2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP

matscol

Rinkside
Are the protocols posted anywhere? They're not where I'd expect them to be with the results page... or maybe the JSF just updates them later?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I disagree ... did people forget how Marin was crying in Kiss and Cry at Skate Canada after SP already?

Oh I think she's disappointed. Very much so. You could also see it in her eyes after the SP here. I have the feeling that Marin loves the sport mainly for it's performance part, the spotlight, the attention, the dresses, the glamour. And she's got the presentation down, she's fabulous! But most of the time for figure skaters they spend their lives outside of the spotlight training day in day out in some ice rink, where no one is watching or paying attention to you. It's hard, hard work, behind the scenes. Not every day is competition, not everyday is exciting. The audience doesn't see how many hours the skaters torture themselves during off season or in between competitions. If she doesn't enjoy that part of the sport, it will be impossible to get to the top in the senior scene. If she keeps making mistakes and not make the team, finishes off podium in the years to come, people will begin to pay less and less attention to her. Success gets you fans and attention. 6th place at Nationals doesn't.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I disagree ... did people forget how Marin was crying in Kiss and Cry at Skate Canada after SP already?

IMO you could see after her score came up for her US Classic SP that she was unhappy with it too. She does have competitive drive. Maybe not to the same point as some of the others, maybe she is distracted by other things (media ect), but it's not like she doesn't care at all.

Not sure if it was posted yet, some judging details can be found at this twitter account. Satokos 3Lo was deemed rotated :palmf:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If they want to send Kaori to the Olympics, I'll be throwing a private party.
And crying in a corner at the same time to mourn the fact that someone else (Wakaba? Mai? Rika? Marin?) didn't make it.
Japanese nationals are harsh. :sad21:

Same here... There will be reason to be happy and a whole lot of heartbreak for other Ladies...

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Happy for Kaori, Satoko, and Rika. Worried for Wakaba. Gutted for Mai. :(

I wish the Canadian ladies could donate their third spot.

tars

Record Breaker
Another underscoring fest on Marin. This time at home. :clap::dance:

Standing ovation! On your feet and let's go:
Everybody says "J"!
Everybody says "S"!
Everybody says "F"
!

Ooops, I think I just threw up, sorry. :sarcasm:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
IMO you could see after her score came up for her US Classic SP that she was unhappy with it too. She does have competitive drive. Maybe not to the same point as some of the others, maybe she is distracted by other things (media ect), but it's not like she doesn't care at all.

Not sure if it was posted yet, some judging details can be found at this twitter account. Satokos 3Lo was deemed rotated :palmf:

Well I did not follow US Classic so I was unaware ...
Yeah, she still really has some of this competitive drive, the problem might be this distracting factor. To be honest I thought that some people were over-optimistic during her previous season regarding the next one, treating her as the second coming of Jesus. All that without taking into account certain weaknesses she possessed, making very early coronation and expecting every other girl to bow down.

combinationspin

On the Ice
Well I did not follow US Classic so I was unaware ...
Yeah, she still really has some of this competitive drive, the problem might be this distracting factor. To be honest I thought that some people were over-optimistic during her previous season regarding the next one, treating her as the second coming of Jesus. All that without taking into account certain weaknesses she possessed, making very early coronation and expecting every other girl to bow down.

I think people were just enamoured by her overall charm, you may also call it x factor, star power, total package etc. In that regard she does stand out, there's a reason why the media loves her and she was just voted second most popular female Japanese athletes by Oricon.
However, since the ISU judging system is all about componentizing, she really needs to improve her elements (jump content, jump and spin quality, levels) and play by the rules to be a contender. But imo the judging system fails to capture the holistic qualities that are her strengths.

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Omg. My heart. My heart.
No matter who wins and gets to go to the olympics I will be absolutely thrilled and sad at the same time! Kaori is so musical and quirky. Satoko is so royal. Wakaba is so powerful. Can't we just donate another spot to these ladies? Please?

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
Another underscoring fest on Marin. This time at home. :clap::dance:

Standing ovation! On your feet and let's go:
Everybody says "J"!
Everybody says "S"!
Everybody says "F"
!

Ooops, I think I just threw up, sorry. :sarcasm:

I guess beyond being a fan of hers (I am too, I think she's lovely to watch and hers is the only program where I was compelled to put down what I was doing to fully watch), what specific part of her judging sheet do you think should have been changed? (She did put her hand down on her loop, after all)

Protocols here, for convenience (thanks to cohkaix for the link): http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2017-2018/fs_j/nationalsenior/data0203.pdf

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I really like Satoko's skating but her jumps... were definitely underrotated.. The tech callers are not doing Satoko any favors for not giving her < or <<.
What I am worried about her at the Olympics, if she went, is that the tech callers at the Olympics could call all of Satoko's jumps underrotated. That is a huge risk.

Satoko's jumps usually get worse when she is nervous, yesterday was exactly that case.
If panel gave fair calls it should have been 3lz3t< 3lo <<, I was in shock when I saw protocol and found out that they called combo, whereas the 3lo was the most obvious one. I am her long time fan but I have to confess that
at Olympics her destiny will depend on panel, it is like 50/50 she can end 2nd or 3rd but she can also end up 6th ...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The 3T she could have gotten away with yeah, it's clear UR but almost passable.

The 3Lo just has to be intentional, though. They even marked it for a closer look and didn't find anything - Yeah, right.

Really annoying if one of my favorites gets dropped out of Olympics due to things like that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope some kind person will translate what Kaori and Satoko said in their interviews after they skated!