2016 NHK Trophy Short Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Short Dance

auser

Record Breaker
It's easy to admire the taste when the taste is all 31 baskin and robbins flavours plus a few more. All I want to know is sugar, waffle or regular cone?
Says something about my expansive view of eye candy erm I mean artistry;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Keep in mind that the BV is higher here due to the use of a Partial step sequence instead of a second pattern dance (the +GOE scale of values for a pattern is also lower). So really 79 here is probably like a 77 or 76 back in 2014.

It's not a perfect comparison.

I understand that and given that fact, judging should have been adjusted accordingly. I admire V/M and this performance and they clearly bested P/C but this scoring practice is ridiculous.

I don't see any reason that the judging should have been adjusted.

The judges here at NHK -- and at all comps this season -- should judge the elements required for this season's SD.

(As for scoring, the ISU recognizes only "highest scores." It does not recognize "world records." An avoidance of comparing across different seasons.

Last edited:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Since we don't have here a live TV coverage I decided to sleep this over and I woke up to see Tessa and Scott results. So very happy for them. :hap93:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Dog just demanded his third dinner. He's confused by me being up so late. Asian events when you are in EDT suck (for us, not those in Asian time who have to put up with it during SA and SC)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dog just demanded his third dinner. He's confused by me being up so late. Asian events when you are in EDT suck (for us, not those in Asian time who have to put up with it during SA and SC)

I wish my dog could have 3AM weekend play dates with your dog while we watch Asian competitions and post on GoldenSkate.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I wish my dog could have 3AM weekend play dates with your dog while we watch Asian competitions and post on GoldenSkate.

so would I. Except Eli does not play well with others. He's a bully who needs to dominate every dog he meets. It's an issue.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
so would I. Except Eli does not play well with others. He's a bully who needs to dominate every dog he meets. It's an issue.

I don't know, has he ever come across a female chihuahua? She's the master bully of the canine species.

Maybe their bully behaviours would cancel each other's out.

Emojis we need to get on GoldenSkate ASAP: a dog emoji, a rooster emoji, a cherry "coke" emoji...

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
While V/M's was clearly the best in the group, I think, they were over-scored. The calibre of D/W's Olympic SD is still unmatched. Watch and compare _ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wv8v7cFLk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ndxb3VTQ0

D/W's Foxtrot was not at all a Foxtrot, but a Waltz. They committed the cardinal sin of ice dancing, while at an Olympic games. Also, D/W had much less power and flow and all I notice from that SD of theirs is jumping on flats with shallower edges than V/M's current SD.

P/C could have taken the lead if they had not skated so cautiously and nervously. They didn't look great today.

D/W's SD record was going to broken eventually. If that "Foxtrot SD" is of any indication, their "record" would not have stood in the in the next quadrennial.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
While V/M's was clearly the best in the group, I think, they were over-scored. The calibre of D/W's Olympic SD is still unmatched. Watch and compare _ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wv8v7cFLk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ndxb3VTQ0

I think if D/W had skated today the same program, exactly the same performance, they would have got a higher score. It's the same for ladies competitions..for me Medvedeva's wr is nothing compared to Yuna's. But the scores in general got higher.

all that

Final Flight
Gabby makes a mis-step about halfway through the non-touch step. I'm not sure how much it affects the levels, but it was a glaring error even to a relatively ice dance novice like me.

That isn't a misstep- that's part of the choreography. Watch the SD from French trophy and you'll see it there as well.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
powered laptop just to check on results and boy... I'm suprised as heck, but positively seeing Tessa and Scott right on their track and wowzas on that score! Will re-watch top 6 (as Polish are on sixth :love:) and eventually post my - as always - too long thoughts on SD.

And finally some good draw for Tessa and Scott in FD,it's been a while I think...Battle would be epic, because Gabriella and Guillaume can easily take it looking at scores they're getting for FDs, Tessa and Scott have to be foot-perfect on tech side, probably will get up at 3.30 AM :)hopelessness:) to watch this, wish me luck!

and celebration over perfect score in pairs :cheer:

yuna13

On the Ice
This is so unfair! Yes v/m were better but not 4 points better! The tech judges just killed the competion. The French didn't make mistake and they are 4 points behind!!!

Alextim

Rinkside
This is so unfair! Yes v/m were better but not 4 points better! The tech judges just killed the competion. The French didn't make mistake and they are 4 points behind!!!

Totally agree ... but season is long and other panel will correct this

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The French didn't make mistake and they are 4 points behind!!!
Step sequence mistakes/imperfections in ice dancing are not always readily visible. It may be a barely noticeable stumble, not even visible from all angles, or even just an imperfect edge - even less apparent.

Totally agree ... but season is long and other panel will correct this
I think that rather Papadakis/Cizeron and Lauzon/Dubreuil/Haguenauer will correct this, not technical panels. I don't see why this particular technical panel should have been biased towards P/C and V/M. It is likely that Gabriella and Guillaume did indeed have some small imperfections in their partial step sequence which were simply unvisible (or practically invisible) to a non-expert eye which very often happens in ice dancing.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Well they made errors somewhere then... I have no clue. :laugh:

In France, that 'stumble" was a clearly part of the playful choreography. But this time, I really can't tell whether it was intentional or accidental at the first time...I won't be surprised if the judges read that as a mistake

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I'm actually really, really glad with the results today. In the past two years I have the impression that everyone started to think P/C are like the all-time best team and the champions of forever, whereas in reality, in my opinion, there is still so much more they could improve on. Gabi is still falling behind and visibly weaker than her partner. Technically they're definitely not there yet. Just because they have a great chemistry or style doesn't mean they have surpassed, or even reached, the level of V/M and D/W at their peak. Because they haven't. And I'm really glad it's visible now.