2015 Skate Canada Ice Dance Free Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ice Dance Free Dance

Celine

On the Ice
Some watching on computer screens felt something. Some it seems did not. It seems that there were actually many who were in that (presumably) mostly Canadian crowd, that most certainly felt something when Maia and Alex skated. The roar from the crowd that started and continued to build from the twizzles was visceral and rare.

Tweet from @2deyztheday:

"What a moment! surrounded by fans w/ tears streaming down their cheeks #SCI15 @alexshibutani @maiashibutani "

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I sure didn't fall asleep during W/Ps FD and feel fortunate to have seen it in person. Of course, tastes vary and a person's reaction is what it is. I found the program textured, nuanced and gripping. I couldn't take my eyes off them--every very difficult movement was part of the context of the entire piece. Personally I loved the lyrics (I'm a huge fan of the Dinah Washington/Max Richter mashup). For me, the program was over in a flash. I am surprised and feel kind of sad that some people claim to have fallen asleep!! Maybe, in time, those of us who are not as enamored of this program as others, will come to see some of the same beauty and emotion it evokes for me. I expect it to keep growing and evolving. To my mind it's a winner. Keep up the good work WeaPo!!!!!!

juliajk

Rinkside
Personally, I don't think that WP's free dance is boring at all, quite the opposite, and the music, especially the"This bitter earth" with the lyrics is my sentimental favorite.
That being said I can get that not everyone can relate to something like this. The music is not a classics, or mainstream and some people might get bored with it, but as long as the judges respond well to this, who cares

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I sure didn't fall asleep during W/Ps FD and feel fortunate to have seen it in person. Of course, tastes vary and a person's reaction is what it is. I found the program textured, nuanced and gripping. I couldn't take my eyes off them--every very difficult movement was part of the context of the entire piece. Personally I loved the lyrics (I'm a huge fan of the Dinah Washington/Max Richter mashup). For me, the program was over in a flash. I am surprised and feel kind of sad that some people claim to have fallen asleep!! Maybe, in time, those of us who are not as enamored of this program as others, will come to see some of the same beauty and emotion it evokes for me. I expect it to keep growing and evolving. To my mind it's a winner. Keep up the good work WeaPo!!!!!!

Really? I can't stand that mashup. It defeats the entire purpose of the Richter piece, which is quintessentially minimal.

I've pretty much kept my mouth shut so far this GP season about Ice Dancing, but I swear I want to start a thread: Ice Dancing 2015/2016: Can Too Much Good Taste Bore You To Death?

Lord help us but are coaches and choreographers that stupid? They had to have known that there would be a rash of the arty-farty after P/C's come-out-from-seemingly-nowhere win at Worlds last season. And it's certainly a rash. Like an STD.

Good heavens it's only the beginning of November and I'm already bored $#*+less.

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I see so many comments about how boring current ice dance is. My first live Ice dance comp was the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics (I'm dating myself :)). Been to countless live comps since and have to say that IMO right now dance is better than ever. I'm not sure what some fans expect. I see gorgeous people and costumes, wonderful dancing, and tons of art and athleticism. Not saying I'm a bigger fan than the next person but I've been following since 1964 and today there is an embarrassment of riches in ice dance. Maybe for now many teams are using slower type music but I still find it beautiful. Sure beats the season in the early 2000s when every other team skated to Dancin' Feet. Now those days were definitely snooze worthy for me. I think this season has been a joy so far and want to thank all the hard working dancers for making that happen đź‘Ť

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
M
I see so many comments about how boring current ice dance is. My first live Ice dance comp was the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics (I'm dating myself :)). Been to countless live comps since and have to say that IMO right now dance is better than ever. I'm not sure what some fans expect. I see gorgeous people and costumes, wonderful dancing, and tons of art and athleticism. Not saying I'm a bigger fan than the next person but I've been following since 1964 and today there is an embarrassment of riches in ice dance. Maybe for now many teams are using slower type music but I still find it beautiful. Sure beats the season in the early 2000s when every other team skated to Dancin' Feet. Now those days were definitely snooze worthy for me. I think this season has been a joy so far and want to thank all the hard working dancers for making that happen đź‘Ť

Oh I totally agree with you, ice dance is better than ever today. Boring is not a strong enough word to describe how awful it used to be...

