2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And PCS of S/K is 34, while S/H's is 30. Tell me how it's fair?

It's a popularity thing (Stol/Klim being team OGM and indiv OSM and WSM). For me S/H was the much stronger performance. Although considering that the Russians' PB is 76 in the SP, I guess 71 for that clean, but kinda meh, SP is "fair".

It's one of those things that as long as S/K went clean they would get a higher mark... not a Russian thing, IMO... if it was Savchenko/Solkowy in their place, they'd still be ahead of S/H.

Last edited:

Bufo viridis

Rinkside
Stolbova and Klimov were pretty awesome, as expected. And I thought the outfits were fine... Besides Klimov's mortal combat dragon on the chest :unsure:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Sorry, folks. As much as I enjoyed S/K's skate technically, the whole fake-kung fu style doesn't work for me. Not many skaters can pull it off, like Michal Brezina's SP at the 2004 Worlds, and these two are rather blah.

For those of you who are trying to figure out why the costumes are so weird, it's because the music is to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but the symbol on Klimov's costume is from Mortal Kombat. Yeah, the notorious video game whose logo is that dragon on Klimov's stomach. Don't believe me? Here's a link to an image of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...at_Logo.svg/1017px-Mortal_Kombat_Logo.svg.png

Not sure if skaters can rip off a logo so blatantly. I sort of want to contact Warner Bros. about it... Anyway, I can imagine Zhao Hongbo rolling his eyes.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 71.20 Short Program
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 67.27 Short Program
3. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 63.25 Short Program
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 59.04 Short Program
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 54.20 Short Program
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 53.34 Short Program
7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 51.07 Short Program
8. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 50.01 Short Program

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Sort of unrelated... but, I'm really curious to see how Iliushechkina / Moscovitch perform at the Warsaw Cup in about 20 minutes seeing as how Dylan's former partner (M-T/M2) did so terribly here.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, and obvs the costumes (which I had mentioned in CoR)... it's a Mortal Kombat symbol for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Must have been like "Well, I guess it's Asian". They really could have tried to go for more traditional wushu type outfits rather than crazy shoulder pads and video game icon.
And because I am an Asian so I couldn't stand their costumes. I mean in the old time we didn't dress up like characters from Star Trek. :hopelessness:
But anyways good skate. Congrats!

apple123

On the Ice
For God's sake, if you wanna skate to eastern music, do it the real way. Don't fake half-***, and call yourself creative. It's very offensive and borderline criminal.

thoakun

Final Flight
And because I am an Asian so I couldn't stand their costumes. I mean in the old time we didn't dress up like characters from Star Trek. :hopelessness:
But anyways good skate. Congrats!
And that leads me to wonder if they have even watched the movie. Aside from the misplaced outfits, their movements look like they could have been skating to Star Trek or any science fantasy-themed fighting game. The only thing screaming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to me is the very recognizable music by Tan Dun.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Poor V/T. They're going to do something from Bollywood... people will rip them to pieces :laugh2:

Meoima

Match Penalty
And that leads me to wonder if they have even watched the movie. Aside from the misplaced outfits, their movements look like they could have been skating to Star Trek or any science fantasy-themed fighting game. The only thing screaming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to me is the very recognizable music by Tan Dun.
Actually Had they skated to Star Trek soundtrack that would make more sense. :laugh2: but anyways I have nothing against them. Technically they are the best today.

apple123

On the Ice
If you compare the pair elements of S/H and S/K, I have to say S/H are so much better than S/K. The throw and the twist of S/H are huge and smooth. Why are S/K the judge's pet? Oh, yes, they are Russian of course.

gold12345

Medalist
Great performance by the Russians! My only critique is the way it ends just kinda abruptly with the StSq (which was a bit spaced apart). Like they need a stronger definitive pose. Also some of the interpretive nuances make no sense with the music (e.g. the hushing by Ksenia during the StSq)... for a martial arts piece they could be incorporating harder, stronger, movements.

I agree. They were very solid, but there is room for the program to improve.

If you compare the pair elements of S/H and S/K, I have to say S/H are so much better than S/K. The throw and the twist of S/H are huge and smooth. Why are S/K the judge's pet? Oh, yes, they are Russian of course.

Sui/Han were a little out of unison on their SBS 3T, so that hurt. You're right that their twist and throw are better than Stolbova/Klimov though. Sui/Han's throw was relatively huge. At least S/K's throw looked a bit better than the one they did last week.

Another thing about Sui/Han- They change positions in their lift so many times, so none of them end up being really definitive or held. I think they could improve there.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sort of unrelated... but, I'm really curious to see how Iliushechkina / Moscovitch perform at the Warsaw Cup in about 20 minutes seeing as how Dylan's former partner (M-T/M2) did so terribly here.

I too am interested. Where should we look for more info once it happens?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I too am interested. Where should we look for more info once it happens?

I just watched it, Lubov had a step out on the sbs jumps, lift and sbs spins were good though, stsq also looked fine to me

they scored around 55 points, didn't see clearly

Last edited: