2017 CS US International Classic Mens FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic Mens FS

A.H.Black

Final Flight
What was the music choice for Nathan's LP?

Mao's Last Dancer - an Australian film made in 2009. The heavy part in the middle is Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (I think).

Just got home from the competition. One of the funnest nights of skating I've had outside of Nationals. It's so great to be in an audience where everyone is there because they know and love skating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No Reynolds got the invite outright. Not a host spot.

no no... i am talking about last year when he had a home spot for skate canada... but as he had been out of competing for a while, only ONE GP... after getting a bronze medal, many hoped he would get an invite in any of the other GPs so he may qualify for GPF... however, some countries didn't both using all their spots..

that's what i am referring to. (this year he got 2 spots based on his placement at worlds as #9th)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mao's Last Dancer - an Australian film made in 2009. The heavy part in the middle is Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (I think).

Just got home from the competition. One of the funnest nights of skating I've had outside of Nationals. It's so great to be in an audience where everyone is there because they know and love skating.

i confirm it's rite of spring... it's the augurs of springs/dance of the young girls...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Strongly disagree with this comment re Nam going to 2017 Worlds in Liam's place.

I was referring to 2016 Worlds. Liam had earned a spot to Worlds. However, based on his international record and his own condition at the time, together with the public sentiment, it would be extremely difficult for him to perform well under the intense pressure. Passing the responsibility to Nam, he was a good sport if Nam did well, and nobody could blame him if Nam did badly, which Nam did.

Canada has only 2 spots for the 2018 Olympics and Worlds. Patrick will be going and the second spot is open. Liam has a chance as do several other Canadian Men. If Liam keeps up the excellence he exhibited at this event and even progresses through the season, he himself as well as the Canadian public will have much confidence in him if he does earn a spot to both of these major events.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Liam's music cut is great, except for the ending. It artificially tries to go for a "big finish" there all of the sudden.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Watched Nathan's FS. Am stunned. This is a great, great vehicle for him. Talk about finding a signature program, and here it is. I have watched the movie it is based on, and while I think some themes are problematic, the soundtrack is not one of them. I hope Nathan will change costume though. There are quite a few possibilities! I think with two programs as good as this and the phenomenal tech he will be the man to beat this season. I sense a power shift coming.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yaroslav's victory dance after his skate was adorable :luv17: great to see this side of him cause he usually looked very serious and introverted, also he seems to have good relationship with Tammy, its great to see him relaxed, hopefully we will see him at Olympics :yahoo:

Nathan's programs this season is just spot on! i love both of them and showcases his talent, you can tell 4Lo is new jump for him by looking at his long preparation but nevertheless it was great, 1st skater to land 5 different quads in competitions :eeking:
there will be so many heartbreaks for me this season with having so many favourites but this also means more chance of my favourites winning medals :dbana: #problemsofafigureskatingfan :biggrin:
i still have a lot to catch up on and Lombardia will start in less than an hour :dbana:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Still trying to find videos of the men's FS but watched Nathan's and love the music choice, and the steps and choreographic sequence looked great! Combined with his SP, these are so much better choices for him this season. His layout is going to be suffering a lot of YOLO'ing through the season, I suspect, so there'll need to be some work on the inbetweens, but so far my first impression is very positive. Also, it's so nice to find a music cut that combines different musical themes actually seamlessly after some of the poor ones I've heard this season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Watched Nathan's FS. Am stunned. This is a great, great vehicle for him. Talk about finding a signature program, and here it is. I have watched the movie it is based on, and while I think some themes are problematic, the soundtrack is not one of them. I hope Nathan will change costume though. There are quite a few possibilities! I think with two programs as good as this and the phenomenal tech he will be the man to beat this season. I sense a power shift coming.

Totally agree, just watched it. It has a level of sophistication that is almost antithesis of last year's FS. I am astonished of the development.

Quite honestly, this is a strong understated elegant and confident program that I'd probably prefer over repeat programs. But Orser apparently said they are going to make some improvements on the choreography on their repeat programs, so I guess we will see.

Mens are very exciting and unpredictable right now, the standards are unbelievable and given how Olympics don't seem to favour repeat champions, we may be in for a surprise. I want to see how Boyang improve this year... super curious.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Totally agree, just watched it. It has a level of sophistication that is almost antithesis of last year's FS. I am astonished of the development.

Quite honestly, this is a strong understated elegant and confident program that I'd probably prefer over repeat programs. But Orser apparently said they are going to make some improvements on the choreography on their repeat programs, so I guess we will see.

Mens are very exciting and unpredictable right now, the standards are unbelievable and given how Olympics don't seem to favour repeat champions, we may be in for a surprise. I want to see how Boyang improve this year... super curious.