I still think that this one particular fd from W/P is boring - to me. To others it is the opposite, and that's great - I wish I could love it, too :)

Last edited:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, I'm glad at least one person agrees with me ;). Though. I hope W/Ps FD grows on you. To me it's very special.

I was so fortunate to be at Skate Canada. The dance field was very strong and there were many amazing performances!

TMC

Record Breaker
Well, I'm glad at least one person agrees with me ;). Though. I hope W/Ps FD grows on you. To me it's very special.

I was so fortunate to be at Skate Canada. The dance field was very strong and there were many amazing performances!

I was watching old 80s and 90s free dances just the other day...I have to say it's sort of endearing when the man lifts the lady two inches off the ice for two seconds and the audience responds with oohs and aahs and roaring applause :gclap:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There's no way Shibs can win at US Nationals unless C/B end up being a disaster. C/B have way too much momentum from last year, plus whatever politics are on their side. Maybe if the international judges start lowballing their dull FD on the GP this could change but it's ice dance and shake-ups rarely happen.

They happen.

-In 1994 the second place dance team from Russia won Olympic gold, defeating their fellow national champions/reigning World champions and the legends of the sport.
-At the 2010 U.S. Nationals, the previously second place finishers defeated reigning national champions/reigning World silver medalists/reigning Olympic silver medalists to become national champions heading into the Olympics.
-In 2014 the second place Russian dance team won Olympic bronze, defeating the reigning national champions/World bronze medalists. The Olympic bronze medalists had not even qualified for the GPF.

None of these upsets was due to a disaster on the part of another team.

When do these upsets happen?

Generally . . .

-When you have a young up-and-coming dance team.
-With the technical prowess to stand out internationally.
-And the host nation realizes said team might have more potential than their national champions to climb an Olympic podium.

In my book, Maia & Alex are exactly that kind of team.

Last edited:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I've been mulling it over and I think that a partial reason why W&P's dance kind of bores people may be the fact that it has an overlong intro that builds veeeeery slowly. Things get better once you reach the culmination. For me, at least.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Really? I can't stand that mashup. It defeats the entire purpose of the Richter piece, which is quintessentially minimal.

I've pretty much kept my mouth shut so far this GP season about Ice Dancing, but I swear I want to start a thread: Ice Dancing 2015/2016: Can Too Much Good Taste Bore You To Death?

Lord help us but are coaches and choreographers that stupid? They had to have known that there would be a rash of the arty-farty after P/C's come-out-from-seemingly-nowhere win at Worlds last season. And it's certainly a rash. Like an STD.

Good heavens it's only the beginning of November and I'm already bored $#*+less.

No kidding!
:dbana::laugh2:

You need an interventional dose of watching Tobias and Tkachenko...

I've been mulling it over and I think that a partial reason why W&P's dance kind of bores people may be the fact that it has an overlong intro that builds veeeeery slowly. Things get better once you reach the culmination. For me, at least.

That could be it. I have not gotten past the first part to the presumably more interesting part yet.

I will have to not be watching late at night next time.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I see so many comments about how boring current ice dance is. My first live Ice dance comp was the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics (I'm dating myself :)). Been to countless live comps since and have to say that IMO right now dance is better than ever. I'm not sure what some fans expect. I see gorgeous people and costumes, wonderful dancing, and tons of art and athleticism. Not saying I'm a bigger fan than the next person but I've been following since 1964 and today there is an embarrassment of riches in ice dance. Maybe for now many teams are using slower type music but I still find it beautiful. Sure beats the season in the early 2000s when every other team skated to Dancin' Feet. Now those days were definitely snooze worthy for me. I think this season has been a joy so far and want to thank all the hard working dancers for making that happen

This is also how I see it.

Ice Dancers deliver great performances these days, the Free Dance is after the Ladies my favorite discipline and I do not think that my former dance background plays a role there, as I was not a fan of Ice Dance, before the Free Dance became more "modern" so to speak.

I enjoy the crafty programs, the stories that skaters have to tell, it very often relates to my own life and I can identify myself with it.

The short dance is still something that I feel needs a change, it´s a bit too old-school for my liking, then again as Kaitlyn said at Canada, this is what it´s supposed to be, right? So we do get modern and old stuff, something for everyone I guess and some tradition is never wrong.

