2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies SP

Globetrotter

Medalist

If we consider the prerotation, then yes it should be a <<. Unfortunately, the current roles only focus on the landing and not on the pre-rotation. So by that rule, << does not count. To me, the combo 3T is borderline and can go either way. Its the 3R that is clear as day <, so I am just surprise it s the 3T that was called and not the 3R.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
If we consider the prerotation, then yes it should be a <<. Unfortunately, the current roles only focus on the landing and not on the pre-rotation. So by that rule, << does not count. To me, the combo 3T is borderline and can go either way. Its the 3R that is clear as day <, so I am just surprise it s the 3T that was called and not the 3R.

Pretty generous. That loop doesn't head straight at the camera.

Also note it spins rapidly and that frame catches a moment when the skate already is firmly planted on the ground - It hit it earlier.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Another underscoring fest on Marin. This time at home. :clap::dance:

Standing ovation! On your feet and let's go:
Everybody says "J"!
Everybody says "S"!
Everybody says "F"
!

Ooops, I think I just threw up, sorry. :sarcasm:

Hmm I am not sure she was underscored. Her TES in the SP was pretty much in line with what she put out. With her PCS, it also looked right. Her usual smooth skating was not demonstrated yesterday (nerves??). She was also not her usual exuberant performer self and she skated through her music especially in the 2nd half after messing the 3R (too rattled probably). Her SS and PE were low as a result. I do agree she has a lot of natural X factor and star quality but they were not being brought forward to be given extra points. My disappointment in Marin was totally from knowing that she can be (and has shown she can be) so much more. Her FS in SC was a clear example - that performance was one where the judges ought to be slammed for PCS lowballing but not for the Nats SP where she certainly was underdelivering.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What I find really unfair to many other girls is how not only is the panel overlooking most of Satoko's URs, but the judges are overlooking the flaws in her jumps, too: her triples possess none of the qualities required to obtain positive GOE. They are small jumps with no height, no distance, no difficult entrance nor exit, no good air position nor take-off or landing position and so on. The only thing I can think of is that they may sometimes match the musical structure, but at the same time they also satisfy many of the criteria for negative GOE. So, how on Earth can they receive any positive GOE at all?! :scratch:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think people were just enamoured by her overall charm, you may also call it x factor, star power, total package etc. In that regard she does stand out, there's a reason why the media loves her and she was just voted second most popular female Japanese athletes by Oricon.
However, since the ISU judging system is all about componentizing, she really needs to improve her elements (jump content, jump and spin quality, levels) and play by the rules to be a contender. But imo the judging system fails to capture the holistic qualities that are her strengths.

I agree with you, this current judging system does not capture and does not hold great importance to that overall effect efficiently (or at all sometimes). It's not as important as in the past, at least not in singles disciplines. Sandra Bezic also, with regret, iterated this sentiment. I blame the numbers game and too many duties concurrently to do for that before anything dodgy myself.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I agree with you, this current judging system does not capture and does not hold great importance to that overall effect efficiently (or at all sometimes). It's not as important as in the past, at least not in singles disciplines. Sandra Bezic also, with regret, iterated this sentiment. I blame the numbers game and too many duties concurrently to do for that before anything dodgy myself.
And I agree with your previous post that many people were too optimistic about Marin. Some have already stopped hyping her (TSL, Phil Hersh, rockerskating) seeing she doesn‘t podium anywhere. And as a fan of Marin, I gotta say being among the top Japanese ladies won‘t be easy for her in the next years because Rika Kihira might have just started being consistent with her 3A and Wakaba might be able to debut hers soon.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
And I agree with your previous post that many people were too optimistic about Marin. Some have already stopped hyping her (TSL, Phil Hersh, rockerskating) seeing she doesn‘t podium anywhere. And as a fan of Marin, I gotta say being among the top Japanese ladies won‘t be easy for her in the next years because Rika Kihira might have just started being consistent with her 3A and Wakaba might be able to debut hers soon.

I didn't realize Kihira had a 3A. Actually, that was the first time I'd seen her, in the short program. My mouth almost dropped open when I heard 'triple axel' on the stream, haha.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I didn't realize Kihira had a 3A. Actually, that was the first time I'd seen her, in the short program. My mouth almost dropped open when I heard 'triple axel' on the stream, haha.

not only she has 3A she does it with 3T at LP!! she landed it cleanly and Junior Nationals (landed 2 at LP, 3A3T and 3A!) and JGPF!

whatif

Medalist
not only she has 3A she does it with 3T at LP!! she landed it cleanly and Junior Nationals (landed 2 at LP, 3A3T and 3A!) and JGPF!

And what is the point? We have been through this before. They land that 3A and then miss a jumping pass or bomb and it’s all void. I mean with that landed 3A she still couldn’t even beat the “has been” Rika Hongo.

geige

On the Ice
And the never ending Satoko bash fest continues
Made the mistake of popping into this thread, but now I am on my way out

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
And what is the point? We have been through this before. They land that 3A and then miss a jumping pass or bomb and it’s all void. I mean with that landed 3A she still couldn’t even beat the “has been” Rika Hongo.

the point? even with missing jumping pass she had higher TES than Rika, you sound as if skaters with no 3A never makes mistake, but i guess i am way too excited about a skater landing 3A better than some of the men :sarcasm:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Why the constant negativity? Rika Hongo skated well! Her best SP in a while. Calling her a "has been" is rude.

Kihira doubling the lutz was a major error (she'd be in first likely had she landed it), but the reason she's in the final flight is thanks to that 3A.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And the never ending Satoko bash fest continues
Made the mistake of popping into this thread, but now I am on my way out

Well it's not as rampant as usual because people's faves made errors and Satoko was dinged for a UR. Of course people will always complain that Satoko isn't marked down enough and their faves deserve better.

andromache

Record Breaker
Marin is too famous for not having achieved a lot yet (at least as a senior lady). I imagine that receiving that level of hype and attention can be distracting, as well as de-motivating. Fighting hard to prove yourself and being hungry - that's what can get people to really push themselves, and it helped Rika Hongo in this SP. But Marin has plenty of lovely qualities - maybe she will be able to take this experience and channel it into really proving herself next season.

The lack of UR for Satoko's 3Lo is egregious. I know everyone else is already saying it. I just have to acknowledge it, too. She's so lovely otherwise.

Kaori is great. She doesn't quite have the "it factor" yet, and I don't think her programs are anything sensational, but her knee bend is incredible, and she has everything she needs to contend in the years ahead (unfortunately, she won't be scored as an Olympic medal contender this time around, which is ridiculous. If Alina Zagitova can get those top-tier PCS, there's no reason why Kaori shouldn't).

Rika Hongo is a sentimental fave. Her posture still makes me cringe. It'll be real sad if she places top 2 overall and JSF sends someone else instead (though I wouldn't blame them for doing so).

Basically I want Wakaba to win everything. She's the closest Japan has to a total package - spins, jumps, programs, skating.

ETA: Rika Kihara is my darling - my favorite Japanese lady by a mile (not because I don't like the other Japanese ladies - I just like Kihara that much more). She needs to skate a clean program though. A shoo-in for Junior Worlds, either way.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Satoko received a total of +0.8 for all of her 3 jumping elements combined at nationals and only one ur call!!! So revolting, OMG!! The other athletes and coaches are probably so pissed right now, they were all so robbed, omg. Biggest injustice in the world. We should write letters to ISU, JSF and protest on the streets right now. Or at least repeat this for the 98989765th time in this forum because we didn't post enough about it.

ks777

Record Breaker
I think if Marin landed the 3 Rittberger Jump cleanly, she would have been 3rd. Too bad for that mistake. I really want Wakaba and Marin to go 1 and 2. I like Sakamoto's jumps but her none jump elements like spins.. are pretty ugly.

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
If anything I would have called Satoko's 3Lo and maybe let the 3Lz+3T slide.... re: Rika Hongo super happy for her but she tends to UR in the FS. Wakaba still should have a good chance at making the podium if she's clean (the judges really responded to her in the PCS).

ask

Match Penalty
I think if Marin landed the 3 Rittberger Jump cleanly, she would have been 3rd. Too bad for that mistake. I really want Wakaba and Marin to go 1 and 2. I like Sakamoto's jumps but her none jump elements like spins.. are pretty ugly.

Really? Kaori's first spin is amazing. Fast, centered.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I hope some kind person will translate what Kaori and Satoko said in their interviews after they skated!

Translating Kaori's interview from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-z7xRC070 As always, please comment if there is an error. It's not a word-for-word translation, but I hope I got the main parts.

Interviewer: At this big stage and amidst such tension, you performed wonderfully, looking back on it, what do you have to say?
Kaori: Traveling from the hotel to here, I was so nervous, I felt so nervous I thought I was going to die. But at the competition I was able to calm down and do well, so that's really good.
Interviewer: In the second half, you landed your triple combo and it seemed like your momentum increased, how did it feel to you?
Kaori: I felt all three jumps were very good.
Interviewer: The day after tomorrow is the free performance for the Olympics, what kind of performance do you want?
Kaori: If I am calm I can do a 'no-miss' so I'd like to do all I can do and aim for the podium.

Translating Satoko's interview from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbuczp0-sw8
Interviewer: This Nationals, after returning from injury, what are your thoughts after the Short Program?
Satoko: It's a Japan Nationals in which I am more nervous than before so I'd like to make an effort concentrate on my own performance in the Free.
Interviewer: This years Nationals also decides Olympic berths, please share about the day after tomorrow's Free Skate.
Satoko: I think the Short was good, but I there there was some nervousness in there, so I'd like to skate with more attack. (The word is 'omoikitte' is there a better translation than 'power?' It's more like power with intention. :biggrin:)

Last edited: