2015 Russian Nationals Gala | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Gala

Lipea

Final Flight
Anna Pogo...I have no idea what is happening there but I don't like it. At all. And what was up with her jumps? :hopelessness:

And Sergei's EX was really nice and the effects that his black gloves gave made him look like he had no hands. :unsure: Was it intentional?

She skates Leeloo from 5th element. You guys just don't get it: that movie used to be super popular in Russia. I understand that skating her wonderful Rise like a Phoenix program would not be very appropriate for current Russian laws. She did not do well though; well, they just made this program, so she probably hasn't practice it enough yet. Great costume, and I can definitely see Mila Jovovich in her.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
She skates Leeloo from 5th element. You guys just don't get it: that movie used to be super popular in Russia. I understand that skating her wonderful Rise like a Phoenix program would not be very appropriate for current Russian laws. She did not do well though; well, they just made this program, so she probably hasn't practice it enough yet. Great costume, and I can definitely see Mila Jovovich in her.

But she did skate to Rise Like A Phoenix at the Cup of Russia. I don't think she changed it for that reason (unless there was some kind of backlash after CoR which we didn't hear about).

I think the new ex could be really great too, but it definitely needs some tweaking.

LRK

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's the same camera guy that zoomed in on Brian's package for several lingering shots at Moscow Worlds a few years ago.

That's totally not why I have that video saved in my favorites, though. :slink::eek::

The photo with Julia is extremely creepy, not just because she is a minor, but her coaches were standing right there and did nothing! Terrible...

Wasn't Brian's hand bleeding?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh, my...I never even noticed that. :laugh2: And I've watched that video a few times...what does that say about me? :hopelessness:
I knew his hand was bleeding at the time, but I never figured out that's why the photographer used the shot. What does that say about me? :laugh:

Manitou

Medalist
Anything is better than when they went for this creepy angle last year. I don't approve :no:

https://pp.vk.me/c313919/v313919213/55af/zDdjrCIvmVY.jpg

Yes, it may look weird, especially in overly-correct Western cultures, but probably the photographer meant nothing wrong. Just kind of "creative" or "dramatic" angle. I shoot a lot of weddings and other social events and those floor level angles add a lot to dramaturgy. They mean nothing creepy. Just part of creative photography.
If the cameraman could read these posts he would ridicule them.
Anyway, you see what you want to see. The creepiness is in your eyes that comes from the character, which in turn comes from the culture, not in the situation itself.
I am sure 99% of situations that are perfectly normal in your eyes would never pass in the Middle East or other parts of the globe.

I couldn't find a better example on internet, there are better, but this image was taken from the floor level:
http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Screen-Shot-2014-01-15-at-10.33.32-AM.jpg

Is it creepy?

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I knew his hand was bleeding at the time, but I never figured out that's why the photographer used the shot. What does that say about me? :laugh:

Well, in everyone's defence that shot was nothing if not... er... awkward.

@karne - Actuallly I was pretty much looking anywhere and everywhere except at the screen, because it felt so embarrasing :eek:: - almost stalker-ish in a way! (Like a too loving close-up down a ladies' bodice... ) It was my husband who said: "Look, his hand is bleeding!" And I thought: "Ohhhh.... " And then: "Phew!"

About the gala - I must say about the finale that I thought Kovtun's fall was funny - not in a "Hahaha he fell hihihi!" sort of way - but because of what he did with it - himself turning it into something funny. I thought it was quite... endearing, actually; and nice to see him having a sense of humour about himself.:)

LisaM

Medalist
About the gala - I must say about the finale that I thought Kovtun's fall was funny - not in a "Hahaha he fell hihihi!" sort of way - but because of what he did with it - himself turning it into something funny. I thought it was quite... endearing, actually; and nice to see him having a sense of humour about himself.:)

Same! That entire dance at the end with all the guys was nice to see.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In my rush to try to get the videos from Japanese Nationals watched before I accidentally saw any results, I forgot that I hadn't finished watching the Russian Gala.

So, now that I have, here is the entire running order.

First Half

1. Artur GACHINSKI
2. Tiffany ZAHORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO
3. Serafima SAKHANOVICH
4. Vera BAZAROVA / Andrei DEPUTAT
5. Konstantin MENSHOV
6. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV
7. Anna POGORILAYA
8. Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV
9. Adian PITKEEV
10. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
11. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
12. Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV
13. Evgeni PLUSCHENKO

Second Half
14. Sergei VORONOV
15. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
16. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
17. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
18. Maxim KOVTUN
19. Elena ILINYKH / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN
20. Elena RADIONOVA
21. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
22. Evgeni PLUSCHENKO
23. FINALE

Absolutely delighted to see that they gave The Great Plushenko a second routine. He deserved it!!! :biggrin: :cheer:

I meant to comment about this after the GP Final Gala, but I forgot. So, can I just say that I absolutely love Stolbova / Klimov's new Gala routine, and the references to the Olympics. HOWEVER, I think that the t-shirts they wear in the second half of the routine are unbalanced. Fedor's t-shirt is just too plain compared to Ksenia's. It would have looked a lot better if he had worn a t-shirt with one of the other mascots on it, rather than the Sochi 2014 logo. That said, it is a good sign when the only thing you can complain about with a routine is the picture on a t-shirt! :laugh:

I agree with LRK about Kovtun's fall in the finale. I would love to see somebody try to cover a fall up like that in a competition, just to see if anybody fell for it (pardon the pun!)

All in all, it was a brilliant Gala. I only really have 2 complaints. Firstly, it was too abrupt a start - it could have been doing with some sort of opening rather than just having the lights go down and going straight into Artur's routine.

And secondly, we could have done without Maxim's hip thrusting! :hopelessness:

CaroLiza_fan

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree with LRK about Kovtun's fall in the finale. I would love to see somebody try to cover a fall up like that in a competition, just to see if anybody fell for it (pardon the pun!)

CaroLiza_fan

Some impromptu breakdance moves - I for one would love it.:)

Interview with a (dejected) skater X after performance: "I wanted to try some innovative choreography, but it seems the judges prefer a more traditional approach."

I suppose it wouldn't work with all kinds of music - something particularly Soulful, tinkly piano music &c - but, for instance, someone like Chafik Besseghier might want to consider giving it a try. ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
yes it was

and no I did not notice the first time.

I also was expecting Brian Orser so I was a bit confused going in.

I'm the opposite - "Brian" for me is always Brian Joubert, so when I read "Brian", I'm a bit taken aback when I realise it's Brian Orser. :) Anyway, I think of far fewer coaches by their first name anyway, I would never dream of calling Mishin merely "Alexei" for example. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I love how Kovtun sold the fall. Too bad there's no way he could try it in competition this season--neither of his programs lend themselves to that. :) But maybe one of the French guys could try it. Continues the tradition of Philippe Candeloro and his "spin" too. :laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm the opposite - "Brian" for me is always Brian Joubert, so when I read "Brian", I'm a bit taken aback when I realise it's Brian Orser. :) Anyway, I think of far fewer coaches by their first name anyway, I would never dream of calling Mishin merely "Alexei" for example. :)

It seems some skaters end up with last names some by first. Brian Orser does seem to be called "Brian" more often than "Orser"

Sometimes it just is for sanity. So much easier to say Tom Z than try to spell his last name.

Plus if you were to just say "Alexei" it kinda leaves it vague.

LRK

Record Breaker
It seems some skaters end up with last names some by first. Brian Orser does seem to be called "Brian" more often than "Orser"

Sometimes it just is for sanity. So much easier to say Tom Z than try to spell his last name.

Just curious - why is "Alexei" vaguer than "Brian"?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

LOL, this kind of stuff is just a matter of personal opinion/assumptions/expectations.

When I hear Brian, my first thought is Boitano :) -- not Orser, and not Joubert.

When I hear Scott, my first thought is Moir :) -- but the intended reference just as often is to Hamilton.

etc., etc.

(I am guilty as charged re being too lazy to spell out Tom Z's last name. :laugh:)

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Because there seem to be a lot of Alexeis out there that is all. It seems a rather common Russian name. Alexei Urmanov, Alexei Yagudin, Alexei Mishin, etc. It just seems like there a quite a few Alexeis in the figure skating world, seems more so than Brain.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I didn't mean to cause any confusion...I usually type "BOrser" when I refer to Canadian Brian. It would have been even more shocking if we had gotten closeups of his package at Moscow Worlds. :drama: