2016 Europeans Short Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Short Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unpopular opinion alert: I really felt that Cizeron, bless his soul, was really carrying the team, and hence the dance. I get that Papadakis is probably still playing catch up from the injury, but I felt the partnering was not quite even.

I think Cappellini/Lanotte, OTOH, were more closely matched and better performed as a pair, IMO.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Unpopular opinion alert: I really felt that Cizeron, bless his soul, was really carrying the team, and hence the dance. I get that Papadakis is probably still playing catch up from the injury, but I felt the partnering was not quite even.

I think Cappellini/Lanotte, OTOH, were more closely matched and better performed as a pair, IMO.
my thoughts exactly:slink:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

That's a fair assessment. But I do think by Worlds you will see a much better balance. But they're definitely back in the conversation. We should all have a clearer picture after the FD.

katha

On the Ice
Yeah, I know people don't want to hear it but Papadakis has her weak areas and is rather dependent on him. Anna has weak areas as well, but it's not like P/C are evenly matched. And Anna IMO is a more polished performer and has better upper body movement. I thought this was a well judged event. I agree with the placements, for me they reflected what was shown on the ice. Super happy for SinKats and how much they improved their SD score here! They had a disadvantage skating in the earlier group and TES were an issue in the SD in the GPs, great to see that this is much better now. Still not perfect, but it's coming along. Overall a well skated, entertaining event.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

I agree. But even when Gabriella is not at her best it's impressive how much harmony they radiate as a pair. It's very touching to watch.

I think the ranking is about right. I enjoyed the top 6 very much (haven't had time to catch up with the rest).

robredo40

On the Ice
Happy for C&L, didn't like the French I get the feeling the judges are clearly favoring the traditional waltzes I expect the French the be 4th again at worlds after the sd.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Watching the couples I missed while Verizon got its act together. Keep an eye on the Germans for the future. L/P. I see mucho potential there.

Ziggy would be so proud of the Polish couple. Another one to watch for the future.

Oh, and the Turks of course. I always enjoy them.

They're about the only three from the lower half who really made an impression on me. YMMV of course.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
Not bad for Russia. SinKats should be really happy. They are less than a point away from BS and I think SK's SD is their weaker dance, while for BS, their SD is their stronger dance. Honestly, I expected a bigger difference between BS and SK in BS's favor after the SD. Battle for 3rd between the Russian teams will be interesting. I think CL and PC won't change, but we'll see... stranger things have happened.

Hmmmmm, you think so? I think S/K's SD is stronger than their FD. Victoria couldn't keep up the pace towards the end in the FD. They led the SD with a great performance, but lost to BS in the FD at Nat. B/S has power and presence throughout the program. As NAOTMAA mentioned about B/S' long career, the experiences play as their great assets.

I agree. Which Russians will take the bronze medal?

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
They led the SD with a great performance, but lost to BS in the FD at Nat.
solely b/c of the twizzles
The Fed was practically begging them to be champs but Nik refused:laugh:

MIM

Medalist
Watching the couples I missed while Verizon got its act together. Keep an eye on the Germans for the future. L/P. I see mucho potential there.

Ziggy would be so proud of the Polish couple. Another one to watch for the future.

Oh, and the Turks of course. I always enjoy them.

They're about the only three from the lower half who really made an impression on me. YMMV of course.

I miss Ziggy. I was lurking when Ziggy was here. I didn't have interaction with him, but always admired his insightful posts.

Thank you for pointing out the teams from the lower rank. I watched Turks and agree on them, will catch up the other two. :)

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
Hmmmmm, you think so? I think S/K's SD is stronger than their FD. Victoria couldn't keep up the pace towards the end in the FD. They led the SD with a great performance, but lost to BS in the FD at Nat. B/S has power and presence throughout the program. As NAOTMAA mentioned about B/S' long career, the experiences play as their great assets.

I agree. Which Russians will take the bronze medal?

Yeah, I think internationally the FD has been stronger. The trouble with the SD, even though it's perhaps more sophisticated as a piece of choreography, is that in the GPs they couldn't get high TES for it. They were constantly trailing B/S by a few points in the SD, then scored higher in the FDs in their GP events. With the GP qualification formula being combined SD scores, they clearly lost it against B/S with their SD scores. Taking all scores would have made it much, much closer.

This time the TES were good, not stellar, but good. They lost to B/S on PCS, but not by that much and they skated almost two hours earlier (the ISU pretends starting order doesn't count, it does), so it's not clear how that will play out in the FD. B/S are a strong pair, so the most likely result is that they'll keep their podium place. But before the comp I had feared that S/K would have such a point deficit after the SD (taking both their TES record in the GP and them skating relatively early into account) that they'd severely disadvantage themselves for the FD, perhaps not even make the last group. But here they are, right in the middle of it, with a very good, very competitive score.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Gabriella looks so much weaker it's not even funny. Cizeron is just tugging her along, he progressed and she stagnated, that's what. Too soon to say, but I don't see them as World Champions this season.

Bobrova/Soloviev probably skated their worst SD since Skate Canada. Mistake on twizzles, poor exit from the lift, minor loss of balance by Dima during transitions, some imperfections on patterns.. And it's sad, I feel that they would have scored big with their GPF performance here.

Don't let me start on Sinitsina/Katsalapov, I would dinged them a level ot two on their pattern because of poor timing. Nikita just skate in his own tempo lol And I'm not sure that Victoria's difficult position on lift (full split) actually meets the requirements to be considered as difficult for all the rotations. The angle is not 180 degrees during the whole lift.

I think Cappelleni/Lanotte will wrap it up with their fabulous FD tomorrow.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I think (unfortunately imo) it is the year of the Canadians as WC. By holding down the French at Euros and putting them under the Italians, who unlike the French, have no chance whatsoever internationally against the Canadians and even the Americans, they are clearly giving the Canadians an easy traced road to the gold at Worlds.
I think they are trying to artificially recreate a kind of rivalry ala D/W & V/M leading to the olympics.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just watched top 4 teams - have to say that I went straight to the computer (still in coat, cap etc.) to check results and no surprise there to be honest, buuuut the scores...And watched Papadakis/Cizeron last, just knew that this was the only way to try assess all the rest quite objectively (and got it right...)

Sinitsina/Katsalapov - still can't get over them choosing to skate to Swan Lake (such a cliche move...), but if it's working for them...Maybe I'm blind, but since the very beginning I noticed how better Nikita is on ice than Viktoria - how he carries himself, uses his body to present him, her AND the program. Really - for me he carried all performance today (as always looked a little wild in twizzles, but guess that's just him). She is not quite there I feel - the movement, especially in holds, is not yet fluid and harmonized with partner, she seems slower in some parts and knee-work to get deep edges is totally missing. Yes, they look beautiful, like Barbie-Ken perfect and he really can perform the hell out of program, but two things bug me - how long he will carry out all their performances by himself and if they will stick to 'lovey-dovey' repetoire, because I can't see them doing anything else right now...

Bobrova/Soloviev - first of all - Ekaterina looked perfect in deep blue :love:, this season her dresses finally do justice to her. For me - one of strongest and the most complex SD this season - well-chosen music, very matched to the pair, all tech elements well placed, not too classical, not too modern - just right. Great, expressive execution (aside of that slip in lift), free but controlled movement across the ice, amazing dance holds parts (they are really masterful in that...) and in opposition to Viktoria - Ekaterina can use her body, edges, speed generated and even tech elements to perform and carry out performance along with her partner. The level of her improvement (as Katia's) still amazes me - better posture, edges, finishing poses by hands, legs...And Dimitri is equally great - strong, expressive performer. My favourite parts were RW patterns - the speed, edge work and pacing were a delight to watch!

Cappellini/Lanotte - I L-O-V-E her new dress, she looked like movie star/model, they are generally a suave overload, period :love:. Overall, a very strong performance - the SD itself is very charming and entertaining and they are one of the best in the World in selling programs so no surprise there, but looking at tech execution/comparing them in that department to e.g. Bobrova/Soloviev I feel they were slower and execution of patterns especially was more labored. I do get Tarasova complaining about Anna's posture today - there were many moments with not-so-straight back from her (especially out of dance holds). As a performance - yes, they did a great job, but technically I feel that this wasn't so strong to get above 36 pts (as for their PCS I will throw a tantrum below...)

