2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs SP

gold12345

Medalist
She did a tano twist for the first time! That is why the got level 4. The missed the split or the entry. But not both.

Good eye catching the tano on the twist. You could hardly see it from the camera angle. If I wasn't looking for it, I never would have noticed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think people said that Stolbova and Klimov's Besame mucho wasn't hot enough and I said that for me it was too lively because when Stolbova and Klimov skate I want to feel like I'm either in a morgue or like I'm a broken bottle in a moonlit winter graveyard. So, it became a thing, and now it's almost Halloween!!! Spooky!

oh yeah, that's right ... gosh... i was almost there :laugh2:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think people said that Stolbova and Klimov's Besame mucho wasn't hot enough and I said that for me it was too lively because when Stolbova and Klimov skate I want to feel like I'm either in a morgue or like I'm a broken bottle in a moonlit winter graveyard. So, it became a thing, and now it's almost Halloween!!! Spooky!

I think it just became a thing because:

1) I have ADHD;
2) I'm really immature; and:
2) I'm the type to never let a joke die, even if everyone else wanted it dead decades ago.

Ahhhh... see what I did there? Let the Ksenia joke DIE?!?! :laugh2:

rain

Record Breaker
I really noticed with the whole field that many more pairs have paid attention to the step sequence choreography this year and have offered up some great stuff. Loved it!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I think it just became a thing because:

1) I have ADHD;
2) I'm really immature; and:
2) I'm the type to never let a joke die, even if everyone else wanted it dead decades ago.

Ahhhh... see what I did there? Let the Ksenia joke DIE?!?! :laugh2:

like a vampire
let it live forever

QuadThrow

Medalist
Good eye catching the tano on the twist. You could hardly see it from the camera angle. If I wasn't looking for it, I never would have noticed.

Well I did not noticed it either. But during the slow motion their coached said: "maybe no split but the tano is there!" Then I watched it again and you could slightly see that she put her arm above the head for the last rotation.

Well. one and a half years ago when they really struggled with the twist level I wrote Aljona that she should try the tano to get level in any case via instagram. Now it is there. I can feel my huge impact;))

pearly

Record Breaker
I wish S/M would drop the 3A and do a different triple instead because it ruins the flow of the program when it's not clean.

Anyone else find those hearts on her boots too big and distracting? What are those, Harlicks?

gold12345

Medalist
Savchenko/Massot's 3ATh does seem a bit like a Hail Mary attempt, at least right now. But what throw would they do instead? Their 3FTh had many 2 foot issues in the past, and a 3STh is too simple in a SP. The 3ATh is one reason why they had a base value advantage today of nearly 5 points over Duhamel/Radford (who did a 2Lz) and 4 points over James/Cipres (who missed a couple levels). It's a shame S/M have these throw issues because they really do have impressive throws.

I feel like some fans don't dissect pair events like they do singles, and then just yell "wuz robbed". But a lot can be explained by the protocol sheet. For example Peng/Jin's score seemed a tad low for what they did, even with the completely botched jump, but they missed too many levels. The points on the "lesser elements" that people often overlook, like pair spins and death spirals add up. I don't think James/Cipres did enough to be 1st.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I didn't get why James/Cipres got such high scores. While PCS wise it was interesting, technically everything looks sloppy.

Duhamel/Radford, I've never felt them, never will. Overscored...

I had Z/E much higher than 69.00

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What the heck is up with that blue strip of frabric on Morgan Cipres' costume? Rip it off immediately, it looks so poorly tailored and out of place. I'm convinced their PCS are hurt by this distraction, seriously!

I'm not sure about this choice of music for them either, it feels too subdued.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I did not noticed it either. But during the slow motion their coached said: "maybe no split but the tano is there!" Then I watched it again and you could slightly see that she put her arm above the head for the last rotation.

Well. one and a half years ago when they really struggled with the twist level I wrote Aljona that she should try the tano to get level in any case via instagram. Now it is there. I can feel my huge impact;))

maybe you should tell them to drop the 3a throw ;)

QuadThrow

Medalist
I didn't get why James/Cipres got such high scores. While PCS wise it was interesting, technically everything looks sloppy.

Duhamel/Radford, I've never felt them, never will. Overscored...

I had Z/E much higher than 69.00

Many users mentioned the complete opposite about J/C. It feels like they missed their chance yesterday to become a Gold pair. Did not convinced me either.

The point differences were big yesterday because the technical panel was strict with the levels.

Art&Sport

Medalist
What the heck is up with that blue strip of frabric on Morgan Cipres' costume? Rip it off immediately, it looks so poorly tailored and out of place. I'm convinced their PCS are hurt by this distraction, seriously!

I'm not sure about this choice of music for them either, it feels too subdued.

Really? Seriously? What else do you have to nitpick about to try and justify J/C not scoring higher? J/C clearly skated better overall than everyone else in the sp.

