2021-2022 Team China Update | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Team China Update

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Isn’t it 3 competitions?
It was kind of confusing when I read the information in Chinese: they'll have 3 rounds/stops but there will be 5 competitions in total (like each competing skaters will have to skate 5 times). I figure this out because it states that the cumulative points will be based on 4 out of the 5 competitions (dropping the one with the lowest score).

Then I realized that China will probably not send any competitors to 4CC either, because of the time overlap (not surprised either).

saturdaysun

On the Ice
That's great that they are letting athletes compete for their spots rather than just send who they want. People are always complaining that the Fed plays favorites and this seems more fair, as long as they're transparent about it of course. This way people like Han Yan and Hongyi Chen (still don't get what happened there...) still have a shot. Women especially seems like a crapshoot. Should be exciting!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Results from 1st round of selection competition: Competition#1

*The results were reported in news and also competition photos, but the protocols are yet to be found

Sr. men's:
1. Boyang Jin 97.75+142.94 = 240.69
2. Yudong Chen 77.41+146.21 = 223.62
*Han Yan WD-ed due to personal reason (no one knows why...)

Sr. women's:
1. Shan Lin 61.84+127.27 = 189.11
2. Hongyi Chen 60.25+122.21 = 182.46
3. Yi Zhu 59.53+113.83 = 173.36

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Results from 1st round of selection competition: Competition#1

*The results were reported in news and also competition photos, but the protocols are yet to be found

Sr. men's:
1. Boyang Jin 97.75+142.94 = 240.69
2. Yudong Chen 77.41+146.21 = 223.62
*Han Yan WD-ed due to personal reason (no one knows why...)

Sr. women's:
1. Shan Lin 61.84+127.27 = 189.11
2. Hongyi Chen 60.25+122.21 = 182.46
3. Yi Zhu 59.53+113.83 = 173.36
So Hanee basically has no chance anymore. There goes my hopes...

yqs100

On the Ice
looks like the olympics will not be open to public. but there will be spectators (organised by the gov)

yqs100

On the Ice
So Hanee basically has no chance anymore. There goes my hopes...
Yan han is on some TV show series to promote the olympics, not sure if that's the reason he didn't show up in the qualification test events.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yan han is on some TV show series to promote the olympics, not sure if that's the reason he didn't show up in the qualification test events.
Oooh, I'd love to see it!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
So, the final results of the selection are published. It is confirmed that Boyang and Yi (Beverly Zhu) will be representing Team China for men and women's FS, along with Sui/Han, Peng/Jin and Wang/Liu who were already named as members.

News in Chinese: https://weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404726386442240210

So pretty much we got the results from the 1st selection competition, and then jumped to the ending decision :coffee:. Basically according to the news link from above, Boyang won the selection competitions with a total cumulative score of 1072.89, over Yudong's total 914.15. On the women's side, the results are much closer:

Yi Zhu 732.60
Hongyi Chen 724.64
Shan Lin 716.68

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thanks for information! I'm happy for Wang/Liu I haven't seen them for a long time. The women scores are really close as you said, it's interesting how Yi would perform under pressure of home Olympics.

Briananing

On the Ice
Eventhough I m more into Chen Hongyi and was confuse why Beverly was picked, but I never send any hate comment, so I hope no one here does to. Zhu Yi is really getting dragged to the mud in every Chinese platform. So if anyone is a fan of any Chinese disciplines, it would be nice to send some encouragement message to her.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
And Americans are dragging Karen Chen. It's all stupid. No one goes out there trying to have a bad skate, especially when you have a team counting on you. I was a Hongyi fan too but Beverly clearly earned her spot since they did so many competitions and she came out on top. Things can just go wrong really quickly in a short program and she tried her best -- I'm glad she went for the 3-3! I will always have more respect for people who go for the harder elements even if it means risking a fall rather than playing it safe. It's not like China was ever going to win a medal. The team making the free is already historic enough.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
It's not like China was ever going to win a medal. The team making the free is already historic enough.
Right? But i guess it's human nature to be toxic-first in this social media era.

It was so nice to see Boyang being playful and smiley in the K&C, with that Chinese symbol of something (sorry i dont know what it was). He had a messy skate, but did not let it sour the mood.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
And Americans are dragging Karen Chen. It's all stupid. No one goes out there trying to have a bad skate, especially when you have a team counting on you. I was a Hongyi fan too but Beverly clearly earned her spot since they did so many competitions and she came out on top. Things can just go wrong really quickly in a short program and she tried her best -- I'm glad she went for the 3-3! I will always have more respect for people who go for the harder elements even if it means risking a fall rather than playing it safe. It's not like China was ever going to win a medal. The team making the free is already historic enough.
And Karen’s free program is one of the most beautiful ever!! I watch it over and over just for the joy of expression.. no one tells a story on ice better than Karen… remembering On Golden Pond🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Eventhough I m more into Chen Hongyi and was confuse why Beverly was picked, but I never send any hate comment, so I hope no one here does to. Zhu Yi is really getting dragged to the mud in every Chinese platform. So if anyone is a fan of any Chinese disciplines, it would be nice to send some encouragement message to her.
So sad an entire culture cannot find in it to reward honest effort, excellent sportsmanship.. I am now a big fan of Zhu Yi.. wishing her all the very best!!
I feel the negativity will backfire in a big way and bring her supporters to the forefront.. she has COURAGE!! And is to be admired and commended! Lovely young woman, lovely skater..🌹🌹❤️❤️💙🤩

Last edited:

Briananing

On the Ice
I m confuse why there isnt any Chinese entries to World. I understand S/H not going, but wouldnt someone need to atleast secure some spots for next year Worlds ? If it is about the vaccine problem, wouldnt someone like Zhu Yi who probably still going back and forth to the US was vaccinated with other vaccine aside from sinovac ?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Countries/federations automatically get one spot for Worlds, so no skaters this year doesn't mean no skaters next year. That said, I would think China would want more spots in pairs, at the very least.