2017 GP Skate America Pairs SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Pairs SP

slider11

Medalist
I'm disappointed with the announcers of Skate America. They should have those names pronounced perfectly. It's a holdiay weekend in the US but no excuse for less than excellence in your job! Ask the federation and practice!

WGloria

Rinkside
It's a shame there standards are so low with pronunciation. I thought there were certain "qualifying" standards that had to be achieved to announce at an event like a Grand prix :confused:

auser

Record Breaker
Hmmm, Siri is telling me it’s a 6.5 hour drive from my house to Lake Placid... I have no plans tomorrow, I should try to con my man-friend into going on a last minute road trip. :devil:

I’m a synchro person, after all, and synchro people are the epitome of a polite, muted audience’s worst nightmare. Air horns and cowbells and cheerleader style cheers ought to liven the place up!
While enjoying the privilege of being virtually Canadian online, if you could direct me to where I could watch synchro live in Southern California I would be there with horns, cheers and bells on :)

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
GPF FINAL BY NOW

1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN 30
2 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV 30
3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD 30
4 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV 26
5 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG 26
6 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES 26

If Aljona scores bigger than 140 in FS and/or come 1st/2nd - that wil kick out Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While enjoying the privilege of being virtually Canadian online, if you could direct me to where I could watch synchro live in Southern California I would be there with horns, cheers and bells on :)

Hmmm, I’ll have to look into that for ya and see if there are any competitions in your area this season. :yes:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my two cents :

considering that very few pairs land good SBS jumps... I'd like to see less negative GOE for D/R's lutzes... they always get dinged on it, yes I admit that wasn't one of their best showing, but other couples can't land their 3toes properly and still get positive GOE...

end of rant

bobbob

Medalist
GPF FINAL BY NOW

1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN 30
2 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV 30
3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD 30
4 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV 26
5 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG 26
6 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES 26

If Aljona scores bigger than 140 in FS and/or come 1st/2nd - that wil kick out Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES.

Yu/Zhang are by no means above James/Cipres...unless they come in 2nd chances are they will be the ones kicked out, not James/Cipres. It any case, it will be a tight race between the three teams...Yu/Zhang need one of D/R and S/M to not skate as well as them, basically...

bobbob

Medalist
my two cents :

considering that very few pairs land good SBS jumps... I'd like to see less negative GOE for D/R's lutzes... they always get dinged on it, yes I admit that wasn't one of their best showing, but other couples can't land their 3toes properly and still get positive GOE...

end of rant

Eric's lutz was borderline under-rotated though (watch the slo-mo), if it was a singles event he probably would have gotten dinged on that. I notice they never get dinged on UR even though their lutz is often under (it can be Meagan too). Perhaps that is why their GOE is lower than what you may expect...

QuadThrow

Medalist
Bruno said he had some back problems which handicap him at the salchow and during the spin.... The salchow should have usually been no problem.

This pair has a really bad travelling calender

GP Canada
GP America
GPF Japan
Nationals Germany
Euros Moscow
Olympics Korea

This means sitting for hours in the plane what is defintily not good for his back.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Eric's lutz was borderline under-rotated though (watch the slo-mo), if it was a singles event he probably would have gotten dinged on that. I notice they never get dinged on UR even though their lutz is often under (it can be Meagan too). Perhaps that is why their GOE is lower than what you may expect...

yes.. this one wasn't great... but i am talking in general.. they have good timing, relatively good distance.. anyways... it's so much harder to do lutzes than toes yet in the end, it makes less difference than losing levels on the spins...

in any case, it's amazing that past 30, both can do triple lutzes in competition, week in week out, especially for a tall guy like Eric.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bruno said he had some back problems which handicap him at the salchow and during the spin.... The salchow should have usually been no problem.

This pair has a really bad travelling calender

GP Canada
GP America
GPF Japan
Nationals Germany
Euros Moscow
Olympics Korea

This means sitting for hours in the plane what is defintily not good for his back.

well not to jinx them, but right now, they wouldn't go to japan if it stays like that. I seriously doubt that.

For me, what i was happy to see is that they put the 3lutz throw int he SP and it was a great one. Their twist looked great too... so did the one handed lift. The step sequence was not good for Bruno.

Bruno had jump errors in Canada too.. was he already injured then? or is this a new injury?

bobbob

Medalist
Overall, I found the scoring fair if a tad harsh across the board. I know D/R and S/M were probably underwhelmed with their scores...I think S/M should have a higher PCS boost but that's what a fall will do to you. D/R skated well, but they need to realize that they probably won't be getting PCS in the same league as S/M in the free skate unless S/M really mess up...D/R's free skate program is just too sloppy, even if the elements are perfectly executed. I thought artistically, they weren't as good as they were in Canada, not as sharp, though the SBS was better obviously. S/M need to get their act together, Bruno has been missing far too many SBS jumps though it looks like Aliona is improving on the throws. Y/Z need a push to make the final--they have to finish second, so they need to skate well and one of D/R and S/M need to make mistakes. They were great today though, I wouldn't say they are 2-3 points worse artistically than D/R or even S/M, they just have a different style, maybe less expressive.

QuadThrow

Medalist
well not to jinx them, but right now, they wouldn't go to japan if it stays like that. I seriously doubt that.

For me, what i was happy to see is that they put the 3lutz throw int he SP and it was a great one. Their twist looked great too... so did the one handed lift. The step sequence was not good for Bruno.

Bruno had jump errors in Canada too.. was he already injured then? or is this a new injury?

You made me calculate it.
Well they can still make it to the final with a third place and at least 140,49 points in the Free today. But I think they will probably beat Yu/Zhang because Yu´s SBS jumps are far away from being consistent.

Bruno mentioned the back problems yesterday for the first time. I think Skate Canada was just kind of pressure problem.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
You made me calculate it.
Well they can still make it to the final with a third place and at least 140,49 points in the Free today. But I think they will probably beat Yu/Zhang because Yu´s SBS jumps are far away from being consistent.

Bruno mentioned the back problems yesterday for the first time. I think Skate Canada was just kind of pressure problem.

What is needed for James / Cipres to make the GPF? :( Is there any semi-likely scenario?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
This was just pointed out to me on another forum, but isolated scores from the Canadian and Chinese judges for Savchenko/Massot really show the Olympic season is underway. The Canadian judge's score for their twist and the Chinese judge's PCS compared to the other top teams here is quite telling.