Both S/M and D/R were not at their best. I also would have had Denney/Frazier 2 to 3 points higher. And Luba/Dylan deserved better components and a higher score. Z/E are looking much better as a team, but they still have a lot to work on. As usual, Z/E are overscored on the basis of their Russian aesthetic. But boy are I/M and Z/E copying J/C's style and moves. Lots of teams seem inspired by J/C's exciting breakthrough last season. And J/C aren't missing a beat here. I think under the circumstances that S/M should not be higher than 74.95 or thereabouts, with J/C around 74.50. There could be an argument for J/C to actually be in first place, but I suppose figure skating establishment just can't have that happen. LOL

I like Meagan and Eric, but they were not exactly on, and they haven't been for awhile. It's as if they peaked at 2016 Worlds. Meagan and Eric should actually be behind J/C.

... I don't think James/Cipres did enough to be 1st.

Right, because we really can't ever have J/C coming in first in a major, relevant competition. Meanwhile, it's okay to give them consolation firsts at WTT and senior Bs.

When the competitors are this talented and this close in ability, it's very important to nitpick on 'levels,' which allows the judges leeway to put skaters just where they desire them to be based on politics and status quo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is somthing Aljona wants so badly. I believe half of the world is telling her everyday to drop the 3A. But she is too stubborn.

well... perhaps she is right... looking at protocols... D/R had a great 3lutz throw... and the advantage is barely noticeable with S/M 3a throw... so i guess that if they did their 3flip... and two footed it... it would be even worse for them... but that's what we call in singles

a planned quad fall....

and IMHO it should affect PCS in performance and execution as well as TES...

i just want great clean performances

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Really? Seriously? What else do you have to nitpick about to try and justify J/C not scoring higher? J/C clearly skated better overall than everyone else in the sp.

Both S/M and D/R were not at their best. I also would have had Denney/Frazier 2 to 3 points higher. And Luba/Dylan deserved better components and a higher score. Z/E are looking much better as a team, but they still have a lot to work on. As usual, Z/E are overscored on the basis of their Russian aesthetic. But boy are I/M and Z/E copying J/C's style and moves. Lots of teams seem inspired by J/C's exciting breakthrough last season. And J/C aren't missing a beat here. I think under the circumstances that S/M should not be higher than 74.95 or thereabouts, with J/C around 74.50. There could be an argument for J/C to actually be in first place, but I suppose figure skating establishment just can't have that happen. LOL

I like Meagan and Eric, but they were not exactly on, and they haven't been for awhile. It's as if they peaked at 2016 Worlds. Meagan and Eric should actually be behind J/C.

well here are my two cents...

i have seen both these teams at the same event ACI 2017... i also saw J/C at ACI 2016... and D/R at Canadian nationals.

here are some factors that can explain D/R higher PCS marks for instance...

In general : they skate much faster, cover more ice, and are more powerful.... they also have better edges and their programs are usually much more in synch, both in terms of timing but also of angles... (and I am sure that D/R had to work a lot on this since they are so different physically)

So... while D/R have been rougher in the past, in the last few years, they have refined and refined and refined... look at their step sequence for instance this year.

When you say that D/R were not on tonight... or haven't been in a while...

well, their SP was very on in ACI... and this was a one mistake performance.. Meagan doubled her lutz.. first time since??? 1956?

D/R do not lose levels (they only get level 3 on the twist usually but all 4 on the rest)

As much as I love the commitment of J/C, their fierceness, their connection with the public, they still have to refine a lot of their skating to be at the level of the first 4-5 teams...

This being said, I also wish them to fix on little thing at a time... so we can enjoy them improving over the year...

I think they will have their shot very soon...

Art&Sport

Medalist
We yet to see S/H but I really doubt that both D/R and S/M would beat in f2f comp the skate from T/M at COR.

The thing about it though is that T/M although excellent with their skating skills and technical prowess are quite poor overall in terms of presentation. They do not connect well and their coaches keep giving them terrible programs. While their sp is okay, their fp is a disaster. The music selection is awful, the choreo isn't much better, and their costumes make my eyes bleed. They do not have any idea about the lyrics or music, which is just not right for them. But clearly the ISU judges do not care. They absolutely must overscore T/M on composition and interpretation. Such a lie.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

The costume thing is a horrible aesthetic choice, it's not a nitpick as far as packaging goes. This is a very real concern about how an Olympic audience will perceive them.

Obviously they don't REALLY deserve to lose a ton of PCS because of a piece of fabric on the costume, but I do feel it plays into a negative perception of them by the judges and is an actual distraction of sorts from the performance. It's just a bad line, and you want good lines.

The bigger problem is their program. It's boring and does not suit them. They did not skate the best best here, Savchenko/Massot displayed better choreography and musicality. There was a mistake on S/M's throw, yes, but it's a 3Axel. No other pair is doing this element.

I'm rooting for James/Cipres, but they need new music and need to rip the distracting fabric off Morgan's enormously attractive chest.