I have felt since some point in the last season that Nathan will be the one with the Gold in the end, but doubted as I disliked his programs so much last year. I found the music horrible and the interpretation lacking. That Nathan is not repeating is a huge advantage and these programs are a big factor, in comparison to the 'been there done that' motto. The LP is dramatic, the music builts - this is a good choice for the Olympic moment.

katymay

Medalist
When Nathan skates, I don't even remember the costume.. His programs, and especially the intricate choreography are outstanding. Nathan is who I wait to see, I am literally at the edge of my seat every time he takes the ice. But, I love quads. I love how he soars and seems to hang over the ice.
I would love to see Aaron take the 3'd spot, but I hope he upgrades his program, I found the choreography lacking. (And no, I am sick to death of his music, I wish he could have found something a bit more interesting)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He had a history of bombing at international events and asked to be left off the Worlds team, passing the responsibility of getting 3 Olympic spots for Canada to Nam and of course Patrick. He might have bowed to the popular opinion of the time but got a lot of goodwill with that. He couldn't lose however Nam would do. Of course Canada then ended up with only 2 spots any way.

I was referring to 2016 Worlds. ...

In my head, I knew that you were referring to 2016 Worlds, but I wrote 2017 by mistake in my previous post.
What I should have written is: "Strongly disagree with this comment re Nam going to 2016 Worlds in Liam's place."

Sorry for my garbling of the year -- which I chalk up in part to your incorrect words about "passing the responsibility of getting 3 Olympic spots for Canada to Nam and of course Patrick."
2016 Worlds did not determine the number of Olympic spots for Canada.

This thread is not the place to re-debate what happened re Liam and 2016 Worlds. But I strongly disagree that Liam "couldn't lose however Nam would do."
(I do not agree with your reasoning for that claim, although I am clear on what your reasoning is.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
no no... i am talking about last year when he had a home spot for skate canada... but as he had been out of competing for a while, only ONE GP... after getting a bronze medal, many hoped he would get an invite in any of the other GPs so he may qualify for GPF... however, some countries didn't both using all their spots..

that's what i am referring to. (this year he got 2 spots based on his placement at worlds as #9th)

I guess I'm confused cause you mentioned Japan...and they did use all their spots. I thought you referring to Kevin being at NHK Trophy -- and both times he was invited, it wasn't a host pick.

In any case, my only point is in a county like the US where there's a lot of men in their field, I don't see them giving it away.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I guess I'm confused cause you mentioned Japan...and they did use all their spots. I thought you referring to Kevin being at NHK Trophy -- and both times he was invited, it wasn't a host pick.

In any case, my only point is in a county like the US where there's a lot of men in their field, I don't see them giving it away.

what i was talking about is that countries, including japan, didn't use all their spots many a times..... when other skaters would have been happy to have them after medaling in one event... it happened to a canadian lady as well.. (i think that was the japan unused spot that cause ire here)... Kevin is lucky this year as he placed high enough and will be going to two events. YAY!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was referring to 2016 Worlds. Liam had earned a spot to Worlds. However, based on his international record and his own condition at the time, together with the public sentiment, it would be extremely difficult for him to perform well under the intense pressure. Passing the responsibility to Nam, he was a good sport if Nam did well, and nobody could blame him if Nam did badly, which Nam did.

Canada has only 2 spots for the 2018 Olympics and Worlds. Patrick will be going and the second spot is open. Liam has a chance as do several other Canadian Men. If Liam keeps up the excellence he exhibited at this event and even progresses through the season, he himself as well as the Canadian public will have much confidence in him if he does earn a spot to both of these major events.

I have tried to explain that many times, including in 2016 when this happened... but don't bother... nobody wants to hear the truth... ;)

i am just so happy that Liam skated well this event... and still reserve a bit of excitement as there were 3 falls over the course of two programs... and that wouldn't be enough in most scenarios to get to the games... so go Liam, get things even better!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
what i was talking about is that countries, including japan, didn't use all their spots many a times..... when other skaters would have been happy to have them after medaling in one event... it happened to a canadian lady as well.. (i think that was the japan unused spot that cause ire here)... Kevin is lucky this year as he placed high enough and will be going to two events. YAY!

Oh you mean overall spots. Okay, I get it now. I was talking about what TontoK was pushing -- that USFS gives up a host spot it would give to a US man (each host country can give 3 spots to their own) to another country.

That's far different than opting not to refill a spot after someone WDs (which was the scenario it K. Osmond was in a few years back. I don't know of any situation where a country, in the initial selection process, to not fill of their 12 entries.

To keep it on topic, Liam Firus isn't too far down the SB list. He still has a shot at getting one if someone WDs...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have tried to explain that many times, including in 2016 when this happened... but don't bother... nobody wants to hear the truth... ;)

i am just so happy that Liam skated well this event... and still reserve a bit of excitement as there were 3 falls over the course of two programs... and that wouldn't be enough in most scenarios to get to the games... so go Liam, get things even better!

Many Canadians regarded Worlds 2016 as very important as it would determine the number of spots for 2017 which would in turn decide for the Olympic entries.

Canada got used to 3 spots at Worlds and the Olympics because Patrick could usually cinch them single handedly. But things have changed since his sabbatical and the importance of the second Men has increased. As well, the the field in Canada has deepened, making the competition for the second Men more intense and unpredictable. Liam has just staked his candidacy as serious.