2021-2022 Team China Update | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Team China Update

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Countries/federations automatically get one spot for Worlds, so no skaters this year doesn't mean no skaters next year. That said, I would think China would want more spots in pairs, at the very least.
depends.. they easily could have 3 spots and they keep sending just two teams... I am guessing Sui-Han will retire now... Will Peng-Jin continue (I certainly hope so). But who is team no 3?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
depends.. they easily could have 3 spots and they keep sending just two teams... I am guessing Sui-Han will retire now... Will Peng-Jin continue (I certainly hope so). But who is team no 3?
I don't know who third team is, but I bet they have one and they will be fantastic once China sends them to an international competition!

Briananing

On the Ice
Countries/federations automatically get one spot for Worlds, so no skaters this year doesn't mean no skaters next year. That said, I would think China would want more spots in pairs, at the very least.
Yeah, I m only mentioning Zhu Yi bcs she is the one who doesnt have a great moment in the Olympic, I would think she wants a redemtion for Worlds. Aside from pairs, Wang/Liu is on the upward trajectory, I would think they want more of that for reputation purpose atleast, since we dont have the Russian and lots of Ice dance couples would retire shortly. Of course, it would be a different reason if they are busy being invited to variety shows, photo shoots etc ala Junhwan Cha, but I havent see much of it either.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i remember a chinese team at JGP the last few years, but i haven't been seen them in a while, they should be seniors by now

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With the way the Chinese Fed has run their team this season with there skaters barely competing it's no wonder why they aren't competitive other then with S/H and if they retire China is in real trouble. The fact they didn't even have a team that was a contender for a team medal at a home Olympics says everything.

yqs100

On the Ice
Based on recent interview, Sui/ Han may take a break, they may come back if needed.

Peng/ Jin may stay but it depends on Jin I believe

third pair —Wang/ Huang is leading among the young pairs. Zhang/Yang is another pair that trains under Shen/ Zhao

There is another pair training in Harbin. The girl is only around 10 or 11? they can do quin twist…. Of course solo jump is the big thing for her to develop… hope they can move to Beijing eventually😊

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Based on recent interview, Sui/ Han may take a break, they may come back if needed.

third pair —Wang/ Huang is leading among the young pairs. Zhang/Yang is another pair that trains under Shen/ Zhao

There is another pair training in Harbin. The girl is only around 10 or 11? they can do quin twist…. Of course solo jump is the big thing for her to develop… hope they can move to Beijing eventually😊
thanks for the update. I just hope China keeps developing amazing pairs and beautiful skaters like Han Yan ;)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Really? S/H had to pace themselves over the entire quad due to injuries. They barely hung on to finally win Olympic gold. They barely beat the Russians Tarasova/Morosov. S/H look vulnerable on the sbs jumps, especially the salchow.

I can understand wanting to help your country's pairs division, but I can't see them 'taking a break,' and then coming back. By that point, the Russian teams would likely be competing again and solidly established at the top. The pairs landscape will be changed, and S/H will not be any younger. They have achieved the goal they hung on for. Why push it?

Seemingly, there are concerns about the potential of the younger Chinese teams? If Jin has injury issues and plans to retire, maybe a new partner might be found for Peng? I wish Yu's dreams hadn't been dashed.

Han Yan's skating is exceptional. I'm happy I got to see him compete again, but sad that he wasn't able to skate at the Olympics in Beijing. Yan's talent is rare, and skaters like him do not rise to the fore that often. It's too bad that Chinese fed fell overly in love with Boyang Jin to the point where Han Yan was not fully supported consistently.

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice
Really? S/H had to pace themselves over the entire quad due to injuries. They barely hung on to finally win Olympic gold. They barely beat the Russians Tarasova/Morosov. S/H look vulnerable on the sbs jumps, especially the salchow.

I can understand wanting to help your country's pairs division, but I can't see them 'taking a break,' and then coming back. By that point, the Russian teams would likely be competing again and solidly established at the top. The pairs landscape will be changed, and S/H will not be any younger. They have achieved the goal they hung on for. Why push it?

Seemingly, there are concerns about the potential of the younger Chinese teams? If Jin has injury issues and plans to retire, maybe a new partner might be found for Peng? I wish Yu's dreams hadn't been dashed.

Han Yan's skating is exceptional. I'm happy I got to see him compete again, but sad that he wasn't able to skate at the Olympics in Beijing. Yan's talent is rare, and skaters like him do not rise to the fore that often. It's too bad that Chinese fed fell overly in love with Boyang Jin to the point where Han Yan was not fully supported consistently.
Im not sure, what do you mean Sui/ Han barely beat the russians T/M. I dunno how many pairs competitions you watched before, I don't recall Sui/Han were beaten by T/M in any event. if there is no one of the young pairs can develop to the level of sui/han, why can't they come back? don't even mention the german champion was fighting for comeback

Yan Han didn't attend the 5 olympics qualification events which was not organised by the china fed, but by the sport general admin of china. instead, he appeared on some tv show to promote figure skating.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Im not sure, what do you mean Sui/ Han barely beat the russians T/M. I dunno how many pairs competitions you watched before, I don't recall Sui/Han were beaten by T/M in any event. if there is no one of the young pairs can develop to the level of sui/han, why can't they come back? don't even mention the german champion was fighting for comeback

Yan Han didn't attend the 5 olympics qualification events which was not organised by the china fed, but by the sport general admin of china. instead, he appeared on some tv show to promote figure skating.
I'm not denigrating Sui/Han's superlative accomplishments in pairs figure skating. They've had many magical moments. And we could still see that magical presence in their 2022 Olympics performances. The fact remains that they had to strategize and pace themselves over the past quad in order to achieve their dream of Olympic gold. I'm happy for them that they did. If not for their bold decision to include the quad twist, S/H could have been overtaken by T/M. The judges have always appreciated both T/M's and S/H's talents, which their respective scores over the years prove. Not a lot has separated these two teams, except that T/M have suffered a noticeable down period in their confidence which has impacted their results in recent years. Still, they've always been in the top three to five, consistently, both domestically and internationally. Meanwhile, S/H courageously battled injuries and still managed to win a number of major competitions over the past quad.

At T/M's absolute, in-the-zone best, they clearly have been able to put on a pairs clinic with their gorgeous, high-quality elements. They have been less effective at fully defining themselves aesthetically, and in emotionally interacting with each other. Their music choices, especially early in their career, were hit-or-miss. S/H have a magical presence and sheer strength of will, so yes, S/H did prevail in many head-to-head battles vs T/M. Still, it's not as if T/M have never scored higher than S/H. At 2019 Worlds, T/M were first in the sp with a generous 81+ score, while S/H received a generous 79+ score after a subpar 4CCs in their comeback, post skipping the fall portion of the season once again, in order to pace themselves. Of course, S/H prevailed overall to win Worlds for the second time in 2019 after the judges ensured the top-scoring champions of that season, J/C, were so harshly scored for their poor sp showing, that they could not viably factor into the podium that year, as expected (in what ultimately turned out to be J/C's final performance at Worlds).

My point is that T/M have been close rivals to S/H, and have scored higher than S/H in more than one instance. Plus, there's no need to disdain Han Yan's considerable talents and accomplishments in figure skating.

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice
I'm not denigrating Sui/Han's superlative accomplishments in pairs figure skating. They've had many magical moments. And we could still see that magical presence in their 2022 Olympics performances. The fact remains that they had to strategize and pace themselves over the past quad in order to achieve their dream of Olympic gold. I'm happy for them that they did. If not for their bold decision to include the quad twist, S/H could have been overtaken by T/M. The judges have always appreciated both T/M's and S/H's talents, which their respective scores over the years prove. Not a lot has separated these two teams, except that T/M have suffered a noticeable down period in their confidence which has impacted their results in recent years. Still, they've always been in the top three to five, consistently, both domestically and internationally. Meanwhile, S/H courageously battled injuries and still managed to win a number of major competitions over the past quad.

At T/M's absolute, in-the-zone best, they clearly have been able to put on a pairs clinic with their gorgeous, high-quality elements. They have been less effective at fully defining themselves aesthetically, and in emotionally interacting with each other. Their music choices, especially early in their career, were hit-or-miss. S/H have a magical presence and sheer strength of will, so yes, S/H did prevail in many head-to-head battles vs T/M. Still, it's not as if T/M have never scored higher than S/H. At 2019 Worlds, T/M were first in the sp with a generous 81+ score, while S/H received a generous 79+ score after a subpar 4CCs in their comeback, post skipping the fall portion of the season once again, in order to pace themselves. Of course, S/H prevailed overall to win Worlds for the second time in 2019 after the judges ensured the top-scoring champions of that season, J/C, were so harshly scored for their poor sp showing, that they could not viably factor into the podium that year, as expected (in what ultimately turned out to be J/C's final performance at Worlds).

My point is that T/M have been close rivals to S/H, and have scored higher than S/H in more than one instance. Plus, there's no need to disdain Han Yan's considerable talents and accomplishments in figure skating.
Funny - no one disdains both T/M and yan han's talent. have no idea where this is from!
im just saying the truth he didnt attend the olympic qualification tests organised by team china. if Im here just to present what it happened, of course you have your way to interpret. my advice for you is no need to overreact