2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

minze

Medalist
Then from this standpoint Yulia is accomplished too, so she can retire now and live happily ever after.
So there is no reason to even discuss Yulia. Nothing to talk about at all.

--
If Yulia choose to retire today, she should be proud of herself
Junior Champion
Olympic gold (team event) but gold nevertheless
Several GP medals
European Champion
World Podium

There are skaters that have been around longer than Yulia and dont have half of her acomplishments

By the way, Yulia had one bad season, not the end of her career. See Liza last year

fruitbasket

Rinkside
Not to be rude to anyone or any skater but the only reason why Liza or even Elena are winning competitions this season is because Mao, Carolina and Yuna are no longer competing. Although Elena did skate clean I think she was way over-scored at nationals. Yuna Kim got 74.92 on her short program in Sochi this year and Elena got 74.13 which was waaay to high and not even near Yuna's performance at Sochi. So this season is kind of boring because non of the skaters are really pulling at a level we are used to see at those who are ranked 1,2,3 in competitions, which is sad. As for Yulia, I feel very sorry for her but agree with a lot that she needs a break, and I wish she comes more powerful next season and shows everyone figure skating at a high level!

Totally agree2222222222

Manitou

Medalist
If Yulia choose to retire today, she should be proud of herself
Junior Champion
Olympic gold (team event) but gold nevertheless
Several GP medals
European Champion
World Podium

There are skaters that have been around longer than Yulia and dont have half of her acomplishments

By the way, Yulia had one bad season, not the end of her career. See Liza last year

I wish Yulia a successful comeback, but the comparison is not correct: Liza lost year due to an objective injury. And injures heal. Yulia lost the season due to a mental breakdown, which heals much much harder. And if a person experiences a mental breakdown it shows the person is vulnerable to it. And that is a part of person's characteristics, which is often not healable.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
I wish Yulia a successful comeback, but the comparison is not correct: Liza lost year due to an objective injury. And injures heal. Yulia lost the season due to a mental breakdown, which heals much much harder. And if a person experiences a mental breakdown it shows the person is vulnerable to it. And that is a part of person's characteristics, which is often not healable.

Mental breakdown is an speculation. She is tired after a long season. She needs to find her motivation. But Mental breakdown?

Manitou

Medalist
Mental breakdown is an speculation. She is tired after a long season. She needs to find her motivation. But Mental breakdown?

She had half a year to rest and prepare. I compare skaters to tennis players. Tennis players are active all year round, tournament after tournament, some matches take three to four exhausting hours, only to be ready for the next day's equally exhausting match. Week after week, month after month. All year. And they keep going and going. Skaters have maybe five big competitions a year, each of them less than 10 minutes all together. So don't tell me Yulia is tired.

She started the new season unprepared and then ended it with a complete meltdown. She ended the season worse than she started it. Free of injury! Then what is it?

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Liza herself said that her troubles were mainly mental. And there's evidence to believe that: She could've won 2013 Europeans but bombed the SP and got bronze despite winning the LP. She skated a great LP at SA last year, but again, her SP left her far behind and the judges weren't even ready to reward her LP by that point. Of course she had struggles with injury and growth, but those weren't the only reasons. Liza herself admits that she had issues with nerves. And she came back from it.

Every single skater has "choked." I don't know why you're singling out Yulia as the sole example who will never get it back!! after only one season. Btw, she did have boot problems, if you're looking for an "objective reason."

Manitou

Medalist
^^ I am her fan and I really hope that everything I wrote about Yulia is a complete nonsense...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First, any lady who is not Liza has no way to play the "tired" excuse. Not after the season Liza's had.

Liza's problems were multiple over the past few years: her father died, her body changed, she became injured as a result, and the injuries piled up. She was getting browbeaten about her weight (people were even posting comments on her vk page telling her to lose weight), people had dumped her off the bandwagon, and she was told to retire because she was finished.

That she is back at all is a testament to her incredible strength of will, Mishin's correct attitude towards her body changes, and the impeccable jump technique that she has had for many years.

Yulia's problem, as I see it, is predominantly technical. I said last season - and was attacked and howled down for it - that her jumps would have difficulty surviving when her body changed. Of course, I always hope this is not going to happen, but it is happening. She has changed appearance slightly, and her jumps are quickly destabilising. 16 is more or less the time when a girl has finished her vertical growth and starts to develop the other areas more. Then, of course, Yulia puts more pressure on herself, so the mental repercussions start to hit.

How she and her coaching team handle the next few years is going to be interesting. I almost want her to go to Mishin!

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
Lipnitskaya is clearly having a lot of mental troubles, too. Of course we can only speculate. I obviously cannot testify to her having a mental breakdown, but I don't think it would be too far off to suggest she has fallen ill to depression. You can tell something is very clearly off, she has testified to her life being hard to live, and clearly Eteri and those around her seem especially concerned about her wellbeing.

LRK

Record Breaker
Isn't Julia one who is always hard on herself when she makes mistakes - regardless of the results? I seem to remember that from last year. This year must have been horrible for her from that standpoint, as well as others - I do hope she isn't critcising herself too harshly, but giving herself a chance, so to speak, and can work through whatever problems are troubling her - be they boot problems, or growth related, or nerves... Wishing you the very best, Julia! :)

(I haven't seen her skate here... and am not sure if I want to. It sounds heartbreaking.)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She had half a year to rest and prepare. I compare skaters to tennis players. Tennis players are active all year round, tournament after tournament, some matches take three to four exhausting hours, only to be ready for the next day's equally exhausting match. Week after week, month after month. All year. And they keep going and going. Skaters have maybe five big competitions a year, each of them less than 10 minutes all together. So don't tell me Yulia is tired.
Utterly ridiculous nonsense.

As if you can compare tennis players to figure skaters.
As if all figure skaters are the same, and all tennis players are the same.
As if all tennis players are steely superhumans, who are never tired, and never stressed.
As if their training and competitions can be compared.
As if figure skaters do not have demands on their time between competitions.
As if every tennis player is 16 years old, is as famous as Lipnitskaia, and has a media and fan circus following them, the size of her's.
etc
etc
etc

First, any lady who is not Liza has no way to play the "tired" excuse. Not after the season Liza's had.
Skaters are human.
And every human is different.
Not everyone can be as strong as Liza.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am worried about Yulia. But it's just one season and she's just 16 not 26.
The point is does she want to continue or nor? If she does, I hope she will have better preparation both mentally and physically.
If she doesn't, it's fine, she has archived so much, she's already a champion. I am still a fan.
Of course I hope to see more. But whatever makes her happy is fine with me.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I am worried about Yulia. But it's just one season and she's just 16 not 26.
The point is does she want to continue or nor? If she does, I hope she will have better preparation both mentally and physically.
If she doesn't, it's fine, she has archived so much, she's already a champion. I am still a fan.
Of course I hope to see more. But whatever makes her happy is fine with me.

Agree. If she will want to stop I'm fine with it. She already had some really great programs(maybe I'm in minority but I like SP this season-especially at the GPF), she has great results. I don't understand people who are so bad to her. Julia had almost no childhood since she started to train at Moscow(and yes I know many other skaters and athletes had no childhood too).She is homeschooled since that time, never goes to school like a normal teenager, she can't go shopping or go somewhere with friends.Plus all this crazy media attention she got after the olympics..AND SOMEONE SAYS SHE CAN'T BE TIRED!!!???:bang: :bang: :bang: ...This hard work which she has done since early age paid off(remember last season?)and if she's tired mentally or psychicaly I'm not surprised. And IMO I think she is much stronger than stop skating after one bad season and after all these years she dedicated to sport.

I said that. If someone can't handle five competitions a year 10 minutes each, then the person is not suitable for the competitive sport.

The ebb and flow of conditioning seems to vary from sport to sport. A professional basketball player goes 48 minutes a game, night after night, for 82 games. A professional boxer may have only one fight per year, with about six months total preparation,including about three months of intensive training, followed by six months rest. If you ask a fighter in the off season, "are you in shape?" he will say, "I'm in shape, but I'm not in ring shape."

Michelle Kwan once said something similar. She was asked how she can do to whole COI tour (maybe 80 dates back in the day) and deliver the full technical content, triple jumps and all, at every stop. She said basically the same thing as boxers do. She was in shape but she wasn't in competition shape.

A number of figure skaters (Charlie White recently, for instance) have discussed the issue of proper pacing of training and rest. It is an interesting topic. I think there is more to it than meets the eye of people looking in from the outside.