2016 Worlds website is live; all-event tix on sale Nov 3 2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds website is live; all-event tix on sale Nov 3 2014

RobinA

On the Ice
My skating travel friend and I were definitely going to Worlds because we had such a good time in Boston for Nats. We usually travel with Dash Tours. Got their package last week and it is outrageously expensive. Then we saw the ticket prices on the Worlds website and were REALLY outraged.

When I started attending events in 1995 I traveled with the late Colonial Travel, which I thought was very good back then. I knew I was paying a little extra for convenience, but that was OK. I went with them until their 2003 Worlds prices came out. The price was $4000 - $5000. I cancelled immediately, as you could cancel within 30 days of when it was priced. That was the first time I made the arrangements on my own, because there was no way I was not going, nor could I pay that kind of money. I did the trip for $1000 plus, had very good seats, and didn't stay at an econo-hotel. In fact, the hotel was in walking distance. That's when I dropped going on package tours and started doing it myself. To no disadvantage I don't think, unless you have to sit in the first row, which I do not.

You should do fine, and WAY cheaper, doing your own package, as long as the actual ticket prices don't break your bank. Which they have fo me at this point.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Have you guys considered using Airbnb for lodging?

If I buy individual sessions tickets, will I still have the option of sitting in the first few rows?

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I'm curious on this too. I'm planning on taking the week off from work and attending all sessions, so the all-event tickets make sense to me. However, my friend who I am staying with in Boston will probably want to join me for a few events. Can she do so? Could I move up to worse seats so we could watch together for those events?

anyanka

Record Breaker
That's quite a lot of money for the good seats, and I've been to Beantown several times, it is NOT cheap there. This could be an expensive trip. That said, hopefully it'll be gorgeous by end of winter / beginning of spring.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Junior Worlds is a separate event and is held in a completely different venue at an earlier time.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have used the Canadian travel company DASH for about 6 competitions ranging from Worlds to Skate Canada to several Nationals. Most recently we used them for the 2014 Boston Nationals and were very pleased. We've always been very pleased! But imagine my dismay when we were informed that the pricing for the 2016 Worlds is almost DOUBLE what Nationals was - including the hotel we stayed in just this past January. We will not be using DASH for the 2016 Worlds and will forego our choice of seats to put a package together ourselves. My good sense won out over their greed!!!

P.S. All event tickets do NOT include the championship gala!!!!! Those tickets are almost always separate! And to answer the question upstream. if you buy an all-event ticket, the chances of a friend joining you next to your seating assignment is probably slim and none!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I if I just want to watch men's and ladies', how do I buy tickets?

No change from what is in the OP:
~ "Tickets for each individual competition, also known as single session tickets, will go on sale in the fall of 2015."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have used the Canadian travel company DASH for about 6 competitions ranging from Worlds to Skate Canada to several Nationals. Most recently we used them for the 2014 Boston Nationals and were very pleased. We've always been very pleased! But imagine my dismay when we were informed that the pricing for the 2016 Worlds is almost DOUBLE what Nationals was - including the hotel we stayed in just this past January. We will not be using DASH for the 2016 Worlds and will forego our choice of seats to put a package together ourselves. My good sense won out over their greed!!!
!!

Also considering that Nationals was an 8-day event, while Worlds is usually only 5 days!!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Jesus christ...

Thank god i got family in Boston,

Amazing how just moving from row 3 to 2 would cost you almost double.

shine

Record Breaker
A question for anyone who has experience getting individual event tickets - wince the individual event tickets don't go on sale until a year after, does that mean there will be mostly crappier seats by then? Or does organizer reserve some premier seats for the individual even ticket holders as well?

noskates

Record Breaker
Having been to a Worlds competition twice, if you have the money it's best to get an all-event package if you want good seats. There is always the chance when individual tickets go on sale that there is one seat in the middle of the good tickets that hasn't been purchased.

On a happy note, I and my 3 traveling companions were able to get our tickets purchased and talked to the rep about what seats we wanted and in what section of TD Garden. Having just been there in January for Nationals we were pretty specific about where we wanted to sit. There was no commitment to that yet but we were told we would hear shortly if we got our seat assignments. There are obviously better seats than others, but the Garden is a great place to watch a skating event. The one thing I would suggest is not to sit in the first 1-5 rows. We sat in the first row for the gala in January and the visibility of the entire rink is compromised. We had been in row 11 for the competition and it was perfect. You could see the entire rink, get a feel for speed, etc. Will never sit in the front row again!

Since we have a travel agent in the group, and as I mentioned before, we're doing our own package. The train station is right in TD Garden so we figure we can find a relatively inexpensive (notice the word relatively) somewhere on the train line and won't have to worry about being close to the arena, wont' have to take taxis, and can go to this without auctioning off a house and a car! :laugh:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm only going to purchase single session tickets for the mens event cause that's my favorite discipline. And that's IF I CAN go. Cause I have no idea what the schedule of classes for the Spring 2016 semester will be like. And on what classes I'll be taking and when the mens events will be.

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Hopefully the mens events will be on a Friday and Saturday. But I know very well that it's not up to me when the mens event will be. Gotta wait and see. :scowl:

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Question... I'm thinking about getting tickets to Worlds now. I would want to see as much as I could and make a whole weekend of it.

However, I could likely only travel to be there Thursday-Sunday.

What is the likelihood I'd miss some events if I bought a full package, but could only arrive on Thursday? I don't care so much about practice, just the events.

Trying to figure out if it would make more sense financially to wait for single session tickets.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Similar situation. This is some serious $$$ and when I've attended shows (never been to a comp) I keep my expenses down to a few hundred at most. I was hoping to make this work for less than 4 figures (and not sit in nosebleed seating) but otherwise, if it's absolutely necessary to spend more than that, I want to make the most of it (or just not go, of course).