2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Short Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Short Dance

matcha

Medalist
Stepanova/Butkin getting higher PCS than Gilles/Poirier is funniest comedy of the year so far.

Didn't watch B/S because I know I can't be impartial (I dislike Boborova as a dancer so much).

Great score for the Shibs in their first outing of the season. Maia is so stiff in her upper body, though. She should imitate inflatable balloon men for fun. Also, please get a new rotational :yawn: But those first set of twizzles with the music 🔥🔥🔥

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
hehe.. as usual WeakAnkles does not hold back. What about waffles with salsa? Tim Hortons now sells a buffalo wing inspired latte.

who have we not seen yet? Chock and Bates, right? I have a feeling Madison can bring latin flare but Evan? um... um... *cough* no comment.

Now 'fess up...you'd be disappointed if I did!

I should do Mom critiques:

"I thought they were all very nice."

"Everyone deserves a medal for trying very hard!"

"Didn't they all look lovely?"

"My goodness, it must be very hard to dance on skates!"

"Why aren't they jumping?"

"I don't understand the scores at all, but I'm sure the judges know what they're doing."

;)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm still loving that 8-count on the Shibs' first set of twizzles. They actually do 8 revolutions to the timing of the count and then do a bit extra on the exit before they go into their second set of twizzles.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I liked but not loved the shibsibs, b/s and g/p who I believe were underscored. GP are for some reason being dumped. I fear that Coomes and Buckland will also surpass them which is not deserved. And they are barely ahead of the Italians 0 and if anything I felt GP should be receiving scores that would challenge the top Italian team. I like Maia and Kat's dresses but Alex - what the heck? I am afraid the latin beat doesn't really suit the Shibsibs. Technically they are supreme and those twizzles. wow.

evasorange

Final Flight
well... i think piper and paul deserved to place higher....

there... i said it.

i agree! I actually don't usually pay too close attention to ice dance(it's Olympic year so i thought why not start) so I don't know a whole lot about scoring and how it works but this team has really caught my eye! they bring a really sophisticated fun vibe that I don't get from too many other teams. Hopefully they can rise in the standings in the free

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I liked but not loved the shibsibs, b/s and g/p who I believe were underscored. GP are for some reason being dumped. I fear that Coomes and Buckland will also surpass them which is not deserved. And they are barely ahead of the Italians 0 and if anything I felt GP should be receiving scores that would challenge the top Italian team. I like Maia and Kat's dresses but Alex - what the heck? I am afraid the latin beat doesn't really suit the Shibsibs. Technically they are supreme and those twizzles. wow.

GP are not being dumped. It wasn't a sharp performance and this is Rostelecom, The Heart Of Home Cooking.

Mrs P, no it was a good outing for the Shibs, especially for a season debut. And the first set of twizzles is one of the few Pure Delights of any of the SDs this season. I just tend to set the mental bar higher for them. It's just a Perfectly Serviceable Short Dance and I think they're capable of So Much More.

matcha

Medalist
I just tend to set the mental bar higher for them. It's just a Perfectly Serviceable Short Dance and I think they're capable of So Much More.
Same here. I know I focused more on the negative that what they did extremely well, but that's just because I want the best for them and for their detractors to suck it.

Barb

Record Breaker
I'm still loving that 8-count on the Shibs' first set of twizzles. They actually do 8 revolutions to the timing of the count and then do a bit extra on the exit before they go into their second set of twizzles.

That was incredible and putting the twizzles right in that part of the music is super risky. I hope the risk is worth it, it seems to me that some judges are quite exigent with Maia and Alex because they already take their difficult twizzles for granted.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
That was incredible and putting the twizzles right in that part of the music is super risky. I hope the risk is worth it, it seems to me that some judges are quite exigent with Maia and Alex because they already take their difficult twizzles for granted.

I used to like the changing direction and transitions between sets in the twizzles when they first came out, but after like two seasons of it, I can see that a lot of teams are using to re-balance themselves and/or to get back into unison and start the second or third set as if they're getting into the first set. I wonder about the difficulty. I know some of the transitions in-between may be hard but there's also an advantage there as well. I like seeing difficult entrances into twizzles and some of the transitions are short in-between and the teams get right into the second or third set, so those are ok, but there are others that make me wonder.

Barb

Record Breaker
Incredible that Alex was able to get a shirt that matches the color of his skin, while there are so many girls struggling to find the right color of tights :laugh:

slider11

Medalist
I don't think you'd find much disagreement there. They should be in third at least.

Agreed that Piper and Paul should be third. I love Piper's green/blue/gold dress - such a nice distinction from all the red and black. Let's see if Piper and Paul are more properly scored in the FD.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Now 'fess up...you'd be disappointed if I did!

I should do Mom critiques:

"I thought they were all very nice."

"Everyone deserves a medal for trying very hard!"

"Didn't they all look lovely?"

"My goodness, it must be very hard to dance on skates!"

;)
Nah.. I like a lot of sass in the comments. I can be a bit of a soft ball in my comments. I try to find some good, somewhere.. except with Music and Costuming. They are such easy fixes most of the time. No reason to go on the ice looking silly or dowdy and skating to terrible music badly cut.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nah.. I like a lot of sass in the comments. I can be a bit of a soft ball in my comments. I try to find some good, somewhere.. except with Music and Costuming. They are such easy fixes most of the time. No reason to go on the ice looking silly or dowdy and skating to terrible music badly cut.

I'm all for sass! And I added two more Mom comments to the OP. ')

I actually miss the days of Pure Dance Costume Tacky Horror! But then I do like my camp...

moon

On the Ice
I don't think G/P were undermarked. I don't see their program components being more than 8.5 in any category yet. I do agree however that S/B were over marked and should not be receiving more than 8.5 as well. Maybe Bukin but not Stepanova

Sackie

Medalist
G/P have been on a downward slide the last couple of years and it looks like it will continue this year as well. Last year they should have made the GP final but just missed it - this year they won't even be close with a 4th place finish. Yes I know the even is not over yet but I think the writing is on the wall that they would need S/B to have a major error for them to move up! And they won't have much better luck at their next GP event either.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Incredible that Alex was able to get a shirt that matches the color of his skin, while there are so many girls struggling to find the right color of tights :laugh:

Speaking of Alex...He has really improved. He's always been solid and technically strong but, he was really into this program and I hope the Shibs will be just as good in the Free Dance. They're a bit like Nathan in this event. Even if they don't hold onto the lead, they've made a statement that they are in the hunt and that's great!!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
The PCS scores for Bobrova/Soloviev are.... alarming. Not surprised given they're a Russian team at Rostelecom, but I didn't get that much Latin sizzle from their short dance. It was a technically-driven program with sloppy, windmilling arms. Low 9s in PCS? What a joke.