2019-20 Team China | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Team China

icybear

Medalist
Like his fs music, but is there a mistake? It showed up on the screen it is from hable con ella, but that's his music from last season. I am confused.

Just a mistake. The music is "Path of silence" and Yellow Moon

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
When will An Xiangyi be eligible for juniors internationally? I just recently discovered her, and it looks like Team China has a real gem on their hands.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
When will An Xiangyi be eligible for juniors internationally? I just recently discovered her, and it looks like Team China has a real gem on their hands.

She was born on 24th Dec 2006. She will be eligible for juniors next year. According to her fan club, she might attend the Advanced Novice A level in Asian Open Classic held in Taipei this season.

natsulian

Final Flight
Which of the two Emily Zhang is the one competing for China? One of them is on the Team Envelope for Team USA so it doesn’t make sense to me that the Fed did not know about this if it is the Emily from Richmond.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Thank you. I wonder how the US Federation is reacting to China poaching talented individuals such as Lin, Zhang, and Zhu. Beijing 2022’s narrative continues to get more interesting as each day passes by.

It's not that uncommon US skaters switch countries. Paganini is a recent example. Also the top Canadian skaters like Weaver Gilles and Messing were all originally american. I think the feds will keep the top skaters like Nathan Vincent Karen and Ting but the others are free to switch their representatives.

LRK

Record Breaker
Too bad about Wang/Wang. They're my sentimental favorites. I hope they can get an assignment or two abroad yet.

I was thinking the same thing!:)

I do love them - and I think the programs they have this season suit them very well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It's not that uncommon US skaters switch countries. Paganini is a recent example. Also the top Canadian skaters like Weaver Gilles and Messing were all originally american. I think the feds will keep the top skaters like Nathan Vincent Karen and Ting but the others are free to switch their representatives.

Although you’re right it’s not uncommon for skaters to switch countries, the skaters you mention didn’t all switch within a year or so of each other, as appears to have happened here. Weaver switched in 2006; Gilles in 2011; Messing in 2014; and Paganini in 2017. Gilles apparently switched because after her partnership with Donahue ended, she had difficulty finding a partner, and I’m pretty sure that both Messing and Paganini said early on that they wanted to compete for countries other than the US because of family ties.

While I don’t know the particulars here, on the surface, at least, the sheer number of US ladies who have recently switched to representing China and Chinese Taipei is striking.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Although you’re right it’s not uncommon for skaters to switch countries, the skaters you mention didn’t all switch within a year or so of each other, as appears to have happened here. Weaver switched in 2006; Gilles in 2011; Messing in 2014; and Paganini in 2017. Gilles apparently switched because after her partnership with Donahue ended, she had difficulty finding a partner, and I’m pretty sure that both Messing and Paganini said early on that they wanted to compete for countries other than the US because of family ties.

While I don’t know the particulars here, on the surface, at least, the sheer number of US ladies who have recently switched to representing China and Chinese Taipei is striking.

Yeah the number is increasing so fast. In fact, Chinese sating fans are also debating about the naturalization.

Here's some policy related background.
Chinese Taipei always have ladies switched from US because they reorganize dual citizenship.

China is different. In the past, Chinese skating field was not highly supported by the government. But recently to prepare for the Olympics, the policy is opened for international athletes to represent China. The ice hockey team and snowboard team also have naturalized athletes.
If an american-born athlete want to get citizenship, the only way is when he/she were born with at least one of the parents holding Chinese citizenship. The kids will be treated as dual citizenship before 18 and need to choose one citizenship because dual is not allowed for adults. So, there is the difficulty.

However, the US figure skating fields are filled with Asians. Over half of the juniors ladies in 18 US nationals are Asian and 6 out of 12 are with Chinese surnames. Most of them are second generation immigrants and their parents might have Chinese citizenship when giving birth to them. So the american-born Chinese girls are able to get citizenship. Also, because of the Olympics, the funding to elite skaters are more than enough but the ladies field are very weak. So a decent skater can switch to China with more funding and more chance to compete in international level.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah the number is increasing so fast. In fact, Chinese sating fans are also debating about the naturalization.

Here's some policy related background.
Chinese Taipei always have ladies switched from US because they reorganize dual citizenship.

China is different. In the past, Chinese skating field was not highly supported by the government. But recently to prepare for the Olympics, the policy is opened for international athletes to represent China. The ice hockey team and snowboard team also have naturalized athletes.
If an american-born athlete want to get citizenship, the only way is when he/she were born with at least one of the parents holding Chinese citizenship. The kids will be treated as dual citizenship before 18 and need to choose one citizenship because dual is not allowed for adults. So, there is the difficulty.

