2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23 | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23

katymay

Medalist
I completely don't get the opinion that Karen Chen was underscored on PCS. Her elements were rushed and unfinished to my eyes and the choreography was rather mediocre, She was nowhere near Medvedeva or Gracie Gold or even Lipnitkaia who had some character to her program.

I loved Gracie and Evgenia and Julia. Julia's program is great and she did show some attitude but this program needs even more. Hopefully this is something she will improve throught the season. Evegenia was brilliant. I'm seldom into those lyrical programs but this was great and she skated with surprising polish for her age. Plus, the backloading and starting from the step sequence caused her program to stand out, good choreography. Gracie always left me cold in the past but her performance here converted me. :clap: Satoko was good, I could tell, but unlike Gracie she hasn't completely convinced me yet.I definitely prefer somwhat fiesty Satoko than princessy Satoko. Elizabet Tursynbaeva was a bit disappointing, and I'm a fan. She's a rare instance of a delicate butterfly that I like, but I could use a bit more engagement into her program. Alaine Chartrand, on the other hand, has great energy, it's a blast to watch her.

I think Karen Chen was grossly underscored PCS. The only score I would have kept low was "interpretation". Unlike a few of the skaters ranked above her (PCS), she had no built in rest, she has huge speed, and IMO her skating skills are as good as or better than the others above her. What some see as 'rushing' I see is a complete lack of telegraphing of jumps. Maybe next year she can have a program where she stands in one place, waves her arms around and makes dramatic faces.

katymay

Medalist
Karen Chen might be U.S.'s best hope for a medal in ladies skating.

I agree. She has the WOW factor with the jumps, great speed, attack and beautiful spins and flexibility. I think she has a very good chance to win the Olympics. (As well as her training partner-Le-While the Russians are fun to watch, most of them have tiny anemic jumps.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I agree. She has the WOW factor with the jumps, great speed, attack and beautiful spins and flexibility. I think she has a very good chance to win the Olympics. (As well as her training partner-Le-While the Russians are fun to watch, most of them have tiny anemic jumps.
Haha katymay you may want to take a look at this Russian girl...

I agree wholeheartedly on Karen's great qualities though.

And I have to say it... For me, Zhenya's jumps are a pain to watch. They just look so... labored, especially those arms-half-bent tano jumps. I don't know why anyone enjoys them. Her lutz entry seemed much improved this season (we will see it today) from the weird loop entry that used to bug the hell out of me, so kudos for that... But I'm still not one to get behind her style and jump techinque... yet

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
LMAO. I love how bent out of shape some people can get about something so trivial.

She is a new senior on the scene and she just won the SP. Let's have some fun with it while we can.

I wasn't making fun of her name in a bad way. I was making an endearing remark by purposefully messing up her name, to further state the point of how this newcomer came out and decimated the field.

Medvedeva isn't even a complicated name though. Think ex Russian president, add an A. It didn't sound endearing.

Rissa

Record Breaker
She has the WOW factor with the jumps, great speed, attack and beautiful spins and flexibility..

Wow factor? Karen Chen? Um lol, ok then. I guess it really depends on the beholder because I saw none of it. :shrug:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Haha katymay you may want to take a look at this Russian girl...

I agree wholeheartedly on Karen's great qualities though.

And I have to say it... For me, Zhenya's jumps are a pain to watch. They just look so... labored, especially those arms-half-bent tano jumps. I don't know why anyone enjoys them. Her lutz entry seemed much improved this season (we will see it today) from the weird loop entry that used to bug the hell out of me, so kudos for that... But I'm still not one to get behind her style and jump techinque... yet

Most of the Russian girls actually don't have tiny anemic jumps. Only Julia, Evgenia and Elena.
Tuk, Sotnikova and Pogo all have big jumps and all the juniors right now have big jumps especially Turskaya.

shine

Record Breaker
They'll come up when her international results become more consistent. She didn't qualify for the JGPF last year, did mediocre at Jr Worlds and only finished 4th at the US Classic. Contrast that with Evgenia, who won everything in the last 12 months except Russian nationals.

Your comments above and those re: Miyahara receiving lower PCS because of her jumps basically highlight everything that judging should NOT be. To me it's sad that so many seem to have come to accept it as something that's not only expected, but reasonable, as well.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reading all these bickering posts where people are not even constructive and either on repeat or flat out mean just ruins events for me. Glad I waited all summer for this event to have it spoiled by all of these nagging whinny posts. This sport lacks respect and it starts with the fans. I'm losing interest in sharing these experiences with the land of unappriciation.

I honestly can't shake the voice out of my head of a spoiled little kid pouting and trying to have everything his way while reading thru this. No thanks. No wonder no one pays attention anymore.

TMC

Record Breaker
Reading all these bickering posts where people are not even constructive and either on repeat or flat out mean just ruins events for me. Glad I waited all summer for this event to have it spoiled by all of these nagging whinny posts. This sport lacks respect and it starts with the fans. I'm losing interest in sharing these experiences with the land of unappriciation.

I honestly can't shake the voice out of my head of a spoiled little kid pouting and trying to have everything his way while reading thru this. No thanks. No wonder no one pays attention anymore.

I was thinking along these lines today. I'm sad to say this but I agree with you :(

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
I def would have had Medvedeva first, but 70??? 68 would be more appropriate, her jump technique is wonky at best, even with the tanos...

I would have had Miyahara second! WOW! She really is an artist. Yes, she's tiny so she probably doesn't look as good live but man does she work it! Her spins and positions are fantastic. If only she can jump a little bit higher....

I would have Gracie third. Even though she missed the 3F, I see a real improvement in her psyche! Normally if she pops a jump like that the rest of the program goes cold, but she really kept the fire going!

Chen was a pleasant surprise. I hope she has a great future ahead of her with those huge jumps and sparkling personality. I really despie JLip's program. The dress and music is not my cup of tea. At first I thought she was going to Ultra Music Fest...

EdgeCall

Record Breaker

This forum definitely needs a "Like" button.

JayW

Final Flight
Am I alone to think it is Ok with Evgenia's score? I watched it again, she has good flow, sophiscated foot steps, and very nice spins. Only thing I am not sure about is her jump landing which seems forward most times.

I also feel Karen deserves more what she got.

Satoko is a so consistent, the score is debatable.

Gracie looks confident and gorgeous. Regardless the score, she looks in good shape, I am so happy for her.

The poor Soon-Youn, she needs to step up.

Rissa

Record Breaker

The irony.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was a great event last night with very few splats.. I enjoyed each performance and can't wait for the long

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Here are my views on some skaters:

Evgenia: I'm fine with the score, because she knows how to play with the system by putting all of her jumps into the second half. So 70.92 is good.

Gracie: Despite the flip, everything was good. She was on form and I hope she can keep it up for the free skate too. I think the score is fine too.

Satoko: I read some comments on various social media saying that her jumps are too 'small' and should not deserve the score. Well I personally think that she was a bit underscored, she should've gotten something like 67 by earning a few more points on her interpretation and performance because she really responds to the music!!! And I don't see what's the problem with not jumping as high as the other skaters, this sport is called figure skating, not figure jumping!

Karen: Skated with great speed and those SPINS omg!!! But still, she should deserve a higher mark.

Julia: Great to see her come back and skating with JOY! The first thing for her is to rebuild her confidence and technique and, the most important, her mind. As long as she enjoyed her skating, I'm happy too!

minze

Medalist
Reading all these bickering posts where people are not even constructive and either on repeat or flat out mean just ruins events for me. Glad I waited all summer for this event to have it spoiled:biggrin: by all of these nagging whinny posts. This sport lacks respect and it starts with the fans. I'm losing interest in sharing these experiences with the land of unappriciation.

I went through the thread and very few people are been rude. I think people have a right to question scores and the judging, after all a lot of it is subjective as you yourself have pointed out, so of course people disagree.

I will put all my cards on the table, when people claim my favorites don't deserve their scores it stings a little bit because of bias and it is hard to be objective when it comes to our favorites.

With that said, I don't remember a competition thread that does not cause some to make "comments" it happens every time.

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
With that said, I don't remember a competition thread that does not cause some to make "comments" it happens every time.

+1 That is as likely to happen as every judge giving the same exact GOE/scores for a skater, aka, Not Likely At All because people's opinions will always vary to some degree ;)