2017 CS US International Classic FD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic FD

andromache

Record Breaker
H/D's FD was the performance of the entire competition. Hands down. And I say this a fan of both Chen darlings.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
H/D's FD was the performance of the entire competition. Hands down. And I say this a fan of both Chen darlings.

Now that was a MAN and a WOMAN skating together.

They brought what no other US dance team can believably deliver: A program full of slow-burning sexual tension and passion.

I needed a cigarette after watching that.

I haven't seen the other top US teams, but they should consider themselves "On Notice."

bramweld

Record Breaker
I didn't like H/D as much as I thought I would. Something is missing, to me, it was a bit monotonous and heavy. It needs milage maybe, BUT in terms of skills and performance quality they are exceptional.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I didn't like H/D as much as I thought I would. Something is missing, to me, it was a bit monotonous and heavy. It needs milage maybe, BUT in terms of skills and performance quality they are exceptional.

It's because it is designed to the nth degree so they DON'T SCREW UP TECHNICALLY. In more ways than one, that's a program that is hedging its bets.

Ah well, early days. Maybe it will grow on me.

keasus

On the Ice
Hey Weak Ankles, I am already enjoying your posts and the season has only started! Regarding the H/D free dance, I am happy that Gadbois has not handed them another pile of your favorite flavor, Montreal Mush(R). This free dance at least is devoid of the Hallmark-card-worth sappiness that we usually see. It has some edge and tension to it, so I'm hopeful it will serve as a better vehicle for them than last season's snoozefest.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hubbel/Donohue's FD is great. Really enjoyed it. Aside from some dirty steps their form is also great for this time of the year. US fight for #1 this season will be so competitive it's crazy.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Finally caught up on FD (another big re-watching round for late person as I am) – and what a great event it was! I enjoyed probably all teams at some point, more or less.

I enoyed Carolane and Sean very much – I feel like this elegant, 'dapper' style of dance kind of suits them, I love the music, charming vibe of it and those brilliant choreo sequences of dance thrown in choreography to highlight musical accents. The program seemed a bit apprehensive and Carolane had some 'jumpy' moments, but as always – program will get a mileage, but it is a right vehicle for the team in my opinion.

Kana and Chris blew me away – this program fits them to the T! Love the styling, intricacy in little details of choreography, musicality of performance, the impression of purity and understated effort, quality put into it. She is really a star on ice, her expressive face, cleanless, crispness and movement with fluidity is just great. The program, the concept seem kind of simple, but there is a power and allure in that, especially presented in such convincing way. They truly seemed to live out that music and the theme, it feels authentic and real, not just pretty music chosen to do elements.

Laurence and Nikolai kind of surprised me by this choice and while I'm totally pro 'modern Flamenco/Spanish theme' concept, I am still not convinced to these lyric parts of the program...I totally see the program working without them. Shallow note time is as usual – Nikolai is just dreamy in that entrance to the whole dance, and the way he leads and focuses on Laurence is everything...I still can see them, their elegant way of movement in this FD: it's never overacted, overmoved or too busy. I love the styling, rotational lift looked great, as a whole it obviously still need some polish and crispness, but I already feel sad as probably we won't see this FD at Olympics...

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc with 'Liebenstraum' are just divine – if only would hit it every time or better even as NHK 2016...This performance was good, although too tentative for me in places and slower than usual, and this is the thing I fear the most – if there's some miss in SD, Kaitlin backs down and is even more hesitant...This program as a concept, choreography is really sublime and fitting them, but it really takes a full-on attack and confidence to make it as flowy and ethereal as it should be. Still – I live for twizzles with knee slide, spread eagles sequence, airy atmosphere and elegant movement of them.

And Madison and Zach – this single, loud 'WOW' at their ending pose was about right, what a performance of such program! They sure got packaged amazingly for the season, both dances are totally them, reflecting perfectly on their style of skating, expression and highlighling their smoothness, speed and sass they seemed to develop. The music – perfection and they seemed so into it for the whole time, choreography – worked so well with the music, translated it into movement, but not in painfully literal way, but in a very subtle way. The choreography seemed just a canvas to get their emotions on and colour it properly, it allows them to do the real dialogue, but just unspoken. Real kudos to their team for understanding how to balance technicalities, their qualities and performance together in something with character, bold and charismatic, with actual edge feel in it. Their step sequences are the very highlight for me, all moments in holds, the way they look so engaged into this very moment. Watching it, it felt like a movie clip, a great piece of a story, so polished, sophisticated and just ready to amaze. And I just LOVE their attire, Madison looked smoking hot, that dress has to stay to slay!!! I am happy to see those top US teams being so different, but each equally valuable and special, it's making up for a great fight.