2015 Russian Nationals Mens FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Mens FS

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well, there are many skaters ho are doing quads in practice quite easly, but it is diffrent thing to do it under pressure in competition when your body is shaking from nerves :biggrin:

It's clearly no confidence for Gachinski. It's even easily to read from his body language in performance. Today he attacked first quad sal with confidence and did it, but for quad toe there already was visible hesitation and disaster started

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I remember Chris saying that Gachinsky had landed everything in practice (at SA) - so, if that is the case, it must be some kind of mental block?

I have heard of this also. It would not surprise me. He is haunted and chased by a ghost and a shadow and I don't think he will ever be free of it. He does not believe in his own ability.

robinhood

Rinkside
Could any of you guys explain to me Kovtun's jumping technique? It looks very odd, not only for the quads but also his other jumps....specially combinations. It's as if his upper body is detached from his bottom...Is that prerrotation? Has anybody see another top skater that jumps like that?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Could any of you guys explain to me Kovtun's jumping technique? It looks very odd, not only for the quads but also his other jumps....specially combinations. It's as if his upper body is detached from his bottom...Is that prerrotation? Has anybody see another top skater that jumps like that?

It's called 'bad jumping technique' and no one understands it. :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun said in an interview he ignored technique lessons in mishin camp and did whatever worked for him to accomplish a jump

owl

On the Ice
It's called 'bad jumping technique' and no one understands it. :biggrin:

:rofl:

Kovtun said in an interview he ignored technique lessons in mishin camp and did whatever worked for him to accomplish a jump

Well...whatever floats his boat, I guess? But I know basically nothing about jump technique (all I can see is that Kovtun looks really strange in comparison to other skaters LOL). Would jumping like that have any negative effects on his body??

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yay Pitkeev! Maybe Kovtun and Voronov can get 3 mens spots for Worlds next year! Do the Russian men only have 2 spots to Euros as well, or 3? If it's 3, could Pitkeev ever go to Euros and then Junior Worlds?

gmyers

Record Breaker
:rofl:

Well...whatever floats his boat, I guess? But I know basically nothing about jump technique (all I can see is that Kovtun looks really strange in comparison to other skaters LOL). Would jumping like that have any negative effects on his body??

I am positive jump technique lessons are not just to make a jump reliable but for longevity!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It can't be good for his back, for a start. And if things start going wrong technically for him, I imagine it would be nigh impossible to fix.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yay Pitkeev! Maybe Kovtun and Voronov can get 3 mens spots for Worlds next year! Do the Russian men only have 2 spots to Euros as well, or 3? If it's 3, could Pitkeev ever go to Euros and then Junior Worlds?
They have three spots for Europeans. So either Menshov or Pitkeev will be there.

Meoima

Match Penalty
;) well it's call being unique then. I don't know but I feel very uncomfortable watching him jump. My back feels hurt as well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lol, are we going to go after everyone with awkward jumping technique? Ito's leg wrap? Murakami's flip entry? Lip's double axel?

Kovtun's technique may not look pretty or be a classic technique but it works for him.

Funny how somebody with "bad technique" is able to execute two different quads, a 3A+3T, and has good consistency with his other triple jumps. Oh, and is a 2-time Russian champion.

And let's make one distinction.... Kovtun's quads isn't bad technique, is a different technique with unaesthetic positioning going into his quads at that. If it were truly bad technique, he wouldn't land his quads and axels with the consistency he has. Funny how Kovtun's landed more quad salchows with his bad technique compared to skaters like Hanyu with "good technique" who have only landed a few 4S.

Last edited:

leolion11

On the Ice
And let's make one distinction.... Kovtun's quads isn't bad technique, is a different technique with unaesthetic positioning going into his quads at that. If it were truly bad technique, he wouldn't land his quads and axels with the consistency he has. Funny how Kovtun's landed more quad salchows with his bad technique compared to skaters like Hanyu with "good technique" who have only landed a few 4S.

Lol are you serious :rofl: His quads aren't that consistent too. He's pretty prone to popping them so I have no idea what you're going on about. And why do you have to keep bringing other skaters into the convo? :confused:

Anyway, both Kovtun and Voronov were blatantly overmarked on PCS. High 8s and 9s for PCS? :laugh2: They're nowhere near that level in reality and they won't ever get that kind of PCS in international competition.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
^^^ when there is a chance to bash Hanyu bring up it, CSG can also said Patrick Chan with his bad 3A but of course that won't happen :slink:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd rather watch Hanyu's 4S (even when he falls and noodles) than Kovtun landing them any day.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^^^ when there is a chance to bash Hanyu bring up it, CSG can also said Patrick Chan with his bad 3A but of course that won't happen :slink:

Sure, add Chan's 3A to that. Bad technique but he's landed it with more consistency than other guys with suppose good axel technique.

But Chan's is an example of poor technique, Kovtun's is an example of poor aesthetics. If anything hunching over seems to help him spring up into his quads. He wouldn't attempt quads and land them if his technique was legitimately bad. Ito's leg wrap looks bad but it's not "poor technique". Bad technique is when your setup for a jump or way of checking out of your jump actually compromises the success of the jump. And if you want to argue that the aesthetics of the jump is part of technique, sure, but it's not as important as getting the jump done.

Lol, as if Kovtun's back being 20 degrees higher would suddenly make people enjoy his perrmances. He's a bratty guy but I don't let that detract from appreciating strong technical performances from him. It's ridiculous how people look at the posture of his quads instead of giving him props for having the guts to go for two different quads - which neither Javier or Hanyu does - in his SP.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lol are you serious :rofl: His quads aren't that consistent too. He's pretty prone to popping them so I have no idea what you're going on about. And why do you have to keep bringing other skaters into the convo? :confused:

Anyway, both Kovtun and Voronov were blatantly overmarked on PCS. High 8s and 9s for PCS? :laugh2: They're nowhere near that level in reality and they won't ever get that kind of PCS in international competition.

Not that consistent? Is that why he landed 3/4 quads cleanly here? And he popped one quad all season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

When was the second one?

And if you're talking about pops, turning a quad toe to a triple isn't a "pop" btw.

Here's his quad progress this season. 4/6 clean 4S, 5/7 clean 4T

CHN:
Clean 4S, clean 4T
Fall 4S, clean 4T, tripled second 4T

TEB:
Clean 4S, fall 4T
Clean 4S, clean 4T

NATS:
Clean 4S, clean 4T
Doubled 4S, clean 4T

9/13 quads. And three clean quads in every competition. I'd compare his quad success rate this season to other guys like Fernandez and Hanyu but I think the point is clear that while his technique isn't pretty, his consistency is.

Last edited: