2016 Nebelhorn Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Free Dance

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think C/B FD still has potentials to be considered "successful" if they revise the music edits and costumes. The haunting and annoyingly loud voiceover overpowers their movements and overall image throughout the program. The inserted music in the middle of program sounds projecting and irrelevant to the program.

They wears very similar costumes compared with their SD ones. The same black color doesn't help as well.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The team of this competition for me was P2. I hope they're not disappointed with their placement.

As for C/B, was this really the choreo Dean gave them? It looks like a acrobatics routine and they've no real connection with the music. They could be skating to anything classical, but not Queen. To his credit though Evan had a greater presence here than in the SD. I hope they can fix it though because the music is interesting, but it goes by them.

Anna and Luka were their usual selves but I just wonder if they were just saving themselves a bit for next season, when it really matters?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elliana and Alex. I'm thrilled for them! I'm so excited to see another great US dance team. Wow, they are possibly the most lyrical and beautiful U.S. dance couple I've seen in a while. Of course, I value lyrical and beautiful skating above some of the other things. But the commentators loved this couple as well and remarked on the high quality of their technique: curves, deep edges, and speed. Their curved lift is absolutely gorgeous.

Missed most of Piper and Paul, but they're not my favorites. I put a high value on originality but IMO they sacrifice other things for it.

Madison and Evan. A stunning free dance. Simply gorgeous throughout. They skated full out, while still looking relaxed and like they were enjoying skating and performing. This is a crib from the commentator, but I so agree that Madi and Evan were able to interpret the music during the lift :bow: and with difficult entrances and exits. This program will no doubt be more complete and look even better over the season.

Anna and Luca. I have a feeling that this performance might be as far as this program can go. Well, it may be my preference speaking, I'm tired of Charlie Chaplin music. But shortly after I had that thought, I realized that Luca looks so much like Chaplin. A moment or two later, I realized that Anna looks like Oona O'Neill Chaplin! :) This dance did look like so many others they've done. It also looked to me like they took ideas for two of their lifts from Madi and Evan's recent ones. My screen froze so I didn't see the choreographic lift that the commentator raved about.

The Commentators. I so enjoy this team! Thank you, thank you for wide-ranging comments about technique and artistry alike; and many thanks for not talking when you shouldn't. In fact, I noticed that they fell silent mid-sentence as soon as the announcer came on for the scores, so we could also hear the scores.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I wonder is C/B being US number 2 cost them the title here. I can't see the Shibs if they skate cleanly and with passion like last season losing to C/L.

Well don't forget, being National Champs didn't prevent them from losing to C/L at Cup of China last season. C/L are always spoilers. Heck their 2014 World title was due to them being more spoilers than anything else. They even beat P/C in the SD at Euros. Yes P/C were coming back from a concussion, but nobody else beat them.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm so glad that Paul and Piper went with a traditional ballroom dance with their FD. Honestly, I'm glad they went with straightforward dances for both. I know that they're known for interesting avant garde dances, but I really think it only promoted the perception that they were gimmicky to cover up Piper's lack of skating skills or whatever.

I enjoyed watching their FD. I thought there was lots of interesting details and they really had some difficult holds there too. I think they will need more mileage, but obviously a given since it's the first competition of the season.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well don't forget, being National Champs didn't prevent them from losing to C/L at Cup of China last season. C/L are always spoilers. Heck their 2014 World title was due to them being more spoilers than anything else. They even beat P/C in the SD at Euros. Yes P/C were coming back from a concussion, but nobody else beat them.

This. If C/L hit the levels and other teams don't, they are always capable of spoiling. While the judges don't usually like them enough to give them truly top notch PCS, they do like them enough to give them high enough PCS that, if they are clean and others aren't, they can take any medal.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
The team of this competition for me was P2. I hope they're not disappointed with their placement.

As for C/B, was this really the choreo Dean gave them? It looks like a acrobatics routine and they've no real connection with the music. They could be skating to anything classical, but not Queen. To his credit though Evan had a greater presence here than in the SD. I hope they can fix it though because the music is interesting, but it goes by them.

Anna and Luka were their usual selves but I just wonder if they were just saving themselves a bit for next season, when it really matters?

Yes, Christopher Dean choreographic stamp is very evident in this C/B Free Dance. And as most of his pieces/program, the male dominates_ his partner (it seems) is there to complement / complete the picture. This program is nice ... and with great potentials but they have to decide and define what they hope to project to make the presentation coherent. I like the fact that they take huge risk in doing this controversial dialogue/theme but they have to decide early how they should approach 'the conversation' (how they convey the theme). I love their lifts, twizzles but they are a tad slower in places where they have to up the speed. Also, Madison takes a backseat in the interpretation - I think, it is the wrong approach: she is the better 'actor' of the two. As regards, P2_ love, love the music but their dancing lacks the fire, the drama that the music demands. I love Tango (the last dance I performed in my youth), and their presentation, sorry for the expression, 'meh' at best.

Overall, it was a great competition.

Last edited:

moon

On the Ice
Skate Canada will certainly be an interesting competition. These top 3 top teams with the addition of V/M.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that Paul and Piper went with a traditional ballroom dance with their FD. Honestly, I'm glad they went with straightforward dances for both. I know that they're known for interesting avant garde dances, but I really think it only promoted the perception that they were gimmicky to cover up Piper's lack of skating skills or whatever.

I enjoyed watching their FD. I thought there was lots of interesting details and they really had some difficult holds there too. I think they will need more mileage, but obviously a given since it's the first competition of the season.

Their FD two seasons back, the jazzy one, was about as straightforward ballroom as you can get. And also their most successful season so far. Like I said, that's ice dancing judging for you. They talk the talk about "creativity" and "innovation" but they are as staid as staid can be when it comes to actual judging.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Their FD two seasons back, the jazzy one, was about as straightforward ballroom as you can get. And also their most successful season so far. Like I said, that's ice dancing judging for you. They talk the talk about "creativity" and "innovation" but they are as staid as staid can be when it comes to actual judging.

Yes, I agree. That said, actually thought their FD two seasons back was really good actually. I thought it was intricate and highlighted Piper's improvements.

Overall, I think they have two good programs. It will be interesting to see if they help them bridge gap between them and Weaver and Poje.

snd

On the Ice

agree 100%. that fd from 2014-15 was the dullest program g/p have ever done and yet it resulted in their best ever scores and placements. their pcs are always laughably low. and their creativity never adequately rewarded.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. That said, actually thought their FD two seasons back was really good actually. I thought it was intricate and highlighted Piper's improvements.

Overall, I think they have two good programs. It will be interesting to see if they help them bridge gap between them and Weaver and Poje.

Oh I agree, and I thought it was a smart move at the right time: "See? We CAN play by the rules and play well."

I haven't seen any of the FDs here yet so I will defer to your greater experience in this area! I just hope they're better than the ones at last week's Senior B, which I found to be uninspiring.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh I agree, and I thought it was a smart move at the right time: "See? We CAN play by the rules and play well."

I haven't seen any of the FDs here yet so I will defer to your greater experience in this area! I just hope they're better than the ones at last week's Senior B, which I found to be uninspiring.

They're all on YouTube. :) https://www.youtube.com/user/diodio0013plus

To be honest, the standout free dance for me so far is from the Parsons. :slink: :eek:bligatory whining about how they should have moved up to seniors:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Checking the scores I noticed a few teams had Violation of choreography restrictions (1-2-3 of 8) but no deductions. What are the violations? I know lifts timing and position. Are other violations? Why mention if no points are deducted?

Alex D

Record Breaker
I went down on my knees and had a chat with Piper and Paul, very nice skaters. We spoke about the judging system, about the others on the podium, the whole financial aspect of being a skater and more.

Checking the scores I noticed a few teams had Violation of choreography restrictions (1-2-3 of 8) but no deductions. What are the violations? I know lifts timing and position. Are other violations? Why mention if no points are deducted?

This can be if skaters have a "wrong" step sequence / pattern. So for instance, skaters are supposed to perform it in one area on the ice and if they leave that area, the refree will call it. Keep in mind though, they need a 5+ voting, so a 1 of 8 is not counting. The judges have to press "yes" or "no" so to speak, if not enough press the buttons, then no harm is done.

Sorry for the simplistic explanation, I am sure an expert could do better.

Sackie

Medalist
Just looked at the protocols for the top teams and I knew right away which judge was from the USA! They even gave the highest PCS to the 2nd USA team!
And no not all judges will of course mark their own with higher marks. In fact G/P's highest PCS was not from the CAN judge.

Nathan13

Medalist
Skate Canada will certainly be an interesting competition. These top 3 top teams with the addition of V/M.

Agreed. It's going to be a fight for the GP Final, Because it seems like C/B almost have to beat C/L if they want to make it.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker

This season there's 3 types of mistakes in FD where judges press a button for 'Violation of choreography restrictions':
1) separations;
2) stops;
3) touching the ice with hand(hands).

Separations in FD are allowed only for change of holds, 10 secs in the beginning and in the end of a dance, in step sequence of style B (one separation not longer than 5 seconds and not farther than 2 arms lenghts) or executing elements (such as twizzles). In all the other cases it's 'Violation of choreography restrictions'.
Full stops are allowed only in first and last 10 seconds of a dance. In all the other cases it's 'Violation of choreography restrictions'.
Touching the ice with hand (hands) is not allowed at all (except in hip-hop rythm of SD). It's 'Violation of choreography restrictions'.

If any of this mistakes (in judges' opinion) occurs, they press a button. After the dance if the majority of judges (including referee) called for a 'Violation of choreography restrictions', it results in 1 point deduction for each violation. If not, there's no deduction.

Separating longer than necessary before the Not Touching Step Sequence or the Set of Sequential Twizzles (or taking longer than necessary after the element to resume skating in hold) constitutes a violation of choreography restrictions, subject to a deduction by Judges and Referee.

Last edited: