2015 NHK Pairs Free Skate | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Pairs Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
Just watched Yu/Jin's performance... pure magic. I really like this program, and some performances are more magical than others, this being one of them (despite the mistakes). It was like I was under a spell. So happy they're in the GPF!

Yes, this. Some people are criticizing this program because they think it's dull, but I don't get that at all. It was quiet, yes, but in that was that creates a moment. Like you said, it casts a spell.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Gotta love the Japanese fans. They show up and they pay attention. Classy too, supportive of everyone.

AprilS

On the Ice
Are the Chinese and American flags switched, or is it supposed to be seen from the audience-hand side? :shrug:

belladashwood

Rinkside
GPF Finalists

D/R - 30 (SC -15, NHK -15)
K/S - 28 (CoC -15, CoR -13)
S/H - 28 (SA -15, CoC - 13)
St/Kl - 24 (SA - 9, CoR -15)
Sc/Kn - 24 (SA - 13, NHK - 11)
Y/J - 24 (CoC -11, NHK - 13)
S/B - 22 (SA - 11, TEB - 11) *Qualifed b/c of 7th qualifier rule amended b/c of TEB cancellation

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, this. Some people are criticizing this program because they think it's dull, but I don't get that at all. It was quiet, yes, but in that was that creates a moment. Like you said, it casts a spell.

I've always loved Y/J's FS from the first time I saw it. It's probably considered boring to audiences who like more showy and exciting programs, but I enjoy the quiet grace and elegance of it. It also matches their skating style nicely.

MIM

Medalist
The best performance was Y/J and I/M for me. They bring something beyond... Truly magical, inspiring, captivating..

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just read on twitter that S/K are the first American pair to make the GPF in eight years! Congrats :cheer:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Been fun chatting, congrats to all medalists and I'll see you guys in the morning. I need to sleep. Go Yuzu and Kaetlyn!!!

Lota

Record Breaker
What does Tarasova think of Scimeca/Knierim?

A tad less enchanted :laugh: She thought they were a beautiful couple, a bit funny (the faces she was making), appreciated them going for a quad, said almost everything was level 4. With Yu/Jin, she was talking both about the technical and emotional aspects of their performance, with Scimeca/Knierim she just talked more or less about various technical details, etc. Then she and the other commentator were trying to figure out who the hell got into the GPF (all top 3 teams did) :laugh:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Have to check again, but S/K got a V on their combo spin, which cost them silver. Can't find the FS due to copyright, but wonder what happened?!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's very polarizing. There are many times during that program that I'm thinking, "Man, I'm SUPPOSED to like this program... but for some reason I'm not."

skatemouse

On the Ice
Someone gave the S/K 4Tw a +3 GOE. :unsure:
Having watched it several times in slowmo it almost seems she over-rotated leaving her left hip open which caused her to flip a bit...so it was huge over-HUGE @@ could be why the confusion. It really was not horrible it was actually completed it was landed set down and the edge out after landing she got caught it looked like?? but I'm not a twist expert just watching rotation. They should have received more for it in my opinion...Overall they are getting better and better when they peak...:hap93: YEA USA@@@

turgon97

On the Ice
Was just #7 high or something? He attempted to give S/K a +3 GOE on that effed up twist. In fact, he gave all the elements, even the obviously faulty sbs, positive GOE's.

tulosai

Record Breaker
A few random thoughts now that I've watched most of this:

1. Congrats to the GP finalists, including Charlie and Julianne!

2. I gather I'm in the extreme minority, but I actually enjoy Bazarova and Deputat's LP when skated 'well'. Obviously some things still could use improvement but this is the first time I've seen it even remotely clean and to me it made a big difference. I do think these two are definitely improving but I'm not sure how far they can hope to rise with the other Russian pairs being SO strong.

3. I am gutted for James/Cipres. It really is very sad that a small mistake made such a big difference to their GPF hopes.

4. I wish Dylan and Kirsten could get back together. I thought I/M had good promise last year but this year I am increasingly losing hope. I gather I'm also in the minority on this one but while their program was better here than previously it still just lacks magic, and her consistency is in the toilet. As for Michael and Kirsten, I literally fear for her safety when she skates with him. I don't think either team is probably going anywhere fast at this point.

5. The top three teams were all very disappointing to me- none of them really seemed into their performances today, after the mistakes it was like they were all just phoning it in and going through the motions. I agree with the comments that Y/J's synchronization in the SBS spins was just awesome though!