2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 425 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
IMO better sooner than later, in women's single skating, SPb is seriously lagging behind Moscow now. But Mishin will probably not throw in the towel, it will probably be needed to carry him out feet first from his home rink.
Still, people at the top level in charge over leading the Winged Blades should decide over this, keeping the federation's interest foremost in their minds.

On Mishin i think his mentality comes from decades of coaching primarily mens, where there has always been this general consensus that male skaters are allowed to have less transitions because they have to deal with the difficult jumping elements.

There are other coaches in Russia which are all about the jumps forget the rest, and let's not forget that even the stronger coaches sometimes greenlight some terrible programs.

Alina's SP last year was absolutely atrocious on all levels: choreography not always to the music, too many stops for a SP, too many music cuts for a SP, music effects in the middle too for some reason,... it was a lot, and honestly PCS for that program alone were mostly reputation. (Thankfully they got the memo this season and i like their efforts for the choreography)

And we saw the same team often recycling programs for the junior skaters, recycling costumes,... We saw atrocious programs from Panova and Buyanova skaters in the past too btw.

So taking SPB out of the conversation in Ladies Figure Skating is not a solution, especially because while Mishin doesn't care about artistry, i see a lot of improvements in Konstantinova's artistry and maturity.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
She is now off the list for Italy as well. (One assumes that she is injured--which was the most logical initial explanation--and that while they were at first hoping she would recover in time for the JGP, she needs more time).

Just a week ago someone asked on Instagram in her comments when she would perform, and she said very soon. I guess something happened since then?At this point I just hope she's able to compete at Youth Olympics or at Junior Worlds so she can get on the SB list for a GP spot next year. After all, last year she was the only girl on the top 24 SB list that was too young for a GP spot this year. It would be a huge shame if she missed out on that this year. Anyways, if she doesn't end up at any of the JGPs it will be super sad.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The Cup of Russia events are held at the KMS (candidate for master of sport) and MS levels (master of sport) which are roughly equivalent to Junior and Senior levels. There are 5 events which serve as qualifiers to Jr/Sr nationals and the Cup Final which is held in February. Akatieva and Samodelkina are both 12 years old, so they are novice age internationally, but are competing domestically at the KMS/junior level to try to qualify for junior nationals. They placed 1-2 at the Moscow Junior Championships a couple weeks back and are the strongest of each of their eligibility years (Samo will be junior eligible next season, Akatieva the year after that). Akatieva has a 4T and a 3A, and we’ve seen 3A attempts from Samodelkina last season in competition warm up. As of right now, Akatieva has the advantage in the technical but Samodelkina has the PCS advantage. They are definitely 2 skaters to look out for.

I can only see 5 ladies listed for MS levels (senior). Surely that can't be all? Last year there was about 14-18 ladies in each Group Stage.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I can only see 5 ladies listed for MS levels (senior). Surely that can't be all? Last year there was about 14-18 ladies in each Group Stage.

These are only the Moscow skaters, I believe Liza N was planning to compete in the MS category at stage 1 if I remember correctly. Full list and starting orders should be up soon!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alina's SP last year was absolutely atrocious on all levels: choreography not always to the music, too many stops for a SP, too many music cuts for a SP, music effects in the middle too for some reason,... it was a lot, and honestly PCS for that program alone were mostly reputation. (Thankfully they got the memo this season and i like their efforts for the choreography)

The time for mocking POTO has expired already, I think. But if you are crediting Alina's highest PCS of the season in SP on the account of the reputation, than I can say that e. g. on worlds everybody from the top had a reputation, like two times world champion, rising star of the land of the rising Sun, "true musical skater" etc. Yet somehow Alina with her - according to you - atrocious choreo got the highest score all the way. No, it wasn't because it was atrocious, but because it allowed Alina to show all her skills.