However, the US figure skating fields are filled with Asians. Over half of the juniors ladies in 18 US nationals are Asian and 6 out of 12 are with Chinese surnames. Most of them are second generation immigrants and their parents might have Chinese citizenship when giving birth to them. So the american-born Chinese girls are able to get citizenship. Also, because of the Olympics, the funding to elite skaters are more than enough but the ladies field are very weak. So a decent skater can switch to China with more funding and more chance to compete in international level.

Thanks for the information.

Ykai

On the Ice
I am curious as how much freedom the naturalized skaters have in terms of coaching, training facilities and choreograph. Do they still train in the states?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
True. The Reeds come to mind and they switched all the time - sometimes skaters just want to go to the olympic almost at all costs. But China is looking good as a team for a medal in the olympics. Maybe not gold. But a medal with a great pairs team favored for oly gold. a medal contender in the men's or two, up and coming ladies and dance. I would say Russia and US are one and two and clear faves then the bronze is open right now between China, Japan which could win both singles, France who could win pairs and dance even Italy espeicially if Carolina comes back are the top five. Wow who would think Canada would be clinging on to dear life for the last spot. Still 2.5 years things could change. But China is coming along nicely.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
True. The Reeds come to mind and they switched all the time.
I would qualify that statement. Chris and Cathy Reed have a Japanese parent and they skate(d) for Japan, which they are totally entitled to do. AFAIK they are still based in Japan and Cathy coaches and choreographs for Japanese skaters. I believe it is their sister Alison who has switched countries a few times (does anyone know how many?)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Keep in mind that 3 of the top 5 ladies spots at U.S. Nationals were just filled by juniors/novices last season. The next generation has shown up (with triple triple combinations and the ability to backload programs). A lot of this movement isn't just because athletes had a new window of opportunity open, but because they are seeing that window close at home.

Then keep in mind that most people don't usually keep track of what happens to younger athletes on the scene. Beverly Zhu never even competed as a junior at Nationals. Another one of the girls switching to China didn't either. People are noting these athletes because they are following the story about China. Because it's new. Because China doesn't usually take athletes into their program. And because the Olympics is going to be held there.

Same as we noticed that Korea suddenly had three dance teams a couple seasons out (of the six athletes, 2 Americans, 1 Russian, 1 girl who grew up in Russia, and 1 guy born in New Zealand). It's not uncommon for countries hosting the Olympics to provide extra funding for athletes in the leadup to an Olympic Games. Or to relax immigration rules. Etc. (I remember a story about a Scandinavian cross country skiier being brought into the U.S. during one Olympics. I'd guess it was Salt Lake. Pretty sure there was a pretty high percentage of American athletes on the Greek Olympic team in Athens).

Add onto it that Chinese Taipei is a whole different federation that is totally unrelated but happens to have a very similar name. Most of the time, we would probably only really be talking about two of these transitions. Ashley Lin, who made a decent splash for herself on the Challenger Series last season, and Emy Ma, who medaled in one JGP.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Also keep in mind that the U.S. Team Envelope currently includes its own share of athletes that have been "brought in" from other countries. Probably not by the federation but by coaches (and sometimes by families willing to help fund a partner). In dance alone, there are 2 Ukrainian athletes and a Canadian. A week ago there was a Russian on the dance list as well. Ukraine is probably feeling poached itself as they are currently struggling to keep their rinks open. (And neither Yehorov nor Kolesnik were at the bottom of their talent pool--that's for sure).

Nirti

Medalist
I would qualify that statement. Chris and Cathy Reed have a Japanese parent and they skate(d) for Japan, which they are totally entitled to do. AFAIK they are still based in Japan and Cathy coaches and choreographs for Japanese skaters. I believe it is their sister Alison who has switched countries a few times (does anyone know how many?)

Allison switched 3 times : Georgia, Israel and now Lithuania. She obtained georgian citizenship in order to skate at 2010 Olympics. But probably no israeli citizenship and now it could be complicated for her to have lithuanian citizenship, especially after what happened with Isabella Tobias...

Back to China, all the US-girls we're talking about will be 18+ in 2022, so will have to chose between USA and China. If they were younger, we could imagine that they represent China at Olympics with a double-passport and then decide to stay US-citizen? :biggrin: