2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was quite taken by Amodio´s freeskate, really entertaining performance.... The freeskate programme choreography of Max was not too difficult for him to interpret. I got the feeling that Javier´s choreography is not quite ready yet, as well as he himself was not. Besides, it is not easy to skate after the kind of performance Mura was able to show this early in the season.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I was quite taken by Amodio´s freeskate, really entertaining performance.... The freeskate programme choreography of Max was not too difficult for him to interpret. I got the feeling that Javier´s choreography is not quite ready yet, as well as he himself was not. Besides, it is not easy to skate after the kind of performance Mura was able to show this early in the season.

I wonder how did Hanyu manage to skate and deliver the FS at World 2014 with the pressure of needing to land the troubling 4S, being OGM, being 3rd after SP and after Machida FS.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I wonder how did Hanyu manage to skate and deliver the FS at World 2014 with the pressure of needing to land the troubling 4S, being OGM, being 3rd after SP and after Machida FS.

That's just Hanyu's pattern to deliver great FS at Worlds after mistake in SP for 3 previous seasons :biggrin:

I am a little dissapointed with Javier's LP. I don't like it as a hole piece, and sadly I don't remember anything from his performance, but maybe if he will deliver jumps it will change overall image :scowl:

unico

Final Flight
How is Hanyu relevant at all here? :confused: Different skaters cope with different pressures differently. Anyway according to a tweet I saw somewhere, it wasn't because of nerves that Fernandez performed poorly, but mostly due to early season conditioning. I'm not sure/I don't remember if that is something Fernandez himself said or if was just an "inside source" though.

Mao88, thank you as always :bow:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well for Javi it is good start to the season thinking about disaster last season in GP's. Let's hope he will get good place in next GP and qualy to GPF

Meoima

Match Penalty
How is Hanyu relevant at all here? :confused: Different skaters cope with different pressures differently. Anyway according to a tweet I saw somewhere, it wasn't because of nerves that Fernandez performed poorly, but mostly due to early season conditioning. I'm not sure/I don't remember if that is something Fernandez himself said or if was just an "inside source" though.
Mao88, thank you as always :bow:
I have to say I think he's not in his top form this early season yet. Javi actually did much a better job in his 1st GP this year than last year. And he still have quite big chance for GPF. I am sure he will qualify.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^I am not exactly sure what "early season conditioning" means :confused:. perhaps a way for Javier not to peak too early? In any case, his training mate Nam gave no signs of such conditioning in Skate America. Still I am crossing my fingers that Javier's conditioning improves in his next GP ëvent in Russia and that hë makes it to the GPF in his home country.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^I am not exactly sure what "early season conditioning" means :confused:. perhaps a way for Javier not to peak too early? In any case, his training mate Nam gave no signs of such conditioning in Skate America. Still I am crossing my fingers that Javier's conditioning improves in his next GP ëvent in Russia and that hë makes it to the GPF in his home country.
Nam skates very slow and he telegraphs his jumps a lot (and his jumps are tiny), so it's of course less energy consuming than Javi. I remember Javi was not in his top form in his first GP last season either. He peaked at Euro. So I expected the same with him this season. But of course I hope that he will try harder and make it to the GPF in his home country.
Javi also did many shows in the summer, like Yuzuru and he was event admitted to the hospital in Japan for some fever. So maybe his preparation for the LP was not ready enough.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 255.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 244.87 - Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Max AARON (USA) - 231.77 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 231.67 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 225.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 215.71 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 208.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 203.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 202.40 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 201.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 198.91 Free Skate

Medal Ceremony

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Those who criticised Javier's LP for being too goofy, are you kidding me?

The Barber of Seville IS suppose to be comedic Operas (you can even hear it in the music), along with the likes of The marriage of Figaros are the pantomime operas. Javier has the charisma to bring it to life, but he was simply off his game last night. He look tired and off timing and slow, and his personality is not able to come through. Sapped of energy and busily playing catch up. It is actually a great choice for him. I actually think both his programs are the best from the whole singles competition at SC (though I like Adam's too), but his SP/performance is the best SP of the season so far. Jeremy's FS is the best LP program for me.

In a season where lyrics/vocals can be used to enhance choreograph programs for the first time, what other better utilisation than a comedic opera with Javier? Ha if only Jason Brown team thought of it.

Ladies have not been impressive so far, many above average, but nothing outstanding.

Alba

Record Breaker

The Barber of Seville IS suppose to be comedic Operas (you can even hear it in the music), along with the likes of The marriage of Figaros are the pantomime operas. Javier has the charisma to bring it to life, but he was simply off his game last night. He look tired and off timing and slow, and his personality is not able to come through. Sapped of energy and busily playing catch up. It is actually a great choice for him. I actually think both his programs are the best from the whole singles competition at SC (though I like Adam's too), but his SP/performance is the best SP of the season so far. Jeremy's FS is the best LP program for me.

In a season where lyrics/vocals can be used to enhanced choreograph programs for the first time, what other better utilisation than a comedic opera with Javier? Ha if only Jason Brown team thought of it.

Ladies has not been impressive so far, many above average, but nothing outstanding.

I fully agree with this.

Wo|flax

Final Flight

In a season where lyrics/vocals can be used to enhance choreograph programs for the first time, what other better utilisation than a comedic opera with Javier? Ha if only Jason Brown team thought of it.

Ladies have not been impressive so far, many above average, but nothing outstanding.
I think people know that.
I think what they mean is, he did comedy last season, and the season before that, you know? But I agree with you on the rest of it, and besides black betty is different.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The Japanese men are killing it this season! I forsee a GPF full of them, to go with the GPF full of Russian ladies. :)

I admit Mura looks like he's trying to win the Cliche Award of 2014-15 (Carmen paired with POTO?!) But he delivered the tech content. He could've been skating to the Macarena and doing a butt spin, and he still would've deserved to win this competition. And in his defence, his POTO was much better choreographed and cut than his Carmen.

Javi... oh why oh why... Did he have a single jump that was well-landed? Now, I don't mind it when people struggle to land and fight a bit... but only if they actually manage to land the jumps cleanly on one foot! When you're throwing hands down and flipping out on the landing... In terms of program, I think it fits Javi, though I found the vocal parts a little overpowering.

Regarding Max Aaron vs. Stephen Carriere: I think it could've gone either way. Max landed more of the big jumps (quads and triple axels), stayed on his feet throughout, and is a faster/more powerful skater. Stephen's jumps were generally of better quality, and he has better lines and edgework. While I like Max, I'm a bit disappointed in this Gladiator program; he didn't bring the character to life, and if I'd been watching with the music off, I wouldn't have known what he was skating to. In light of this, I think their LP scores should've been closer. But I also think Carriere was overscored in the SP and Aaron underscored there, so overall I'm not sure who deserved bronze.

I'm really starting to "get" Menshov's program more, and the music was a little easier to listen to when it's not being broadcasted through a wonky stream. Shame about the errors.

Florent seemed too intensely concentrated on the jumps in the beginning, but he came alive as the program progressed. Sadly, that's when the fall happened. :laugh:

Kozuka: :bang: I just want to shake him and yell, "Darn it, get your act together!" At this rate he'll be left of the Worlds team, and even his beautiful skating is not enough to argue otherwise.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Why are more people not talking about Carriere, btw? He was good! I feel he had the best program here and should have placed ahead of Max Aaron. Only one tenth of a point away as it stands! Hopefully he can get that spin situation worked out, because it hindered him in both the SP and LP.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max's TES was 12 points higher in the LP than Carriere's. Whether people like you like it or not, that DOES matter.

I thought Carriere was good, but he was NOT four points better than Max in the SP.

Max's TES was 12 points higher in the LP than Carriere's. Whether people like you like it or not, that DOES matter.

Well, 7 anyway. But Carriere got 3 back in PCS.

Carriere's off to his best start since juniors.

I thought Carriere was good, but he was NOT four points better than Max in the SP.

Stephen's advantage over Max in the SP was almost entirely in the base value for elements. Stephen did an extra triple jump. Not saying that Carriere is better than Aaron, but yes, that does matter. ;)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Exactly what is this "you people" bullcrap supposed to mean? Perhaps "someone like you" should realize that being 12 points ahead on TES doesn't make you better if you are 18 points behind on PCS (which happened at 2011 TEB with Patrick Chan vs Nan Song). Max wasn't 12 points ahead on TES to begin with.

I would score Max's PCS for that performance at about a 67. The choreography was poor, the skating skills were relatively lacking, the performance didn't reach out, and his interpretation was simplistic at best. I'd have Carriere at about 75. That puts him ahead despite the lower TES and he was deservedly ahead after the SP to begin with.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nam skates very slow and he telegraphs his jumps a lot (and his jumps are tiny), so it's of course less energy consuming than Javi. I remember Javi was not in his top form in his first GP last season either. He peaked at Euro. So I expected the same with him this season. But of course I hope that he will try harder and make it to the GPF in his home country.
Javi also did many shows in the summer, like Yuzuru and he was event admitted to the hospital in Japan for some fever. So maybe his preparation for the LP was not ready enough.

Oh for gosh sakes Nam is a boy. It is amazing he is pretty consistent with the quad sal and triple axel. give the boy a chance to get enough muscle to add some oommph and speed or at least his driver's license lol.