2015 Skate America Ice Dance SD Oct 23 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ice Dance SD Oct 23

Ekm

On the Ice
Shibs, first, needs to be their own federation's number one before Marina even entertains the thought. Ain't nothing she can do.

S/K certainly aren't their feds number one either, and yet they're Marina's priority, so I'm not really seeing this as relevant (unless there's something else at play $?).

whatif

Medalist
S/K certainly aren't their feds number one either, and yet they're Marina's priority, so I'm not really seeing this as relevant (unless there's something else at play $?).

There is NO Number One is Russia. It's open hunting season over there and stakes are higher.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Stakes are obviously different for different teams.

If I were them, and obviously I am not, a team like YM's first priority should be to leave a favorable overall impression in the first year at seniors. That means, among other things, no big, visible errors, including slip ups.

A team like HB should aim to build on their favorable senior debut last year. They have the quality, only ones to get level 4 for RW pattern here at SA. Nice FD. They can do it.

A team like SK needs to work its way back into the ranks. So far so good. If they have a clean year with relatively good scores they should be in good shape to challenge top teams next year. So, although there is no secure Russian #1 now with BS in the mix, I don't think SK are in a position to go for Russian #1 this year.

A team like GP is challenging the top teams. They need to change their SD or that challenge will not be successful. Great FD, best FD I've see so far this season, so at least there they have the goods.

CB needs to do what they can to stay at the top.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
There is NO Number One is Russia. It's open hunting season over there and stakes are higher.

With the depth of talent I forsee rising in Russia, this may be the case for a number of seasons. So for an ambitious choreographer, I have a feeling this might be a more exciting project. Just saying....I'm assuming you take Number 1 to mean, an overwhelmingly dominant team.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
There may be no clear number one in Russia, but there are at least 3 teams with a better claim to it than S/K. B/S are multiple national champs, former European champs and world medallists. I/Z are current national champs, had the highest finish of any Russian team at Worlds last year, & have scored higher than S/K already this season. S/B are European medallists. S/K have, so far, one SD that scored in the low sixties and that's it. Plus there are only two spots available for Worlds. You would think Marina would be better off paying more attention to the Shibs as they are pretty much assured to have assignments after Nats, where as no one knows what will happen in Russia.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
There may be no clear number one in Russia, but there are at least 3 teams with a better claim to it than S/K. B/S are multiple national champs, former European champs and world medallists. I/Z are current national champs, had the highest finish of any Russian team at Worlds last year, & have scored higher than S/K already this season. S/B are European medallists. S/K have, so far, one SD that scored in the low sixties and that's it. Plus there are only two spots available for Worlds. You would think Marina would be better off paying more attention to the Shibs as they are pretty much assured to have assignments after Nats, where as no one knows what will happen in Russia.

I find it pretty laughable that one SD in the 60's makes them contenders. Absolutely laughable.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Honestly, comparing marks at this point in the season is kinda pointless. We should just see what would happen once COR happens. That say, if S/K managed to do well in the free and get themselves in the podium here, I do think their mark is going to increase. They should still fix their lift and tighten up their twizzles though if they want to contend.

uhh

Medalist
I find it pretty laughable that one SD in the 60's makes them contenders. Absolutely laughable.

I guess everyone is excited because they look better than last year, and they have clearly improved a lot, and at least they have the worlds minimums. But there are still big problems - the RW was slow, off the beat (Nikita used to have the same problem in I/K's waltz in their Swan Lake) and Victoria got neither of the woman only key points in the RW. Considering one of those KPs is just a simple mohawk that you would learn in basic classes way before you get into even the lowest judged levels.... I don't know. Plus lift was over long in both the actual performance and in every practice video we've seen, and the PCS is only slightly above what S/B got for their SD with a fall at Worlds.

