2016 Skate America Short Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Short Dance

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The judges continue to tell Hubbell and Donohue to do something about the SD. Charlie White said it too, that there are too many cuts in the 2nd half. The lack of musical coherence is doing them no favours.

The Shibs had some lovely elements, as always. But I am not digging that music. Two songs mashed together does not sound good. I am a bit surprised hearing that they were looking for music since December of last year and they came up with this. They can do so much better, IMO. This is not a home run like "Fix You" was.

Loved I/Z. Elena gives the best face!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Elena needs to dial it down a bit for Ruslan. It always looks like she's overcompensating for him when it comes to expression and performance and it runs the risk of her being OTT.

As to the Shibs' music edit, it was done by them and a member of the highly respected Quest Crew. Maybe they'll work on smoothing the rougher parts of the mash up since some people have issues with it. I found the level of thought they put into the routine to really show in the choreography and performance. There are so many little details I keep finding when I watch it. Truly outstanding and respectful of the genre.

The Shibs PCS and GOE are very encouraging at this point in the season and are pretty consistent across the board. Shows the judges will reward hip hop if done with the care that the Shibs had.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
Seriously? Like why bother with having a competition?

Her program component scores:

Shibs=9.50-9.25-9.50-9.25-9.50
Hubbell/Donuhue=9.00-9.25-9.00-9.00-9.25
Bobrova/Soloviev=9.00-8.75-9.00-8.75-8.75
Guignard/Fabbri=8.75-8.50-8.75-8.50-9.00
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin=8.00-7.50-8.00-7.50-8.25

Even italian judge didn't score Guignard/Fabbri that high.:laugh: Sharon Rogers is amazing!:laugh:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I didn't find Elena over the top for this performance. Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing Madison Chock's expressions and compared to Evan she just seems OTT. Elena is bit more complementary, IMO. They had some issues technically so we'll see how they progress with this SD.

As for the Shibs it's nice that they got such respected help and put so much thought into it. The judges clearly appreciated it too, and they have fantastic GOEs and PCS. I as a fan did not like the music, and felt disappointed knowing how much effort went into it and that this (music) was the result. I guess I just expected better.

elif

Medalist
I found Shibutani's GOEs on side by side steps and partial step sequence very suspicious. Blues pattern got same GOE as other teams. Which they deserve a lot of less. I hope head judge is not American and going to question judges on their marks. There is only 5 difficult turn on side by side steps. Hardly any edges to judge, everybody walking on the ice. Why there is so much point difference? They got level2, so there is clean edge problems least half of the turns. +3 GOE for that.:laugh:

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
As to the Shibs' music edit, it was done by them and a member of the highly respected Quest Crew. Maybe they'll work on smoothing the rougher parts of the mash up since some people have issues with it. I found the level of thought they put into the routine to really show in the choreography and performance. There are so many little details I keep finding when I watch it. Truly outstanding and respectful of the genre.

I really liked their music; for me, it sounded better in the live broadcast than in the fancams. However, I do recognize that it's a bit of a "polarizing" SD. Oh, well. I loved the opening and the choreo during the part where the music transitioned into a mashup. What about you?

Barb

Record Breaker
Shibs music is good, and I am not even familiar with Jay Z or Frank Sinatra (except the song my way). I guess people just need hear it more times. I appreciate they did not come with the same overused songs and movements like some teams did it.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I have so many questions for tech panel at this event. And for judging panel for that matter... I watched only top 5 teams and honestly I'm surprised how messy performance of Madi and Zach even got 2.5 higher score than Elena and Ruslan? They skated worse than in Finland :dbana:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Really, really liked I/Z. Their program is a winner. They were a tad nervous but they'll only get better as the season progresses :)

I would say that their program is not worse than any other uninspiring SD of the season. But honestly, I don't see anything special about it. 'Carmen' was special, this program is not. But it's not a disaster either, like some people here making it to be. And Elena is shining bright :luv17: My opinion.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I liked the Shibs and Bobrova/Soloviev. Both teams skated NOT so perfectly. I see slight improvement from the Shibs to 'widen' their amplitude and skate bigger, but it's not enough for me to fully enjoy their style of skating yet. I hope the mistakes will be resolved before the next event, because there were a lot of flat edges and little imperfections here and there.
Ekaterina and Dmitri had best skate of this SD presentation-wise, and absolutely worst technically! Even their first event in Samara at the beginning of September was better on that aspect. Katia looked very nervous, and two her double twizzles during their step sequences costed them 3 points of TES mark. I'm in horror how they got lower than 9 for SS, though! Like, in what reality? And overall I would say their PCS should be much closer to what the Shibs got. But they'll get theirs at Rostelecom Cup, so no worries here :biggrin:

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
Bobrova/Soloviev and Tobias/Tkachenko had one judge each calling for costume violation.

Muramoto/Reed, Min/Gamelin, Agafonova/Ucar, Guignard/Fabbri had one judge each calling "violation of choreography restrictions".

QuadThrow

Medalist
The points for the SD will rise over 80 if the top pairs get all the levels.

This make the SD more important. The relation between SP and FP is usually 1:2. In Ice Dance it is around 2:3.

Barb

Record Breaker
Bobrova/Soloviev and Tobias/Tkachenko had one judge each calling for costume violation.

Muramoto/Reed, Min/Gamelin, Agafonova/Ucar, Guignard/Fabbri had one judge each calling "violation of choreography restrictions".

why?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The judges continue to tell Hubbell and Donohue to do something about the SD. Charlie White said it too, that there are too many cuts in the 2nd half. The lack of musical coherence is doing them no favours.

Well they did change it already, taking out almost all of the "I like big butts" section, which was a good change. I think that last footwork sequence just isn't very good, particularly with the music, which brings the program down.

elif

Medalist
I would say that their program is not worse than any other uninspiring SD of the season. But honestly, I don't see anything special about it. 'Carmen' was special, this program is not. But it's not a disaster either, like some people here making it to be. And Elena is shining bright :luv17: My opinion.

I notice I/Z skates with more transitions this year. But somehow they got worse transitions score than Carmen SD. (???) Short dance performance was good, they have energy and she is selling like always.

Entry of the twizzles:In Carmen it was forward backward crossovers. This time there is face to face close holds, dance jump in holds and immediately after twizzles.
Entry of side by side steps:After twizzles they close holds, face to face and unexpected jump entry. In Carmen it was mostly open holds and crossovers.
Entry of the pattern dance: In Carmen, there is open hold crossovers, this time they come with different holds, change of holds it not so open.

This short dance probably hardest short dance Ilinykh ever skated. I don't remember any other program like that from I/K and I/Z.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Shibs fans getting more and more panic???:laugh:
I am not exactly their fan although I like them, but what is there to panic about? They got 73 with two level 2 step sequences and a level 3 lift. To me this result seems far from panick-worthy. Your opinion on their performance and GOE is of no relevance. The only thing that matters is whether they will be getting scores close to these in other competitions which I think they will as they are bound to improve their levels and overall skating/performance from their first outing of the season. There is even a big chance of getting a higher score than this for their SD.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
I am not exactly their fan although I like them, but what is there to panic about? They got 73 with two level 2 step sequences and a level 3 lift. To me this result seems far from panickworthy. Your opinion on their performance and GOE is of no relevance. The only thing that matters is whether they will be getting scores close to these in other competitions which I think they will as they are bound to improve their levels and overall skating/performance from their first outing of the season.

It is just reply for the ''manic'' comment. I know it is bad but....:laugh:

I think Shibs are in trouble but skating in US hiding that. Small ice covarage, small extention on pattern dance, slow skating going to bother them. I have seen so many times big scores on Skate America, Canada, Cup of Russia. Undeserving scores always come back and bother you. Not in grand prix but big competitions. Look at hyping of Chock/Bates for last 3 year. Suddenly everything is not that good. I call this ''Belbin/Agosto moment''. Ohh big scores, everything going great, will get big scores next competition and what?

OK we love skates without mistakes. I love clean work. Shibutanis problems are they are not skating like big couples. You can't correct that in season. I'm glad finally judges notice Chock/Bates. Next one is Shibs who skates like they are in 2011. There is reason why judges let them down. They are repeating same thing again.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Well they did change it already, taking out almost all of the "I like big butts" section, which was a good change. I think that last footwork sequence just isn't very good, particularly with the music, which brings the program down.

Not a big enough change. He would rather they use fewer cuts. Well, it's up to them and their team. Gilles/Poirier proved last year you can get some bad marks, go back, and rework an SD to amazing levels.