2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Tammy and Tom (and Drew): what are you doing with Vincent?

He can land one quad lutz, or one quad flip but both is incredibly risky and his skating isn't anything great to cover all these costly mistakes.

Also please, Vincent and Alexander change the program ASAP: apparently someone has missed the memo that this is the Olympic season.

Honestly I feel for Denis here, he had such a lovely skate save for the fall and he really wasn't rewarded for it.

He has to skate clean and bring back good quality jumping elements, otherwise his PCS won't increase, that's the message.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Could you imagine no japanese skater in the GPF? I'm worried for Shoma. Wakaba's place seems to be in peril. Urgh.

I really have a hard time imagining a free tomorow that throws Shoma out of medal contention.... but it is figure skating after all.

The precarity of Wakaba's spot on the other hand is just highway robbery. She's had some of the most solid skates out of any of the ladies, she deserves her spot 100%.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No wriggle room. Never any wriggle room. Others can fall on their backsides and get 80+, even high 80s, but not him, never him.

Literally the only saving grace of this short program is that Max is now 2-0 over Zhou.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Super lenient tech panel here. Only < calls for Zhou on the 4Lz and the 4F. the 4Lz was probably only < but hte flip was pretty bad. And he got away with no call on the 3A :disapp:

Only a < on the 4F for Uno, too.

I'm still super pissed.

Me too, I think they should get <<<<< and a slap from every judge. And Shoma so overscored, omg, only FOURTEEN points behind Javier. Should be 30. Toyota money.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Tammy and Tom (and Drew): what are you doing with Vincent?

He can land one quad lutz, or one quad flip but both is incredibly risky and his skating isn't anything great to cover all these costly mistakes.

Also please, Vincent and Alexander change the program ASAP: apparently someone has missed the memo that this is the Olympic season.

He has to skate clean and bring back good quality jumping elements, otherwise his PCS won't increase, that's the message.

It is the wrong message.

PCS should matter, especially those who have clearly worked hard to able to demonstrated great PCS performances, better than the rest of the field..

You have multiple crazy PCS for the ladies for the likes of Evegenia and Carolina despite obvious technical flaws, but you treat someone like Denis so completely different. That is inconsistent and poor judging standard. People should call ISU up on it. Either one should come down, or the other need to go up.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I really have a hard time imagining a free tomorow that throws Shoma out of medal contention.... but it is figure skating after all.

The precarity of Wakaba's spot on the other hand is just highway robbery. She's had some of the most solid skates out of any of the ladies, she deserves her spot 100%.

The problem is that Shoma seemed weak and utterly exhausted after his SP. His LP is actually the program that makes him lose his breath. When he's on, it's already hard for him. In this condition? Idk. I pray and hope, but idk. Javier was third with a 90 something score at CoC and you saw what happened there.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Can someone explain those +2s for Misha's jumps?

3A with no speed, and it is big but short.

3ltz+3T, the 3T is just about fully rotated. Not much flow, it looks very laboured.

For both elements very basic skating in and out, no difficult transitions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can someone explain those +2s for Misha's jumps?

3A with no speed, and it is big but short.

3ltz+3T, the 3T is just about fully rotated. Not much flow, it looks very laboured.

For both elements very basic skating in and out, no difficult transitions.

Reputation. Ge is supposed to be this super-beautiful-arteeste so up go the GOEs.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too, I think they should get <<<<< and a slap from every judge. And Shoma so overscored, omg, only FOURTEEN points behind Javier. Should be 30. Toyota money.

Maybe he should have rented the rink for two weeks instead of one! :noshake:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
RE: Javi's GP chances. He will have 20 points if he wins here.

Shoma probably won't be lower than second here so he'll have 28 points and get in. Kolyada has 26 and has all-but qualified. Chen and Voronov both have 15 from their wins. They're almost certainly in the final.

That leaves two spots. Jason Brown already has 22 points, so he'd qualify for the GPF before Javi would. Other skaters who will likely/could match or top 20:

- Samarin (if he holds 3rd here he has 22)
- Jin (can place as low as 5th at SA and still have at least 20)
- Rippon (can place as low as 5th at SA and still have at least 20)
- Bychenko (if he moves up to 4th here he'd have 20)

If Javi wins this event, he'd win the tiebreak over anyone else with 20 points. But I don't think he'll make it all the same.

evasorange

Final Flight
I haven't understood Shomas scores for awhile now. They seem much too high for what he does out on the ice imo. He's obviously not bad and I enjoy some moments of his programs but as a whole I find them to be stuffy and slow. Poor Max. He really does have to be near perfect to get high scores and I really think he'll get beat by a quadless but clean Jason at us nationals if he doesn't perform his quads flawlessly.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is that Shoma seemed weak and utterly exhausted after his SP. His LP is actually the program that makes him lose his breath. When he's on, it's already hard for him. In this condition? Idk. I pray and hope, but idk. Javier was third with a 90 something score at CoC and you saw what happened there.

He's in the same position as a few others are - where if he can't practice, how does he build his stamina. How does he work on his jumps with an injured ankle. Maybe he'd be better placing 5th and spending a lot of time icing his ankle 'til Nats? But who can tell. Everybody's different.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Is Shoma ill? He had kind of a glazed expression on his face that makes me wonder. Really hope he’s okay for tomorrow!

I was so glad to see Javi back on form today - the expression of relief and happiness was wonderful.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Is Shoma ill? He had kind of a glazed expression on his face that makes me wonder. Really hope he’s okay for tomorrow!

I was so glad to see Javi back on form today - the expression of relief and happiness was wonderful.

He's coming back from the flu, he got it right after Skate Canada and was in bed for 4 days with high fever and no training. And there are rumours of an ankle injury that's been worrying us since we've first heard about it in summer. It still bothers him probably.

rosy14

Final Flight

Shoma got the flu coming back from Canada. He lost weight AND training time.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'd say rewatching Samarin's SP, it's better than i thought.

the 4ltz i don't know if it is really under. (surely prerotated)

The steps on the 4T are slightly better than Skate Canada: they aren't difficult by any means, but at least he has more speed going in, shorter entry and there is a turn, judges still gave him 0 or +1.