We haven't even seen their FD, or seen how the international judges receive S/B, M/K, B/S or how a full panel score I/Z on PCS, so how can anyone make any proclamations at all? S/K have improved, but none of the other teams were sitting on their asses all summer either.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker

I would say it's not the mark, but quality of the short dance and quality of their elements. But I agree, they need to show a consistency to be a real contenders for top spot. Too bad for them they skipped Challengers.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I would say it's not the mark, but quality of the short dance and quality of their elements. But I agree, they need to show a consistency to be a real contenders for top spot. Too bad for them they skipped Challengers.

He was injured so I understand skipping challengers. Aside from missed key points the lift was simple and Nikita needs to control his upper body during the twizzles. They look a bit cleaner than last year.

Snow63

Record Breaker
He was injured so I understand skipping challengers. Aside from missed key points the lift was simple and Nikita needs to control his upper body during the twizzles. They look a bit cleaner than last year.

What do you mean simple? Level 4 rotational lift is not simple. And twizzles will always be their problem, he's just uncontrollable twizzler :biggrin:
As for key points, well, yeah. Miss Chock's inside mohawk wasn't clean too, doesn't mean she's not going to hit it next time. Same goes for Sinitsina. :shrug: But their timing needs some work, it's true. It looks like they chasing the music, not skating to it, during some moments of the pattern.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
The problem with the lift is that he's rotating nowhere near fast enough to get through 5 full rotations within 6 seconds of lifting her, or for her 4 rotations in the full split position because she takes a while to get fully extended. He didn't get onto one foot for the exit feature until after 6 seconds was up. So it's either lift for longer and take the extended lift deduction, or come down within the required time but only get level 3 at best.

Snow63

Record Breaker
The problem with the lift is that he's rotating nowhere near fast enough to get through 5 full rotations within 6 seconds of lifting her, or for her 4 rotations in the full split position because she takes a while to get fully extended. He didn't get onto one foot for the exit feature until after 6 seconds was up. So it's either lift for longer and take the extended lift deduction, or come down within the required time but only get level 3 at best.

Hmm.. thanks for the explanation. I wonder if he can rotate faster, and if not why they kept it :scratch: And speaking about lifts, I hope his spread-eagle pose gone forever, and we will not see it in their FD. It's scary to watch :biggrin:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Just one thing to say: Poirier/Gilles were AWESOME. Short Dance has always been of bit boring event for me because all pairs usually end up looking the samey, so massive kudos to P/G for creativity. That choreo was different, went with the music like maple surup with pancakes and the eye-searing costumes kicked ***. I saw that program before (I think it was a practice video) and my thought wss that the dancing wasn't over the top enough for thosr costumes. I happy that the final result is fantastic and everything meshes excellently.

Marta25

Medalist
Hmm.. thanks for the explanation. I wonder if he can rotate faster, and if not why they kept it :scratch: And speaking about lifts, I hope his spread-eagle pose gone forever, and we will not see it in their FD. It's scary to watch :biggrin:

I second that. That fall at NHK was awful.

Anyway, I`m not so sure what to say about C/B`s SD and the many changed music options. Judges seem to love them, so I think any music would have done the job for them, but if judges warned them at Nebelhorn that Dark Eyes isn`t fulfilling the reuquirments, I guess they were right to change it.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I haven't been a fan of Chock/Bates in the past but they converted me last night. Their skate was great: good speed, nice lift, good connection to each other and the music. They skate with confidence and an "it" factor that doesn't come across to me in videos but live, WOW!

Hawayek/Baker: in person the things I don't like about them were glaring. He is so little and no amount of facial hair will make him look mature. Her dress needs yards less fabric because it makes her look hippy and she doesn't have hips! But loved seeing their coach in the K&C

Cannuscio/McManus, not their night. Still love their program but their lesser skating skills very apparent. I think they need to change their twizzles, they look small and messy

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawayek/Baker: in person the things I don't like about them were glaring. He is so little and no amount of facial hair will make him look mature. Her dress needs yards less fabric because it makes her look hippy and she doesn't have hips! But loved seeing their coach in the K&C

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think it's right to criticize body image.