2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 424 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
You can debate differences of opinion without making them personal.

It is fine to love one skater more than all the others and to debate others about it. You can have any opinion about it you want to have. Please do not try silence other people who are expressing their opinions in a reasonable way.

You can also be critical of a skater without it being hateful or prejudice against them. However if all you are is negative about a skater then you need to consider if the problem isn't with you and not them. It is rare that a skater has no redeeming features.

I always find that if I listen (or read) with an open mind I often learn more and grow more as a fan than if I am doggedly trying to defend my ground as a fan of such and such a skater.

:clap:

this forum wouldn't exist without difference of opinion.

Resa

On the Ice
And somehow that‘s okay when it happens with Alina but not any other skater? If I need to remind some people in here, Liza is a former World Champion too, certainly she would have earned her high PCS over Anna as well? But apparently not. I do not agree with this thinking, by the way. Everyone should earn their scores no matter what you did at past competitions. Thus, Anna‘s PCS should have been rightfully higher than Liza‘s. But the outrage some of you showed, especially towards Liza, her programs and Mishin is almost comical when you use the same excuse for Alina that you condemned before for another skater.

I totally agree with you!

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think Mishin's issue is lack of an in-house choreographer. In fact, chances are there is one.
I think the issue is how the team SEES choreography (I mean, he sees it as ok to take a choreo and then replace the music. This is clearly not about simply getting someone to work on choreo at the rink full time).

Is Tatiana Prokofieva their in-house choreographer? Per Wikipedia, she's done several programs for Liza and Sofia, as well as Andrei Lazukin. Anyway, I agree that Mishin simply does not care about choreography. It doesn't matter who the choreographer is or if they are in-house or external.

On another note - I think it's okay if Alina doesn't do a challenger this season. She doesn't need one for points/world ranking, and she can compete at Japan Open to get a bit of competition experience in before the GP series. But I don't think a skater at her level necessarily NEEDS a challenger, as long as she can start her season feeling relaxed and confident.

Alena, OTOH, needs a challenger. I don't think it would be very good if her first senior event ever was her GP event. She needs to start building momentum and her senior reputation with the judges ASAP, especially since it's been awhile since they've last seen her because she did not compete at Junior Worlds. I hope we will see her at Finlandia. Otherwise I will be very concerned.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't think Mishin's issue is lack of an in-house choreographer. In fact, chances are there is one.
I think the issue is how the team SEES choreography (I mean, he sees it as ok to take a choreo and then replace the music. This is clearly not about simply getting someone to work on choreo at the rink full time).

"Chances are?" Her name is Tatiana Prokofieva and she was right there in the kiss and cry, as she often is. She's been in the team for years.

Mishin does not value choreography the way most of us would like him to, and he isn't going to change this late in the game. It's pointless to even hope for anything different.

Fluture

Record Breaker
We still don‘t know what‘s going on with Kanysheva, do we? As of right now, she has no chance to make the final since her only event will be the last one. I know she was injured but she skated at test skates and looked fine after all. So, I really do wonder what happened to her. I was looking forward to seeing her skate this season and thought she could be one of the top contenders alongside Valieva and Sinitsyna for the Russian team.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I'll just quote my original post: "<Liza and other Mishin's skaters> badly need a more talented and modern choreographer". Which IMO assumes that the choreographer needs to be accepted by Mishin's team and become the part of it. And I also wrote that the chances for that are slim, alas.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
"Chances are?" Her name is Tatiana Prokofieva and she was right there in the kiss and cry, as she often is. She's been in the team for years.

Mishin does not value choreography the way most of us would like him to, and he isn't going to change this late in the game. It's pointless to even hope for anything different.
With all due respect to Mishin, he needs to step down and make way for a more modern head coach. As a jumping technique coach he may still be of great value, though.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
We still don‘t know what‘s going on with Kanysheva, do we? As of right now, she has no chance to make the final since her only event will be the last one.

She is now off the list for Italy as well. (One assumes that she is injured--which was the most logical initial explanation--and that while they were at first hoping she would recover in time for the JGP, she needs more time).

SkateSkates

Medalist
She is now off the list for Italy as well. (One assumes that she is injured--which was the most logical initial explanation--and that while they were at first hoping she would recover in time for the JGP, she needs more time).

Did she re-injure herself after test skates? Know she mentioned she was recovering from an injury at test skates and was currently focusing on clean programs and wouldn’t do the quad right now, but that was early August. She looked pretty well recovered at that point, although maybe lacking a bit of stamina due to lost training time. So it doesn’t make sense that 6 weeks later she would still be recovering from the same injury unless she re-injured whatever it was or has a new injury

Fluture

Record Breaker

This makes me so sad... :( I wish we‘d get a statement or something so that we know what‘s happening to her. She did have an injury but it‘s quite unusual for Eteri girls - or any girls for that matter - to skip an entire (J)GP season. Especially since she looked good in August. It has to be something quite serious, maybe some re-injury or something entirely new.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Woo thank you! We get to see the super Sofias face off again. I wonder if Samodelkina will go for the 3A after Akatieva upped her tech content so much.

I can’t read the list because it’s in Russian. But is this stage 1 cup of Russia a novice or junior event only? I don’t recognize samodelkina or akatieva. Can juniors and seniors mix at the stages of the Russian cups?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
With all due respect to Mishin, he needs to step down and make way for a more modern head coach. As a jumping technique coach he may still be of great value, though.

IMO better sooner than later, in women's single skating, SPb is seriously lagging behind Moscow now. But Mishin will probably not throw in the towel, it will probably be needed to carry him out feet first from his home rink.
Still, people at the top level in charge over leading the Winged Blades should decide over this, keeping the federation's interest foremost in their minds.

Georgya

On the Ice
And somehow that‘s okay when it happens with Alina but not any other skater? If I need to remind some people in here, Liza is a former World Champion too, certainly she would have earned her high PCS over Anna as well? But apparently not. I do not agree with this thinking, by the way. Everyone should earn their scores no matter what you did at past competitions. Thus, Anna‘s PCS should have been rightfully higher than Liza‘s. But the outrage some of you showed, especially towards Liza, her programs and Mishin is almost comical when you use the same excuse for Alina that you condemned before for another skater.

I don't agree with this analogy. First Alina is not only european champion, world champion and olympic gold medalist, but she proved in the last 3 years, while she deservedly won those titles, that she is capable of performing highly difficult programs, packed not only with impressive jumps/combos, but also with insanely hard transitions, amazing spins, good skating skills and interpretation. She did all this while demonstrating astonishing atleticism and artistry. Also during all this time, Alina evolved, her programs this year are good examples to show her maturity as a skater. Alina's programs this year are probably the best choreographed programs I have ever seen from her.

Now I admit, before Evgenia and Alina, in 2014-2015 season I was Liza's fan, I loved her programs then and she dominated that season and deservedly won everything, comparing her with her adversaries at that particular moment. Hats off to Liza and her team for her superb jumping technique and what she accomplished. BUT Liza didn't improved/evolved at all since then, she showed poor choreographed programs, the same interpretation, no variations, no transitions, weak spins, things that her beautifull lutz and triple axel can't hide. It pains me to say this :(

So NO! Alina vs Alena is not the same with Liza vs Anna. Those who make this analogy are blind either by their love for Liza/ Alena or their dislike of Alina, Anna.

To sum up. No, I would not be dissapointed if Alina will receive 1 point more than Alena for PCS in the SP this season. This is not blind love for any lady in Eteri group, but true appreciation of what these girls are showing on the ice.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This makes me so sad... :( I wish we‘d get a statement or something so that we know what‘s happening to her. She did have an injury but it‘s quite unusual for Eteri girls - or any girls for that matter - to skip an entire (J)GP season. Especially since she looked good in August. It has to be something quite serious, maybe some re-injury or something entirely new.

If #TeamTutberidzeForProgress holds Kanysheva back for health purposes, not wanting to risk one of their top prospects, they have my full respect. They have other athletes still in play.

With young athletes fully in their growth phase, aggravating a stress injury (?) will only have adverse effects.
AFAIK, Alyona hasn't broken anything. Like with the other Alyona, they don't force her to compete injured, they discard short term goals in favour of long term ones, most important longevity.

No matter how much we'd like to see Alyona Kanysheva compete her new programs, her health and prospects for future starts are more important. She will probably be very disappointed over this herself.

Plus, it's good to hear everybody is tight lipped, team discipline is excellent, protecting the team as a whole, and all for the better, despite our desire for news :)

Frolova now has two starts, good for her and #TeamPanova :)

Fluture

Record Breaker
If #TeamTutberidzeForProgress holds Kanysheva back for health purposes, not wanting to risk one of their top prospects, they have my full respect. They have other athletes still in play.

With young athletes fully in their growth phase, aggravating a stress injury (?) will only have adverse effects.
AFAIK, Alyona hasn't broken anything. Like with the other Alyona, they don't force her to compete injured, they discard short term goals in favour of long term ones, most important longevity.

No matter how much we'd like to see Alyona Kanysheva compete her new programs, her health and prospects for future starts are more important. She will probably be very disappointed over this herself.

Plus, it's good to hear everybody is tight lipped, team discipline is excellent, protecting the team as a whole, and all for the better, despite our desire for news :)

Frolova now has two starts, good for her and #TeamPanova :)

If she is injured, she should be protected and not forced to compete, quite obviously. But people are worrying because we saw her skate in August with all triple jumps and talking about quads and a week later she‘s suddenly dropping out of the JGP without anyone knowing exactly why. I mean, I‘m aware she said she had been battling a minor injury before test skates but it didn‘t sound like something serious. Now she‘s missing almost the entire season and probably won‘t compete until Junior Nationals. Something pretty serious must have happened. I mean, Anna Tarusina is skipping the season too but at least we know what‘s going on with her. I just want Alena to be safe and healthy and if I won‘t get to see her skate soon, that‘s obviously okay too, as long as she recovers. But still, I can‘t help but worry.

But yeah, you‘re right in that it‘s a golden opportunity for Frolova. Good luck to her and let‘s hope she uses this chance!

SkateSkates

Medalist
I can’t read the list because it’s in Russian. But is this stage 1 cup of Russia a novice or junior event only? I don’t recognize samodelkina or akatieva. Can juniors and seniors mix at the stages of the Russian cups?

The Cup of Russia events are held at the KMS (candidate for master of sport) and MS levels (master of sport) which are roughly equivalent to Junior and Senior levels. There are 5 events which serve as qualifiers to Jr/Sr nationals and the Cup Final which is held in February. Akatieva and Samodelkina are both 12 years old, so they are novice age internationally, but are competing domestically at the KMS/junior level to try to qualify for junior nationals. They placed 1-2 at the Moscow Junior Championships a couple weeks back and are the strongest of each of their eligibility years (Samo will be junior eligible next season, Akatieva the year after that). Akatieva has a 4T and a 3A, and we’ve seen 3A attempts from Samodelkina last season in competition warm up. As of right now, Akatieva has the advantage in the technical but Samodelkina has the PCS advantage. They are definitely 2 skaters to look out for.