are pretty phenomenal, too, I reckon.

No one changed the rules for Kostner, for Zagitova they did, so she has some contribution to the sport :devil::laugh:

On a serious note, I think it's a nice combination for an event to watch both Kostner and Zagitova.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I agree that Carolina is a great skater, and she's artistically superior to Tennell, that's true.
But i think it's not nice to Tennell (or to another skater) to say that her clean program with all elements well executed, still inferior to a full of mistakes program by Kostner. Even Kostner with her beautiful skating can't make her program nicer than a clean program when she do multiples mistakes like falls, pops, steps-out.

I didn't say it was "inferior", just what I prefer to watch. I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact, FS is full of examples of non-clean programs scoring more than some other clean programs. For example, in the last Worlds Shoma who fell several times was 2nd, while Kazuki who delivered a clean performance was 5th. Consistency is important, but it's not everything when it comes to ISU judging.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I pointed that out too, but S4M made that caveat of "since coming back." So that Sochi skate wouldn't count.

"Since coming back" isn't really the biggest sample size, though. Carolina has only had one full GP season since her return... and I'm impressed she's going for 6 triples given said absence and her age.

I agree that this season her freeskates have sometimes let her down (especially at Worlds), she has also pulled two 141 freeskates at Rostelecom and the GPF (where she placed 3rd in the FS to jump from 6th to 4th). Both of those frees are higher than Tennell and Daleman's season's bests.

Sure you can whine it's inflation but she's not the only beneficiary of inflated scores (see: Zagitova's PCS climb this season) and even if you dropped her PCS by 3-4 points in each segment she would still have cleared 200 multiple times this season. Something Tennell has done just once this season and Gabby hasn't done at all this season. So if they're invited I don't see why it's so egregious to have Kostner there. It's Team Europe, not Team Russia (as de facto as that may be) so having her there is a nice change, especially for the figure skating fans who definitely know who she is and her accolades, fans who can appreciate her skating.