Papadakis/Cizeron - to be honest I really don't know what to say. I was super nervous about them whole season and filled with anticipation how they will fit at Europeans all things considered. And then SUCH a performance! Graceful and efortless don't quite can cover it fo me - they're flying on ice comparing them to the rest. Continuation of body lines, harmony between their bodies and arm movement are out of this world. The perfection of their frames working together on ice, so seamlessly is a sight to behold. I saw that SD as a huge risk, but with them it really pays off - the modernity and intricacy of Abel Korzeniowski's music shines through every movement in this dance - such musicality in these two . However - it showed that Gabriella was quite nervous today (a few glitches here and there) and Guillaume took a lead of performing and be strong for two of them (like Mrs. P well said above) - he is just a magic in motion, those edges, seamless turns, upper body movement so on point with the music, il ballerino vero :love:.

And now let me ask - how Cappellini/Lanotte with their todays SD scored better that Papadakis/Cizeron?!?! That's a mess big time. What makes me snarl in disgust is PCS - EVERY single mark is higher for Italians, this is ridiculous. SS is the most painful, but the rest is not quite right too - guess 'Reputation Bonus' was activated (like WeakAnkles said above).

Seeing the distance between Russians, Italians, Frenchies AND draw for FD, Papadakis/Cizeron will be Champions again (if tech side will be ok), Italians in second and (wince) Sinitsina/Katsalapov in third (unless bombing with twizzles)

oat

On the Ice
I agree with you this +70 points is a sort of message from the judges to prepare the canadian win at the WC.
On the other way, 70 points is a huge score for their first competition if you compare to the other team during their first internation competition. I also think Gaby is a little nervous today.

AliAle

On the Ice
Gabriella looks so much weaker it's not even funny. Cizeron is just tugging her along, he progressed and she stagnated, that's what. Too soon to say, but I don't see them as World Champions this season.

I see this as a very popular opinion, but to me, people tend to give Gabriella unjust grief about her skating skills. Yes, she doesn't have the same attack that some of the heavier skaters have, but you see this with absolutely everyone, dance, pairs and individual, if they have the kind of body type she does (thin, long limbed, almost fragile looking). However, I see nothing wrong with her edges, extensions and first and foremost posture. The fluidity in their dancing that everyone praises and that's so obvious to anyone with two eyes doesn't come from some skills outside the marked PCSs, but exactly from the skating skills these two have. You don't get to say that their fluidity on the ice is heads above everyone else without that translating into better SS.

Anyway, deep breath, I have my doubts C/L will actually win this and Worlds will anyway be a different story.

MIM

Medalist
solely b/c of the twizzles
The Fed was practically begging them to be champs but Nik refused:laugh:
:laugh2:

Yeah, I think internationally the FD has been stronger. The trouble with the SD, even though it's perhaps more sophisticated as a piece of choreography, is that in the GPs they couldn't get high TES for it. They were constantly trailing B/S by a few points in the SD, then scored higher in the FDs in their GP events. With the GP qualification formula being combined SD scores, they clearly lost it against B/S with their SD scores. Taking all scores would have made it much, much closer.

This time the TES were good, not stellar, but good. They lost to B/S on PCS, but not by that much and they skated almost two hours earlier (the ISU pretends starting order doesn't count, it does), so it's not clear how that will play out in the FD. B/S are a strong pair, so the most likely result is that they'll keep their podium place. But before the comp I had feared that S/K would have such a point deficit after the SD (taking both their TES record in the GP and them skating relatively early into account) that they'd severely disadvantage themselves for the FD, perhaps not even make the last group. But here they are, right in the middle of it, with a very good, very competitive score.

I see your point!
They are virtually tied in SD. And their season best scores are tie as well. (S/K103.77 vs. B/S103.14)
Let's see who will be the Russian leader heading into the Worlds. :hap57: