2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I don't know what to think of Marin. She looks quite aesthetic and sublime, but her scores do not reflect it. I also happen to think that she is correctly judged but can't quite tell what is wrong. What do you guys think?

QuadSal

On the Ice
I don't know what to think of Marin. She looks quite aesthetic and sublime, but her scores do not reflect it. I also happen to think that she is correctly judged but can't quite tell what is wrong. What do you guys think?

I think it's combination of having low scores in GPs and the hand down mistake on the loop. When I watched on SP while her skating is beautiful, it looks to me, that skating looks a bit disconnected to the music, like doesn't quite match the highs and lows of the music all the way through.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally fell asleep at 3:30 am but just watched the top 6 ladies. Congrats to Kaori on winning the short. Big applause for Rika H. Looks like she REALLY is back from her injury now! I was getting all emotional watching her in the K & C. Really enjoyed Satoko - I think the small amount of weight she has put on has been so good for her. She seemed to be skating with more power.

I love Sui Takeuchi. Does anyone know if she is related to Kotaro?

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Her SP performance just hasn't been great at least this season. For the FS it's as if she gets in the zone and really performs whereas for the SP she seems to moreso be going through the motions. Perhaps she requires that "underdog" scenario where she's behind after her SP with no expectations that she can perform in a truly relaxed manner?

Japan really should look into mental coaching, this seems like a recurring theme.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

She seems a bit slow to me. Also lacking in confidence. I guess, when your coach is publicly critisizing you for not training enough, there must be some truth to it. She has the x-factor that much is sure, but I think the other girls are more ambitious, in a way. I think her so-so scores are excellent wake up calls. It'll be good for her to not go to the Olympics and see others chosen. It will hopefully light a fire to prove herself. This said, I love to watch her, she's such a joyful skater and very elegant.

deedee1

Record Breaker
"RIKA HONGO ROCKED THE HOUSE!!!" :rock::rock::rock:

I was there. May write some more later when I have time. :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
"RIKA HONGO ROCKED THE HOUSE!!!" :rock::rock::rock:

I was there. May write some more later when I have time. :)

There was so much love from the audience for Rika, you could feel it through the screen! Great that you've joined the cheers, deedee. Shoma will miss you, though! :cry:

deedee1

Record Breaker

To my eyes, Marin lacked energy throughout. She sort of 'held back' and didn't attack. Hope she'll come back strong in the free.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Marin definitely has that "star quality", but I do think her work ethic is not always quite what it should be. I am remembering that at one point there was an interview with her where she said she loved skating in ice shows. To me she is more into the smiley showmanship than the grit of competition. I saw her live at Skate Canada, and I can definitely testify to her being very lovely on the ice. I do think she has a ways to go before she is Olympic ready. I haven't checked her spin levels for this skate, but I know many times she does get "dinged" on her spins.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I think it's combination of having low scores in GPs and the hand down mistake on the loop. When I watched on SP while her skating is beautiful, it looks to me, that skating looks a bit disconnected to the music, like doesn't quite match the highs and lows of the music all the way through.

I watched her again and in better quality this time and you are absolutely right. I don't like this type of music anyways and Marin was definitely disconnected at certain times.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Her SP performance just hasn't been great at least this season. For the FS it's as if she gets in the zone and really performs whereas for the SP she seems to moreso be going through the motions. Perhaps she requires that "underdog" scenario where she's behind after her SP with no expectations that she can perform in a truly relaxed manner?

Japan really should look into mental coaching, this seems like a recurring theme.

You are right about mental coaching. I think Kaori's success was partly had to do with lack of pressure on her. She just skated as best as she can without overthinking and did great.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
She seems a bit slow to me. Also lacking in confidence. I guess, when your coach is publicly critisizing you for not training enough, there must be some truth to it. She has the x-factor that much is sure, but I think the other girls are more ambitious, in a way. I think her so-so scores are excellent wake up calls. It'll be good for her to not go to the Olympics and see others chosen. It will hopefully light a fire to prove herself. This said, I love to watch her, she's such a joyful skater and very elegant.

I thought she would be a complete package at the next Olympics but all these commercials, shows etc. and the remarks of her coach are making me worry about her career. I hope she follows her dreams whatever they may be.

Barb

Record Breaker

true, Marin never looks very disappointed with bad results, it is fine, but it could reflect that she does not care so much as other girls. Maybe she could benefit to be training in other country, she is so popular in Japan and it could be distracting for her, though I know it must be hard leave to her family.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a competition! And I love the enthusiasm and packed crowds at Japanese Nationals :)

Kaori being first after the SP is not so surprising after her amazing performance at SA which must've boosted her confidence. I hope the pressure of being in 1st doesn't get to her in the FS. If she wins Nationals, she will definitely give the Japanese Fed something to think about about sending her to the Olympics.

Satoko is fighting through her jumps but her overall skating is so lovely and detailed. I think she deserves all the PCS she gets and want to see her go to S. Korea.

What a surprise from Rika H! Such passion in her performance today. I didn't even have her in my top 6 predictions but hope she keeps the momentum up for the FS.

Surprised to see some errors from Marin, Rika K (despite a gorgeous 3A and combo), Wakaba and Mai. I suppose the nerves and pressure can get to them.

To restate the obvious, really a shame that Japan only has 2 spots with so much talent in this group of young women. There will be both heartbreak and jubilation over the next few days.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
If they want to send Kaori to the Olympics, I'll be throwing a private party.
And crying in a corner at the same time to mourn the fact that someone else (Wakaba? Mai? Rika? Marin?) didn't make it.
Japanese nationals are harsh. :sad21:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japanese Ladies are really stepping it up these days. So much talent and depth really making things interesting. I don’t think it matters who they send because whoever gets the opportunity we will all be the better for it. Every one of them has something to offer. I only wish I had time to follow this event closer.

That said...it’s nice to see Rika Hongo in the mix :pray:

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
Kaori being first after the SP is not so surprising after her amazing performance at SA which must've boosted her confidence. I hope the pressure of being in 1st doesn't get to her in the FS. If she wins Nationals, she will definitely give the Japanese Fed something to think about about sending her to the Olympics.

If she wins the Nationals they have to send her according to their criteria of selection. The 1st at Nationals automatically gets a spot as far as I know. The rest (which is only 1 this season) are determined by the Fed based on several other qualifications.

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
If they want to send Kaori to the Olympics, I'll be throwing a private party.
And crying in a corner at the same time to mourn the fact that someone else (Wakaba? Mai? Rika? Marin?) didn't make it.
Japanese nationals are harsh. :sad21:

Kaori is so close to the Olympic dream right now. I think it will all depend on Satoko and her URs. Kaori's LP is enjoyable as well but we don't know if she is good with pressure yet. I think Satoko is better than Kaori overall at the moment, but a clean Kaori should beat a Satoko with underrotated jump(s) We will see what happens.

I think the worst scenario for Kaori is to be the second after Satoko but not be chosen for the Olympics. Wakaba is a strong candidate and if she is clean too their overall scores should be close.

I can't wait to see they compete, this is too exciting for me.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
true, Marin never looks very disappointed with bad results, it is fine, but it could reflect that she does not care so much as other girls. Maybe she could benefit to be training in other country, she is so popular in Japan and it could be distracting for her, though I know it must be hard leave to her family.

I disagree ... did people forget how Marin was crying in Kiss and Cry at Skate Canada after SP already?