P. S. You have some reputation as well.

esteticlove

Final Flight
The fact that Liza went to Shae Lynn for a program is indication though that she's aware of her own throwbacks and what her fans want - namely a choreography besides her jumps. We're not even speaking about artistry, but just something better than two footed skating with hands waving. It's too bad that her coach isn't able to comprehend that. I think this is pretty much an example for the typical stubbornness of the elderly versus something new. No matter if Mishin wants to accept or not, but Eteri is currently the number 1 coach in Russia for ladies (if not at all), and that's because she's always keeping up with the development of the sport. At least her students always get their high scores with actual achievements. Yes, very often their PCS might be a couple of points too high, but you never get the feeling that this is all about politicking and dirty games. Which was the case, for me personally, last weekend when Anna was down-scored not only on PCS, which yes is arguable, but was also unfairly cut on TES.

macy

Record Breaker
The fact that Liza went to Shae Lynn for a program is indication though that she's aware of her own throwbacks and what her fans want - namely a choreography besides her jumps. We're not even speaking about artistry, but just something better than two footed skating with hands waving. It's too bad that her coach isn't able to comprehend that. I think this is pretty much an example for the typical stubbornness of the elderly versus something new. No matter if Mishin wants to accept or not, but Eteri is currently the number 1 coach in Russia for ladies (if not at all), and that's because she's always keeping up with the development of the sport. At least her students always get their high scores with actual achievements. Yes, very often their PCS might be a couple of points too high, but you never get the feeling that this is all about politicking and dirty games. Which was the case, for me personally, last weekend when Anna was down-scored not only on PCS, which yes is arguable, but was also unfairly cut on TES.

just gonna throw this out there- slow the speed down to .5 or .25. no UR in sight.

https://youtu.be/iP-SJ3EYJyg?t=115

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
So Vasilieva and Tarakanova for Poland. Looks like whoever's second of the two (assuming that most likely Liu will be first) will make the final. :)

moriel

Record Breaker

Mishin team quite commonly goes to fairly well known choreographers. At this point, Liza already worked with Lambiel, Sandhu, Buttle, David Wilson.

The fact that Liza went to Shae Lynn for a program is an indication that MishinTeam once again wants a big name to sign Mishin cheoreo, lets be realistic.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So Vasilieva and Tarakanova for Poland. Looks like whoever's second of the two (assuming that most likely Liu will be first) will make the final. :)

Hopefully, although that will depend on how well the two Korean girls who placed second at the first two events respectively do. And that also depends on how Frolova does at her two assigned events, because if she gets two seconds then she'll make the final. Theoretically, for one of the two to make the final, they'll have to place second in Poland (If Seoyong Wi gets second in Poland, its over for both of them). Then at Croatia and Egna, the two Korean girls just mentioned will have to place third or lower (if they place third then the theoretical second place Russian at Poland will have to score higher than what the Korean girls scored at their first events). At Croatia, iirc there is Haein Lee and Usacheva along with Frolova. Assuming Haein and Daria take the top two spots (Daria needs to go clean this time) and qualify for the final, this shoudn't be a problem. But at the last event, there is Yeonjeong Park and Rion Matsuike going against Sinitsyna and Frolova. If Yeonjeong Park gets second or better, she's in. If Rion wins, she's in, and if she's in second, it'll go down to comparing scores between her and the other 2nd/3rd place girls. So, the ideal thing to happen is Sinitsyna and Frolova taking the top two spots. However, if Frolova gets 2 second places, she could also block one of Tarakanova/Vasilieva, whoever gets second (if one of them does). I see best case scenario as Russians getting Valieva, Usacheva, Sinitsyna, and Tarakanova or Vasilieva or Frolova into the final (imo I'd want Tarakanova). It will be tough though.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I see best case scenario as Russians getting Valieva, Usacheva, Sinitsyna, and Tarakanova or Vasilieva or Frolova into the final (imo I'd want Tarakanova). It will be tough though.

Thanks. It is going to be very close for sure. Tarakanova needs at least a Silver with a very good score, but still will be let down by her low score from Lake Placid. Valiyeva is already in the finals, Liu most likely will make them too.
Usachyova and Sinitsyna still have a fair chance, but should keep their nerves in check while facing the ever stoic Koreans, who are very calm and composed no matter the pressure.

Personally, I'd love to see Usachyova and Sinitsyna in the finals for their top notch skating, their refined programs. Tarakanova and Vasil'yeva's programs are not of the same caliber, but both girls are steely and hardened competitors, so who knows?

It's good to see a real fight for the medals and placements, thus scores, achieved by risk and clean skating, which are often mutually exclusive. Anything can happen with these young skaters, the coming events are going to be very tense.

How is crowd turnout in Gdansk and Egna? Chelyabinsk will probably never be bettered, but skating for only a meagre hundred or two/three spectators?

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't see any particular reason for Alina to do a challenger in this month. Neither for the next.

Why not? It's important to do a challenger before the GPs to set the tone and get a new SBs. Especially if her biggest competitors, Sasha, Alena, Anna, Evgenia, and Rika will already go into GPs with a SBs. Typically (though not always - see the past week), challengers are more lenient in their scoring so it could possibly give way to a higher score. But even if that's not the case, it's still beneficial to have a showing and set the bar for her own scores before the important competitions. And of course to see how she's ranked amongst her compatriots which is very important this year.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Thoroughly upset about Kanysheva's untimely injury. Does this mean she will have to participate in both junior and senior Russian Cup stages if she wants to qualify for junior or senior nationals? And if that is the case, we'd better pray that her injury heals as quickly as possible, as the first event is already starting soon, and she will probably have to participate in all of the following four (unless, the rules were much nicer and allowed you to qualify for jr nationals via senior Russian Cup results). Such a beautiful skater struck with such an unfortunate injury! Hopefully we can see her beautiful programs and enjoy her amazing skating at Junior Worlds.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Why not? It's important to do a challenger before the GPs to set the tone and get a new SBs. Especially if her biggest competitors, Sasha, Alena, Anna, Evgenia, and Rika will already go into GPs with a SBs. Typically (though not always - see the past week), challengers are more lenient in their scoring so it could possibly give way to a higher score. But even if that's not the case, it's still beneficial to have a showing and set the bar for her own scores before the important competitions. And of course to see how she's ranked amongst her compatriots which is very important this year.

It’s not that important for an established champion like Alina to do a challenger if she doesn’t want to. Papadakis/Cizeron don’t always do challengers and this hasn’t hurt their reputation. The real advantage of a challenger is it helps boost your WR score to make sure you are in the last warmup. Alina doesn’t need this as she is at the top of the ranking list. She has been competing and touring non stop since the Olympics. Maybe she/her team want to give her a bit of a break so she doesn’t peak too soon? Either way, she will be doing Japan Open, during which the skaters usually skate their SP in the exhibition.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Thanks. It is going to be very close for sure. Tarakanova needs at least a Silver with a very good score, but still will be let down by her low score from Lake Placid. Valiyeva is already in the finals, Liu most likely will make them too.
Usachyova and Sinitsyna still have a fair chance, but should keep their nerves in check while facing the ever stoic Koreans, who are very calm and composed no matter the pressure.

Personally, I'd love to see Usachyova and Sinitsyna in the finals for their top notch skating, their refined programs. Tarakanova and Vasil'yeva's programs are not of the same caliber, but both girls are steely and hardened competitors, so who knows?

It's good to see a real fight for the medals and placements, thus scores, achieved by risk and clean skating, which are often mutually exclusive. Anything can happen with these young skaters, the coming events are going to be very tense.

How is crowd turnout in Gdansk and Egna? Chelyabinsk will probably never be bettered, but skating for only a meagre hundred or two/three spectators?

Which pressure The only ones that have pressure are the Russian girls, and especially the Tutberidze girls, which are pressed in each presentation not only to win the podium, but to win it with a very large margin. Then there is Liu, she has the pressure of being the only American hope of going to fight something in tournaments in a world of skating dominated by Russians and to a lesser extent Japanese ... but now, what pressure do Koreans have?

Watch

Final Flight
Which pressure The only ones that have pressure are the Russian girls, and especially the Tutberidze girls, which are pressed in each presentation not only to win the podium, but to win it with a very large margin. Then there is Liu, she has the pressure of being the only American hope of going to fight something in tournaments in a world of skating dominated by Russians and to a lesser extent Japanese ... but now, what pressure do Koreans have?

There's always competitive pressure for every skater who goes on the ice, no matter his country and chances of winning, in the same way an exam will always be stressful in some way to a student. Apart from that, I'm personally not much informed on the inner working of the Korean fed, but it didn't excape my notice that they have a good number of highly competitive girls on the JGP circuit, which automatically means that there's a growing national competition among this crop and thus additional pressure to perform well for each of them.