2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 238 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

atsumiri

Record Breaker
What I wanted to say is that Eteri doesn't have the same success with the boys as with the girls. In my opinion, the reason for that is her psychological approach which works for girls, but not with boys.
In my opinion, girls and boys just different. It's not about approach...
I don't know ... any single boy who has never bombed anything.
And the reason is - more difficult content.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think breaking into the men's field would mean becoming consistently successful in a way which at least somewhat resembles what's going on in ladies. At the moment she is just one of many coaches who are trying to get somewhere with men. She has the same problem as everyone else of not having tons of material to sift through and having to try to make something of what she has. And she obviously doesn't like this, she really needs students who fit her rather than vice versa.

hanca

Record Breaker
What I wanted to say is that Eteri doesn't have the same success with the boys as with the girls. In my opinion, the reason for that is her psychological approach which works for girls, but not with boys.

It’s not only that. There is a huge difference between junior versus senior men, but not as much technical difference between junior versus senior lady. That means that if Turberidze brings up a girl to be at the top of the junior field, this girl already has the technical ability to do well in seniors. In junior and senior ladies they do the same jumps (same difficulty- in the SP they do one of the harder triple-triple combination, solo triple jump and double axel. In the FS they do max seven triple jumps, that means all triple jumps except of axel and two of them can be repeated. I am saying except of axel because Asada or Tuktamysheva were exceptions. Most senior ladies don’t have triple axel). Unlike in ladies, in men the difference between juniors and seniors is huge. In juniors having a quad is an exception. There is only a handful of men who have a quad in juniors, the majority of junior men don’t have it. However, in seniors men having one quad means nothing. One needs at least three quads and possibly more to fight for medals in senior men. That means if Tutberidze brings up Medvedeva or Zagitova to be at the top of junior ladies, the following seasons they would be great in seniors as long as they stay consistent and land everything they were landing in their junior season. If Tutberidze gets a junior man (e.g. Pitkeev) to the top at junior level, the following season it means nothing because having one quad means nothing in senior men - they need much more than just one quad. So from top juniors the men suddenly become average/slightly under average senior men. That’s not only Tutberidze’s boys, it is across the field. It takes a few years before the boys catch up on all those quads.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Medvedeva withdraws from Nationals.
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1058562093.html

Reportedly (Sharov), it took highest RusFed and RusSport officials visiting "Sambo 70" yesterday to convince her - she insisted in participating. :)

The Russian Newspaper (RG) has confirmed this. https://www.rg.ru/2017/12/19/figuristka-medvedeva-ne-vystupit-na-chempionate-rossii.html

It´s said that she is supposed to compete at Europeans and that the Olympics are not in danger.

то есть все шансы увидеть ее в Москве на чемпионате Европы, который пройдет с 15 по 21 января. А 9 февраля стартуют зимние Олимпийские игры в Пхенчхане, где, несмотря на все сложности с допуском наших спортсменов до Игр, Медведева наверняка выступит.

andromache

Record Breaker
It takes a few years before the boys catch up on all those quads.

It's not only the quads - most new senior men are pretty far behind the more experienced men in terms of skating skills and presentation, especially if they move up as soon as they are age-eligible (which most do not, in part for this reason). New senior men also seem to have a difficult time with spins and element levels. They just can't seem to get the polish that the young girls can - probably at least a little bit because they have to start working on 3As and quads.

Men just take more patience, sometimes years of investment before they peak. Eteri's program seems to thrive because of the "deliver or die" attitude, but this approach just doesn't work as well for men.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
It's not only the quads - most new senior men are pretty far behind the more experienced men in terms of skating skills and presentation, especially if they move up as soon as they are age-eligible (which most do not, in part for this reason). New senior men also seem to have a difficult time with spins and element levels. They just can't seem to get the polish that the young girls can - probably at least a little bit because they have to start working on 3As and quads.

Men just take more patience, sometimes years of investment before they peak. Eteri's program seems to thrive because of the "deliver or die" attitude, but this approach just doesn't work as well for men.
Why is it, though? I mean, we look at Alexandra Trusova - She gets full levels on all the elements and ... well, is somewhat lacking in skating skills and presentation but not absolutely dreadful. She has more quads than any 13-year-old boy will likely ever have. We look at Anna Shcherbakova - She gets full levels on all the elements and also has a quad and her presentation skills are something else. Why can these girls do this? The quad thing hardly works as an excuse considering they also have been practicing it, and actually have it(Or Shcherbakova had it, hopefully she regains it).

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Why is it, though? I mean, we look at Alexandra Trusova - She gets full levels on all the elements and ... well, is somewhat lacking in skating skills and presentation but not absolutely dreadful. She has more quads than any 13-year-old boy will likely ever have. We look at Anna Shcherbakova - She gets full levels on all the elements and also has a quad and her presentation skills are something else. Why can these girls do this? The quad thing hardly works as an excuse considering they also have been practicing it, and actually have it(Or Shcherbakova had it, hopefully she regains it).
i think SS and levels for girls more easy to get than for boys. :scratch2:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Having to do with the innate difference in flexibility? Hmm I see, it can certainly be more difficult for men to perform some steps. They can require surprisingly much flexibility that you might not think of.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I am not sure girls necessarily have better SS - especially not Eteri's girls, her group doesn't seem to be very interested in developing that aspect of skating. Their approach to transitions is quantity over quality. Someone like Tarakanova with good SS came to Eteri that way.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Why is it, though? I mean, we look at Alexandra Trusova - She gets full levels on all the elements and ... well, is somewhat lacking in skating skills and presentation but not absolutely dreadful. She has more quads than any 13-year-old boy will likely ever have.

How many quads does Stephen Gogolev have? He's turning 13 in a few days.