2017 CS Nebelhorn Short Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Nebelhorn Short Dance

TMC

Record Breaker
See my post:

Denmark has very strict residency requirements for citizenship and FB/S train in Canada, so no chance of her getting the c-ship. Not even though they're married :(

They are married`? I didn't know that!

So the Finns have a good chance after all, even though I just read a piece online this morning that basically said they have no chance :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Can someone remind me if Korea already qualified a spot for the Olympics?

Anyway, just having seen Min/Gamelin's SD, the problem is really with the construction of that SD. If they're going to use Despacito, they should not cut it off before it really gets going and gets catchy. It cuts off way too abruptly and the tone changed way too suddenly. The last part is so disjointed from the rest of the program. The Novi team needs to really re-think this SD and start anew. They can keep the elements as they are but just re-arrange it to make the SD actually work and entertaining.

I'm adding Lorenz/Polizoakis to my "like" pile of this season's SDs. Right now, Muramoto/Reed and Gilles/Poirier occupy by top spots on that list.

Coomes/Buckland's SD is successful because it reminds me so much of Torvill/Dean's 1994 OD, which I know can be distracting or even a bad thing, but because it's so much like Torvill/Dean's OD and was choreographed by Dean himself, it's a very coherent program and knows what it is with strong direction. That in itself is actually a really impressive feat these days.

nimi

Medalist
So the Finns have a good chance after all, even though I just read a piece online this morning that basically said they have no chance :laugh:
In theory, yes. In practice... We'll see. So many teams so close to each other. A lot of things can happen. (Also, I don't want to jinx them... *fingers crossed*)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They are married`? I didn't know that!

Btw I'm not sure about this, wouldn't be the first time I've gotten facts/teams mixed up! :laugh:

They aren't married, yet anyways, though they are a long-term couple. It's another of the young Gadbois teams with a French-Canadian girl skating for a different country that's married, Marie-Jade Lauriault and Romain Le Gac.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's so strange not seeing anyone from team Gadbois/Montreal. I guess it shows how successful they've been.

True. Plus most of their lower level teams wouldn't be here. Fear/Gibson (GBR) and Fukase/Tateno (JPN) aren't the top team from their country, Lauriault/Le Gac (FRA) have spots because of Papadakis/Cizeron and Smart/Diaz got it done at Worlds. Overall though, they a bunch of team who'll be at the Games, even without Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson being able to attend: Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron, Hubbell/Donohue, possibly Lauriault/Le Gac for the second french spot, maybe Smart/Diaz for Spain.

In terms of Olympic spots, six countries here will get one since the Danes will have had to give their's back. It sounds like the Lithuanian team may have trouble getting citizenship even if they qualify, so it could go as far as 7th here for an Olympic spot.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
True. Plus most of their lower level teams wouldn't be here. Fear/Gibson (GBR) and Fukase/Tateno (JPN) aren't the top team from their country, Lauriault/Le Gac (FRA) have spots because of Papadakis/Cizeron and Smart/Diaz got it done at Worlds. Overall though, they a bunch of team who'll be at the Games, even without Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson being able to attend: Virtue/Moir, Papadakis/Cizeron, Hubbell/Donohue, possibly Lauriault/Le Gac for the second french spot, maybe Smart/Diaz for Spain.

In terms of Olympic spots, six countries here will get one since the Danes will have had to give their's back. It sounds like the Lithuanian team may have trouble getting citizenship even if they qualify, so it could go as far as 7th here for an Olympic spot.

Thank you for the additional information!

nimi

Medalist
They aren't married, yet anyways, though they are a long-term couple. It's another of the young Gadbois teams with a French-Canadian girl skating for a different country that's married, Marie-Jade Lauriault and Romain Le Gac.
Thanks for correction, I think I totally got those Gadbois teams confused! But even if they were married, it wouldn't help, because the residency requirement for married spouses is 7 years (instead of 10) or something...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for correction, I think I totally got those Gadbois teams confused! But even if they were married, it wouldn't help, because the residency requirement for married spouses is 7 years (instead of 10) or something...

A lot of the Gadbois teams are in relationships with each other (just like their coaches). Laurence and Nik, Marie-Jade and Romain are married of course, Carolane Soucisse and Shane Firus are dating, and then Madison and Zach used to date and now each date half of the Spanish team Smart/Diaz.

And yeah, that's the hard part for them about citizenship - they can't train in Denmark because of a lack of coaches and facilities, so she can't get the residence.

Andrea82

Medalist
Does Allison have any chance of getting Lithuanian citizenship? I don't think there any other Lithuanian ice dance teams

I correct myself. There is a Junior Lithuanian team: Guoste Damuleviciute / Deividas Kizala (17th at Junior Worlds 2017).

If R/A qualify a spot, D/K may try some senior competitions to try and achieve the minimum TES.

vavavoom

Rinkside
I managed to see the first 8 performances (well, there were some technical issues but still). Saw Coomes/Buckland, they seem to be in great shape!

Min/Gamelin seemed to struggle a bit. I hope Lukáš Csölley and his new partner qualify right here without having to wait, as he was denied the spot last time around and was the first alternate.

Now that it is said to be almost 100% certain that the Danes will not participate in OG, I am looking forward to see who will be 6th (as in 6th available spot for OG). Great also to read that Lithuania has a second dance team, just in case.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Watched a few of the SDs:

Coomes/Buckland - I loved their rhumba for the reasons someone (Vietgirl?) said - it's a cohesive dance and refreshing for me with the jarring music cuts so many other SDs have.

Muramoto/Reed - I'm so happy that they're getting their levels so far this season. I, too, have been a fan of this team, because of the presence and dance ability Kana brings, since their first competition together.

Min/Gamelin - Speaking of jarring music cuts...and the costumes don't fit the program to me either. I do like what I saw of their FD over the summer. I thought their K-pop SD last year was a lot of fun so they have a ton of goodwill from me.

It is confirmed that Denmark returned their spot

From ISU piece presenting Nebelhorn's first day:

"Originally five spots were available, but since Denmark returned their Ice Dance quota place, a sixth spot has opened up for the competitors at Nebelhorn Trophy"

http://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...fication-at-nebelhorn-trophy?templateParam=15

Sad to hear that it's official. They've never been my favorite, but they're really too good a team not to be at the Olympics.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Based on the Short Dance standings, eliminating all countries who have already earned 1 or more Olympic quota spots at the 2017 World Championships, here's how the race looks for Ice Dance spots. 6 spots are available after the return of Denmark's spot to the pool.

Great Britain
Japan
Germany
Lithuania
Finland
Slovakia
Belarus
Latvia
Hungary
Azerbaijan
Estonia
Australia
Sweden

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I correct myself. There is a Junior Lithuanian team: Guoste Damuleviciute / Deividas Kizala (17th at Junior Worlds 2017).

If R/A qualify a spot, D/K may try some senior competitions to try and achieve the minimum TES.

I would guess that it's very doable for Damuleviciute & Kizala to earn the senior Olympic minimum TES. The Olympic SD minimum is only 19. (And the SD is generally the tougher TES score to earn). Damuleviciute & Kizala had a TES over 28 at Junior Worlds last season. Scores can drop when you enter seniors, but that's a 9 point cushion just on the technical mark.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
yesterday, I've had only chance to re-watch Penny/Nicolas, Kavita/Joti and Kana/Chris

AMAZING to see Brits back on track after al they went through! And what style it is - they seem really in a great shape, focused, sharp, yet flowy and effortless. I have to say that their SD is already one of my faves this season - it's so nice to see a cohesive musical variation on Latin rhythms inside of one convention, but at he same time customized to Penny and Nick, their way of movement/expression. It takes really a smart brain and skilled hand to actually see the team before rhythms imposed for SD - Dean did phenomenal job for me in terms of creating SD having Latin referrence, but without being ciche/obvious for a team not very suiting 'typical Latin' music or dances. He managed to highlight their best qualities: connection, speed, an ability to do acrobatic transitions/moves in a very effortless, tasteful way. There is just something very alluring in the easy, continous flow of the dance, the way they interpret the music, but again - it's an effect of a great, customized choreography in which they obviously feel comfortable and confident. And this is how you are supposed to do lifts with multiple changes of positions - both looking confident in equal measure about their work AND work being done by the partner. One more thing that I noticed watching their SD is how amazing this dance is designed to show off the quality of which their bodies work together - the movement is so complimentary, her lines to his. Goodto have them back!

Kavita and Joti have probably so far my favourite music arrangement for SD - I love all 3 pieces separately and together they create a great vehicle in my opinion, a vibrant one. Love Kavita's dress - sexy cut, fringe, strong colour, Joti looked :love:. The dance definitely needs polishing, more refinement in steps, holds and more attack/confidence to pop out, especially from Kavita's side - she seemed too occupied by proper execution than making dance look easy as a whole. Saying that, there is a great material to build on I think - love non-touch step sequence to salsa rhythm, some lovely details here and there, same for samba section (just more flow in lift). On a side note, I totally envisioned this kind of SD for WeaPo...

Kana and Chris were fabulous - the SD suits them to the T., Kana performs the heck of it and they do not seem out of place with that aesthetic, again the choreography, music, whole package is greatly customized to the team, not other way around.