2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Pairs SP 11/21

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I just watched it, Lubov had a step out on the sbs jumps, lift and sbs spins were good though, stsq also looked fine to me

they scored around 55 points, didn't see clearly

Yep. Around 29 points for TES and 26 for components. Not too bad for 6 months together.

apple123

On the Ice
I agree. They were very solid, but there is room for the program to improve.

Sui/Han were a little out of unison on their SBS 3T, so that hurt. You're right that their twist and throw are better than Stolbova/Klimov though. Sui/Han's throw was relatively huge. At least S/K's throw looked a bit better than the one they did last week.

Another thing about Sui/Han- They change positions in their lift so many times, so none of them end up being really definitive or held. I think they could improve there.

You sound like finding every last excuse to justify the Tes score of S/K. It's just sad. And what's the requirement of changing positions in lift? Are you sure about that?

More important, could you explain the 4 point difference of PCS? It's like day light robbery to me.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
S/H should have been first for me. S/K's PCS should be at most 1 point higher. The IN and CH score should be in the 5s. I suppose the judges could be provincial, so they thought it was so cool and creative. Shame, actually. You just can't trust the judging system anymore.

gold12345

Medalist
You sound like finding every last excuse to justify the Tes score of S/K. It's just sad. And what's the requirement of changing positions in lift? Are you sure about that?

I wasn't really talking about Stolbova/Klimov's TES (but on that note, I don't think their twist GOE should be greater than +1). I was just talking about where Sui/Han could improve a bit. The lifts require difficult position changes and whatnot to increase the level, but S/H change positions a lot times, so it might help to simplify it a tad and hold one or two a bit longer--- it looks like they rush through the positions a bit. But they were very good today overall, no doubt.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 71.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 67.27 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG (CHN) - 63.25 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 59.04 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 54.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 53.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 51.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 50.01 Short Program, 2nd Copy

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
To be fair I enjoy Sui/Han more than S/K. But it's true that their 1st element was not very in-sync so I agree with the placement. IMO the PCS for S/K is a bit too high compared to Sui/Han, who also did very well.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I don't remember S/K claiming they were trying to be traditional. What is the "real way" to skate to Eastern music anyway?

These were supposedly the inspirations for their costumes (from their fan fest thread):

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=788590177871356&id=100001611448148

Interesting inspirations :think:
I just think that their costumes weren't well executed and the video game logo made it more mismatched. Also, I understand why people are "against" their costume. I think they should've added a bit more effort with their packaging if they want that SP to be loved by the audience in China.

Alba

Record Breaker
To be fair I enjoy Sui/Han more than S/K. But it's true that their 1st element was not very in-sync so I agree with the placement. IMO the PCS for S/K is a bit too high compared to Sui/Han, who also did very well.

S/K are gorgeous on the ice. They're powerful, they are so fast with beautiful lines. Just WOW!

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Lol at all the naysayers. Good thing I'm a fan of s/k.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just saying, but there are two S&K's at this event. One of which did not do all that well.

Stolbove & Klimov :cheer: did very well again, but I do not admire that step sequence of theirs all that much. It ends their program on a bit of a flat note. Their steps do not seem particularly connected to each other, and then they just stop skating when they hit the end of the rink, and that's it????

I haven't seen anything so anticlimactic since the end of the movie Airport...What do you mean, the sun came up over the runway, the End!!

meteorlight8

Rinkside
If you compare the pair elements of S/H and S/K, I have to say S/H are so much better than S/K. The throw and the twist of S/H are huge and smooth. Why are S/K the judge's pet? Oh, yes, they are Russian of course.

I agree with you, but to be fair to the judges, S/H DID outscore S/K by quite a bit on their throw and twist, which is the correct result. S/K outscored S/H on SBS jumps - also correct. I don't really have a problem with the TES or S/K being in first, but I think 4 points higher on PCS for S/K is a bit much, and I don't blame you on crying Russian-inflation there. Still, credit to S/K on their freakish consistency.

As to S/K's costumes - that's a different story: it's a TOTAL DISASTER. I'd wager to say almost any Chinese person would think the same. I don't care where they got the inspiration - it's OFFENSIVE to slap a Mortal Kombat logo onto a futuristic costume for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, a traditional Chinese kungfu theme. Either skate to video game music or keep it authentic.

People defending those costumes just don't get it. There are ways to be original and creative with costuming for Eastern music, but what S/K did ... AIN'T IT! Someone linked Yagudin's costume as their inspiration, but the difference is Yagudin's costume kept a lot of the key elements of traditional kungfu costuming, with just a twist on the sleeves to "spice it up." What S/K did was totally butcher the traditional elements and replaced them with something almost unrecognizable, and almost a caricature of traditional Chinese wardrobes (the Mortal Kombat thing just adds more fuel to the fire that they are stereotyping). Whatever, they can do as they please, but they are shooting themselves in the foot for Worlds dressed like that. The audience will have a good chuckle - they're totally playing into the Chinese stereotype that westerners don't know jack about our culture.

noidont

Final Flight
Let's just all agree that the West has no clue about the East and vice versa. Westerners don't know jack about Chinese culture, and Chinese people don't know jack about Western culture. Heck, French people probably don't know jack about German culture, and all those American skaters skating to Russian music probably don't know what they are doing either. It's unlike most Chinese people know anything about, say, Gary Moore (sorry I'm jumping to the other S/K...), or Mortal Kombat (I seriously do not know what that is)...

That being said I have no idea what Ksenia and Fedor think they are doing. That program is so random. I love Ksenia's shirt though. It's very high fashion looking.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Let's just all agree that the West has no clue about the East and vice versa. Westerners don't know jack about Chinese culture, and Chinese people don't know jack about Western culture. Heck, French people probably don't know jack about German culture, and all those American skaters skating to Russian music probably don't know what they are doing either. It's unlike most Chinese people know anything about, say, Gary Moore (sorry I'm jumping to the other S/K...), or Mortal Kombat (I seriously do not know what that is)...

That being said I have no idea what Ksenia and Fedor think they are doing. That program is so random. I love Ksenia's shirt though. It's very high fashion looking.

Yes. It's true. I don't know a thing about Chinese culture, so I think their SP is very creative and interesting. I just don't see anything offencive about it, I can only see original and cool program. Sorry :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes. It's true. I don't know a thing about Chinese culture, so I think their SP is very creative and interesting. I just don't see anything offencive about it, I can only see original and cool program. Sorry :)

It's just a WTH :scratch: thing. Imagine these costumes for Romeo and Juliet or Carmen.

eta: I meant it was not necessarily a matter of knowing a culture well or whether it was offensive. They may have decided to interpret the music on its own without relating to the movie. That may be cool and original.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
It's just a WTH :scratch: thing. Imagine these costumes for Romeo and Juliet or Carmen.

Well, I understand that I don't understand. And I'm not justifying them, they or their coaches should do some research before choosing music, costumes etc.

Alba

Record Breaker
Wow, so that's why. I almost forgot the difference between watching live and video

Sui/Han are very good too, especially her. Just not the same level. Perhaps also because they look a bit small. I liked the Americans too.

Bartek

On the Ice
British Eurosport 2 is supposed to be showing pairs now and they're showing nooker? Are they going to show skating tonight?