2017 GP Cup of China Short Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
This twizzles did not get perfect score https://youtu.be/aREBn2rFtN4?t=135, sorry but I don´t see why P/C got perfect score and not Maia and Alex.

The synchro issues are tiny tiny, but against B/S in CoR I wouldn't expect perfect scores on twizzles. But it gives a reason for judges to nitpick since Ice dance is all about that.
However, I think they might get that 8.40 in America. Well if you go with the scores' logic meaning the scoring is about how you did vs this other team, they should easily be class of the field, even with C/L (who have good twizzles too by the way).

AliAle

On the Ice
This twizzles did not get perfect score https://youtu.be/aREBn2rFtN4?t=135, sorry but I don´t see why P/C got perfect score and not Maia and Alex.

My first guess would be the second set, it's slower and looks a bit labored. I would've given them +3 on the awesomeness of the first set though, but hey, I'm not a judge. My second guess is they were in direct competition with B/S, on the Russian's home turf, there's no way a faction of the judges were not cherry-picking to have them in 2nd.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link to the Shibs twizzles again. Love the 8-rotation perfect timing of those Twizzles. I do think the second set is labored compared to the Shibs' own standard, and maybe they could a more character-driven position on the second set. I think for teams like the Shibs, they can't leave any door open to not get GOEs. Some teams have a lot more leeway in getting away with less ice coverage, unison issues, rocky (but not rocky enough to lose a level) twizzles.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
some bits about Chock/Bates, since this was an absolute premiere...

Have to say that it really felt like debut of te dance execution-wise - they seemed surprisingly slow for their standards and too much being on borderline off-rhythm. The whole performance needs to be more paced and spiced up somehow, maybe by sharper movement, a contrast of aforesaid by differenciating expression throughout rhumba and quicker parts. I feel that once speed and confidence in partnerings/elements come, the dance will sparkle like it was designed to do.

Performance-wise, I am positively surprised by Evan - great attitude, support and costume, he truly seemed to enjoy the moment, Madison was her usual diva performer, but agree with lots of You - the costume, visual aspect, how it moved was very distrracting; it made a dissonant impression, especially the costume being 'patched' with two different parts, I'd prefer rather one convention/style (all in fringe/all sleek), but with some play on cutouts/shade gradient of green, or to place the fringe just on the bottom, not on the bodice. Myself, I totally see Madison rocking out shorther number, with sparkly black top with open back/some straps there, going with skirt made of fringe in different shades of sparkly green (maybe with high-low effect, shorter in the front, longer on the bottom), paired maybe with some arm cuffs/bracelets- it would give more polish and sleek outlook to the dance.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

Not the best ice coverage. I mean it is good in general because they have adittional set of twizzles, but theirs singular twizzle is not traveling that much comparing to others. Also, its in one direction - straight, while some others do it half-circular, which is harder.

rosy14

Final Flight
Gosh, where is this "dancing on the beach in Spain" coming from? Keep saying it doesn't make P/C's SD any more Latin. I feels fans are so desperate that they can't face the fact. P/C's SD has no Latin flavor. No amount of added beats can turn those songs into proper Latin music.

But judges ADORE them non the less.

Purv

Match Penalty
But judges ADORE them non the less.

Exactly. Judges doesnt seem to care ;)

No one is desperate. Most of sd this season have no typical latin flavor. Whats the big deal here? Their short is sexy, its makes me smile and happy.

Bcash

Final Flight
Yeah, the boy wave his body a couple of times, and fan girls/boys start drooling. So Latin. Isn't that what happens here?

And Scott flails his arms and raises his eyebrow at the judges and fan girls/boys start saying the most Latin ever.
V/M's rock+street dance program isn't anymore "latin" than this.
Marie-France did her research and decided to take what's most "in" in ballroom dancing lately and put it to use on these two teams.

The only classic, but not stale, Latin program this year is Hubbell/Donohue's.

Bcash

Final Flight
This, it will be a matter of taste in the end (and obviously levels). V/M look sharper, P/C look like they're more fun/playful. I personally enjoy P/C more, but I never liked the ballroom Latin aesthetic, so that explains why V/M leave me a bit cold.

I think they both chose the best vehicles, respectively.
I like P/C's youthful aesthetic in this program a lot too. Love the shoulder-thing they did before going into the pattern.
I wouldn't say V/M's is more ballroom. I saw a lot of street dance flashy upper body movements, which I think they incorporated after working with their young dance guy in Montreal. It's not necessarily the most stylistically integral thing to do, but surely very eye-catching.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Gosh, where is this "dancing on the beach in Spain" coming from? Keep saying it doesn't make P/C's SD any more Latin. I feels fans are so desperate that they can't face the fact. P/C's SD has no Latin flavor. No amount of added beats can turn those songs into proper Latin music.

Ice dance competition is based on the rules defined by the ISU and these rules are about samba and rumba rhythms and nothing else!
Samba and rumba rhythms inspired so many composers in the worlds leading to different music flavours and styles.
Diversity is wealth, especially thinking of music and arts in general.

Believe me, none of the fans or people who know a little bit Gabriella and Guillaume expected them to dance on the very typical latin music associated to samba and rumba rhythms! No one.... Never ever.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Not the best ice coverage. I mean it is good in general because they have adittional set of twizzles, but theirs singular twizzle is not traveling that much comparing to others. Also, its in one direction - straight, while some others do it half-circular, which is harder.

I’ve read this before so I often pay attention to other teams’ twizzles to see if they cover more ice and I don’t think they do. The only one I’ve seen that covered a lot of ice compared to the Shibs was Ilinykh/Zhignanshin but that was only true for their first set. The other two lost considerable amount of distance (especially the third one). The Shibs twizzles seem more equal in having all three cover ice. I do agree that the Shibs’ leg line on the first set could be at a higher angle compared to say Gilles/Poirier. Anyway, I appreciate the Shibs twizzles because their near rink coverage set has minimal steps, hops, and other rebalancing transitions to help a team increase ice coverage. It’s just mostly twizzles that they do to get them across that ice. Their FD twizzles especially cover a lot of ice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I think the RC judges were just stingy with GOE compared to the other GPs. I think we won't truly know how they compare until they're competing face to face.

So far I've only watched Chock and Bates because I was eager to see their debut. I like the feel that they're going for -- jungle Latin, as Madison called it -- but I don't think they're there yet. The performance seem to kind of go in -and-out. Also, I think because the speed wasn't there, you could see how choppy their skating was, especially Madi (though she's improved greatly from 2012, when they were a new team and did Latin) -- but for some reason COC folks love putting mics near the ice so you could also hear how noisy their blades were -- another sign of choppy edges. The lift looked great, as they usually do.

I'm sure they will improve and grow with the program, but it's very much a work-in-progress right now.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
There is the USFS handbook that specifically outlined what genres were not allowed in this year’s SD (Spanish flamenco/hip hop/reggae/etc. though saying reggaeton was allowed). The ISU does list some genres of music they were thinking about for the SD, naming bachata, samba, cha cha, rhumba, salsa, etc. I’m still surprised Hawayek/Baker using Sean Paul made it out of Champs Camp since his dance hall music is closer to reggae than any other Latin rhythm.

icetigger

On the Ice
There is the USFS handbook that specifically outlined what genres were not allowed in this year’s SD (Spanish flamenco/hip hop/reggae/etc. though saying reggaeton was allowed). The ISU does list some genres of music they were thinking about for the SD, naming bachata, samba, cha cha, rhumba, salsa, etc. I’m still surprised Hawayek/Baker using Sean Paul made it out of Champs Camp since his dance hall music is closer to reggae than any other Latin rhythm.

Get Busy isn't close to a reggae rhythm, though. It's a very complex rhythm.........that actually has its roots in Punjabi music http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/10/diwali-loop-history

This is (from what I can find out) it's original version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMASjABxHWE

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Get Busy isn't close to a reggae rhythm, though. It's a very complex rhythm.........that actually has its roots in Punjabi music http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/10/diwali-loop-history

This is (from what I can find out) it's original version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMASjABxHWE

Diwali riddim and Jamaican dancehall has a complex background, but reggae is a big influence for the genre. Sean Paul’s lyrical style is a descendant of reggae. Either way, it’s not Latin and since reggae is singled out as a rhythm not to be used, I thought they may be running the risk of getting a deduction. But it’s clear judges don’t care.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And they typically get it when the speed is there (which is not always the case). P/C were perfectly in sync, had great speed and very good ice coverage, with no balance issues, why shouldn't they get +3 :rolleye:?

The last set she was slightly ahead of him. Not glaringly so, but a picky judge could have given it a +2. The Shibs execute theirs the best - plus they turn it into a highlight, and not just an element.

Of course it is possible for multiple teams to be capable of perfect elements. And it's not like other teams have gotten perfect twizzle scores in spite of unison issues (I've seen it in P/C, V/M).

Sorry, but I am really not a fan of P/C's SD. The elements are superb, but the vibe of the dance just isn't right for me. Maybe it's because of the Ed Sheeran medley not always being in character of the dance (especially the Thinking Out Loud part), and the weird cut to Shape of You at the end (it's like they needed to add more seconds just to make time).

And I'm all for Guillaume's sexiness, but he needs to return that club shirt back to Adam, asap. :laugh:

bixby

Final Flight
I think Chock and Bates costumes doesn't help in the overall presentation. So far this team and the Shibs didn't blow us away with their programs "yet". But so impressed by Hubbell and Donohue's short and long this season and can't wait to see it again.

Barb

Record Breaker
Synchronization? judges notice that? in FD worlds 2017 the Shibs were more sync than P/C in the twizzles, and P/C still got higher score, Shibs twizzles in 4cc fd were perfect but again they don´t get perfect score, looking to P/C scores anyone would imagine that their twizzles are out of this world . P/C twizzles are nothing spectacular, and the ice coverage of Maia and Alex is doing twizzles, not doing steps between twizzles.

Anyway, I just hope that one day Maia and Alex will be able to make perfect twizzles, the standard of perfection that are those of P/C :sarcasm: .

I also think that Madison and Evan´s lift deserved a higher score than the P / C lift, but of course it was the other way around.