2021-2022 Team China Update | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Team China Update

Skatesocs

Final Flight
But the rights of any international travel and attending any competitions are still decided and controlled by CFSA.
Well, then I hope the mismanagement doesn't affect the athletes' mental health more than anything else...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Love Jin's steps - lots of unusual moves there. Could be better overall, could flow better, but this is good for him, clearly different from the 2017-18 version, showing much better range of movement, and trying to express much more depth. Very nervous here, but the jumps are finally back (only fell on the +3T, the 4Lz is actually there). Hope he gets a medal and the confidence during the LP.

Sui/Han - like it. Know them to be great at that style. Wish it were different. They should have an SP that would get them 10s on PE/CO/IN and even SS - and they are perfectly capable.

Peng/Jin - SP still not out.

Sad to see Yudong bombing. So much potential.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
P/J https://weibo.com/6519262815/KCJpebpil

That choreo and the music is a nope. While I liked Dubreil's SP last season (relatively), absolutely should have ditched her if this is what she was giving them. Nichol knows lyricism - what P/J can do so well - whereas Dubreil tends to be mind-numbingly trite. Just horrifying for a team that can contend for an Olympic medal.

ManiDani

Rinkside
I typically like Marie France’s choreography, but Peng/Jin’s short program seems like a leftover rhythm dance idea for one of her ice dance teams. It’s understandable that Marie France may have overstretched herself with the number of teams she coaches and it being Olympic season, but P/J deserve choreography that suits them and their strengths. I believe they have the talent to settle in and adapt to the choreography over the season, but my first take was slight disappointment.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Will have to get used to the beginning being to different vocals... but when the male vocals finally kick in, it really shows the sheer amount of body awareness and patience these two - especially Sui - have. Just great. Maybe not as perfect as it was before, but it doesn't even matter to me right now.

And... Sui's 3S is magnificent here. :)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Peng/Jin: Currently I feel like this is just an inferior retread of their Cloud Atlas LP... It doesn't have quite the moments that they can take to really express, with the clarity they're capable of. Peng/Jin have their own unique relationship on the ice that I don't think this manages to capture yet, but I like that they are moving with conviction, doing something that sets them apart from S/H, have movement that makes sense and has purpose... Maybe it will click later on, when they get better with this LP.

Jin Boyang: Heh. I'm sure many will hate it, but this seems like a natural development of his own flavour of performance. Inferior to the rock LP (which had genuinely good pacing and very interesting bits of choreography), but the steps followed by the choreography sequence really turn Bolero into a rock concert - therein is his own personal interpretation of the music. Many "artists" out there fail to have any personality whatsoever, making sad faces to some whiny old crone with a drug problem ain't it. Wish the Invocacion y Danza music was used for more, it's never been used before (but he was doing some transitions between all the falls so maybe it just didn't come through). I'd put the CCSp right after the FCSp to extend and conclude that section of music (somewhat jarring music cuts in both of his programs currently), and also so that the steps begin right after the 3Lz+3T.

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
First of all its difficult to judge these programs based on the crap videos we have so I'm mostly judging the music
Sui/Han - I am surprised by the amount of new choreography they put into their recycled fs. A lot of skaters in the past would have just been lazy and used their old program, move for move and even use the same costume. I dont particularly like the new intro version of Bridge over troubled water, its too bare with just vocals. I'm sure there are better versions or even if they started with an instrumental version and transition into their previous version.
Peng/Jin - I do like the fs music this year. Problem is the 3rd piece of music defeats the climatic ending of their 2nd music. I would have preferred if they ended the program with Only for love and not add in the last music. Also their costumes are a bit jarring opposite to which other and dont quite match together
Boyang - I dont hate this Bolero as much as I thought I would. The first guitar piece is a bit dull. Could have used a more interesting piece. But the build up into the usual Bolero is pretty nice. The quiet start allows for the climatic ending of Bolero to be more resounding rather than an continuous Bolero like Kamila music

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wang/Liu, Peng/Jin, Wang/Huang, Zhu Yi, and Boyang are headed to Italy! I suppose that means S/H are headed to Canada.

Not sure if Yudong or Hongyi are going with the larger chunk of Team China.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Hey, are there any rumours about whether we'll see the skaters compete outside China at all? W/L withdrawing from NHK is very worrying, and I don't know about the restrictions around Beijing.
:rolleye: (P/J and W/H WD from IdF, and Hongyi WD from Italy)

Last edited:

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I'm actually in shock at how well every Chinese skater did today! Congrats to everyone, especially Beverly and Yudong on their PBs, Boyang starting off the Olympic season so strongly and Peng/Jin going clean. Is there any chance Boyang can get added to NHK?

yqs100

On the Ice
there is a national competition will be in early December - dunno if thats the reason the team is rushing back home for quarantine .....

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
It looks like part of the Olympic teams is already decided (pair and ice dance), while the singles' categories will be decided by the following selection competitions (internal)

(announcement in Chinese)

Based on the above link, it confirms that the following teams will represent pairs and ice dance (with no surprise):
Pairs: Wenjing Sui / Cong Han; Cheng Peng / Yang Jin
Ice Dance: Shiyue Wang / Xinyu Liu

As for man/woman's spot, there will be internal competitions to be held from Dec 16th 21'~Jan 22nd 22'. There will be 3 selection trials, 5 competitions in total for the whole selection process:
Trial 1: Dec 16~18 (Competition 1)
Trial 2: Dec 30~Jan 1st (Competitions 2 & 3)
Trial 3: Jan 20~Jan 22 (Competitions 4 & 5)

Participants will get cumulative points via each competition, in which one lowest score will be excluded, and the final ranking will be based on the total (cumulative) points.

As for participants, the single skaters have to earn the international TES of this season or the previous season in order to participate. Hence the following skaters are qualified to entry the 3 trials:

Women's: Hongyi Chen/ Yi Zhu/ Shan Lin
Men's: Boyang Jin/ Han Yan/ Yudong Chen

icybear

Medalist
As for man/woman's spot, there will be internal competitions to be held from Dec 16th 21'~Jan 22nd 22'. There will be 3 selection trials, 5 competitions in total for the whole selection process:
Trial 1: Dec 16~18 (Competition 1)
Trial 2: Dec 30~Jan 1st (Competitions 2 & 3)
Trial 3: Jan 20~Jan 22 (Competitions 4 & 5)

Participants will get cumulative points via each competition, in which one lowest score will be excluded, and the final ranking will be based on the total (cumulative) points.
So are they expecting these skaters to compete in 5 competition between now and January because obviously that would gain you the most points. This would be ridiculous way to exhaust the skaters just 2 months before the olympics. Also is this done behind closed doors and we wont be able to watch any of the competitions. In a way, it makes sense to have the top contenders face off multiple times before choosing just so we arent basing the selection on a single Nationals competition where someone could have an off day and someone can have a great skate but then fluke out on the olympics.