As for Weaver / Poje, I think their FD is great and much better than last year, especially the idea behind it. I am a bit sad that nobody mentioned it if I read articles by other journalists, they focus way too much on the obvious technical & SS - difficulties in their analyses.

Last edited:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I still think the final pose is a bit... cheesy?

The idea behind the program was something about battling addiction, right? I haven't seen much written about it, so if someone can link me to an interview that discusses it, that would be great. But anyway, if we suppose that they overcome something during the culminating part of the program, they have some nice movements wrapping it up at the end and then out of nowhere this ending pose that is holding hands and waiting for applause or what? It very obviously reaches out to the public and I find it super weird.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was watching old 80s and 90s free dances just the other day...I have to say it's sort of endearing when the man lifts the lady two inches off the ice for two seconds and the audience responds with oohs and aahs and roaring applause :gclap:

LOL. I experienced a similar moment while watching some old pairs programs from the 60s-80s.

In many cases the guy looks like he's lifting a sack of grain over his head. Labored. Now pairs have to be so athletic (and oddly enough, that's one of my criticisms of the discipline) that they just lift those girls like they weigh nothing and toss them around like rag dolls.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I still think the final pose is a bit... cheesy?

The idea behind the program was something about battling addiction, right? I haven't seen much written about it, so if someone can link me to an interview that discusses it, that would be great. But anyway, if we suppose that they overcome something during the culminating part of the program, they have some nice movements wrapping it up at the end and then out of nowhere this ending pose that is holding hands and waiting for applause or what? It very obviously reaches out to the public and I find it super weird.

I agree about the final pose, something I did also "criticize" in my write up about Skate Canada ;) The intention is good, - to look forward, to be more positive, but it just doesn't look so good to me, a bit too cheesy ya that´s a good word I think.

As for the FD story,

Kaitlyn mentioned that they have gone through some difficult times as skaters (my guess the season where they won it all, except worlds) and that life looked pretty terrible then. But, quite often things are not as bad or bitter as they seem, so that they find that positive view towards the end of their program. They try to symbolize a more positive view, like "looking forward" in that final pose.

Besides having the technical aspects, both tried to express what they call "a very personal" program, reflecting the mood of the music in their faces, often a bit depressive and sad while towards the end, the "positive" outweigh´s the negative and you see a more optimistic expression as Kaitlyn explained.

Despite how sometimes things can get you down and sometimes you just can not find your luck, in the end it´s not so bitter after all and it is a Mantra we use in our life's.

Last edited:

rvi5

On the Ice
Kaitlyn mentioned that they have gone through some difficult times as skaters (my guess the season where they won it all, except worlds) and that life looked pretty terrible then.
There was also the time they failed to make the Vancouver Canadian Olympic team by about 1/3 point behind Crone & Poirier. I am sure they were devastated back then.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No kidding!
:dbana::laugh2:

You need an interventional dose of watching Tobias and Tkachenko...

That could be it. I have not gotten past the first part to the presumably more interesting part yet.

I will have to not be watching late at night next time.

Thank you doris. I knew you would totally understand. :thank:

And you know I'm a HUGE fan of the divinely OTT Ms. Is. The one thing that has really amazed me is how much better she looks TECHNICALLY this season. I can't tell if it is because she has genuinely improved her skating skills or that she finally has a decent partner and is looking better in some ice dancing equivalent of transitive property of equality. In any case, their FD is divinely OTT--costumes and all--and I love it.

Really if I were a coach this year I would have put my dancers in animal print costumes and told them, it's Latin and tacky this season FOR THE WIN! :dance2:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Latin and tacky, coupled with animal print and fabulous, has worked pretty well in the past...

Remember this couple?

:dev3:

Yes, the divine Isabelle looks much better skating with Tkachenko. He is a top notch partner!!! :luv17:

:love:

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Latin and tacky, coupled with animal print and fabulous, has worked pretty well in the past...

Remember this couple?

:dev3:

Yes, the divine Isabelle looks much better skating with Tkachenko. He is a top notch partner!!! :luv17:

:love:

LOL--you chose the right icons for both.

Party hearty I say, not arty farty! Save the arty farty for the Olympics.