2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23 | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
The funny thing is that the skaters are not responsible for their scores, deserved or not. If the scores are "undeserved", the blame lies solely with the judges, but the judges are never explicitly mentioned. They are granted anonymity and immunity not only by ISU, but by the fans as well. And all the flak goes to the skaters instead just because they have the most prominent names and faces. Undeserved and disrespectful treatment again, and this time the fans are to blame.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was there last night and here are my views:

Evgenia: I thought the score was well deserved. All jumps in the 2nd half which basically leads to 3 10% bonuses, the spins and step sequences were amazing. And the jumps were totally clean and flawless.

Alaine: That's actually pretty good of a score for her. The choreography was amazing. The combo jump did look eeked out. So I say it was fair for that score.

Gracie: I was kind of surprised with that low of a score, but then I saw she doubled the flip so I understand what happened. Definitely looked well-polished.

Julia: I thought she did really well. The combo....hmmmmm.

Karen: Oh my gosh! That was breathtaking! I'm so glad she got the host pick! 4th place at her first GP and was only a host pick? I like!

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the ladies SP'. I really like Satoko's SP. Her jumps are still borderline though which is a shame because everything else is very much world quality level. Gracie seemed to actually enjoy her short program for the first time in her senior career imo. Still don't get why they don't go with a loop or any other jump. I mean, Evgenia doesn't have a lutz in her program and still managed to be first. A big, well done loop would probably earn more points than a ! or e flip anyway. Karen Chen is lovely though the fact that she doesn't hold some of her spiral drove me crazy, but I think if she's consistent throughout the grand prix, she's gonna stay third at nationals.

Also, I think I might give up soon with So-Youn T.T She just doesn't have that killer instinct in competition.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I'm pretty sure Evgenia's jumps won't last thro puberty... so i wouldn't mind if she won here, its her glory days, like Julia 2 years ago :biggrin:

kalee

On the Ice
I agree about Satoko... It would be fair to put her behind a clean Gracie but a clean Satoko should score above Gracie with an invalid element...

On Evgenia, 70+ is understandable given the TES boost she gets from tano's and back loading - it does look though that she is maxing out her scoring potential TES-wise so I don't see her getting to 80+ by season's end unless she upgrades her jumps (bring in a lutz?). As a benchmark, clean Radionova was getting 70-71 in SP last year without the tano's and back loading, and Evgenia's presentation isn't inferior to Elena's.

Gracie - PCS boost for sure, partly home ground advantage but also the sheer power in her skating is apparent, relative to Evgenia and Satoko.

As for Yulia, it is a relief to see her landing her jumps (unlike Finlandia) though she has a way to go to get back to where she was 2 seasons ago. This time last year her SP was better developed & had better speed & consistency, so that doesn't bode very well. Good to see her smiling though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Evgenia slayed b*tches. Her lead is deserved. And that dress was gorgeous, she looked like someone straight out of fashion week. And I think she looks much more grownup than last season. Hasn't killed her jumps yet. Hope she kills it in the FS.

JayW

Final Flight
I'm pretty sure Evgenia's jumps won't last thro puberty... so i wouldn't mind if she won here, its her glory days, like Julia 2 years ago :biggrin:

I have the same fear too, since those landings are quite forward and boardline underrotated. Same can be said to Radionova.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
With that being said, I have to give Russian Ladies credits for being mature and sophiscated at such early ages.

Um...which other Russian lady is "mature" and "sophisticated". I wouldn't apply those two adjectives to Tukt, Sotnikova, Pogo, Lip, and certainly not Radianova.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Evgenia's jumps were effortless and clean as a whistle! The stream you were watching was probably low-res and laggy, and your mind filled in the gaps. I can help you out with an HD Jumpamatron when I get home.

shine

Record Breaker
Does anyone feel that it makes no sense to give bonus points to jumps done in the second half of a SP, which is only 2 min 30 seconds long?!

Evgenia's jumps were effortless and clean as a whistle! The stream you were watching was probably low-res and laggy, and your mind filled in the gaps. I can help you out with an HD Jumpamatron when I get home.
If those jumps are effortless, what would you call Tukt or Karen Chen's jumps!?

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Does anyone feel that it makes no sense to give bonus points to jumps done in the second half of a SP, which is only 2 min 30 seconds long?!

If those jumps are effortless, what would you call Tukt or Karen Chen's jumps!?

Yeah the half way bonus doesn't make sense to me much for ladies SP. It will be interesting to see how the field react to this, we may see more 2nd half heavy programs, and it is all about the creativity to waste as much time as possible in the first half, likely to pick something slow, with long spins to time wasting, meandering choreography, poseography, flirtography.

The perfect type of music to cheat the system is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9TjbdJyUE I can practically imagine the choreography for Radionova :laugh2:

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Haha katymay you may want to take a look at this Russian girl...

I agree wholeheartedly on Karen's great qualities though.

And I have to say it... For me, Zhenya's jumps are a pain to watch. They just look so... labored, especially those arms-half-bent tano jumps. I don't know why anyone enjoys them. Her lutz entry seemed much improved this season (we will see it today) from the weird loop entry that used to bug the hell out of me, so kudos for that... But I'm still not one to get behind her style and jump techinque... yet

That's pretty much how I feel about her jumps, laboured and and the tano looks lazy as she's just sticking her forearm to the top of her head. Don't care about her style but her killer instinct and how she sold the program is worth a high score. Just that her score was too high for me, Satoko and Gracie have way better SS, there are a lot of juniorish qualities about her I'm not into but it's only her first senior season. I think 29 PCS would have been fair

Rissa

Record Breaker

I don't understand why ladies SP? Does it make any more sense in Men's?

If it were so easy to jump all the jumps in the second half, everybody would backload their short. Yet they don't.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see how the field react to this, we may see more 2nd half heavy programs

This is a quote from an expert. And this is a quote from a skater - not hard to guess who: "It is my second season where I use that layout, at first it was quite hard, now however, I am used to it. I want to get more points and making my program more difficult achieves that". Gracie's 3Lz-3T is gorgeous but she telegraphs it the very first seconds of her program. Will be interesting to see how she moves it to the end. Or is it just in the minds of experts?

Last edited: