2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ladies FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ladies FS

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
What's really in Zagitova's favour is that she's doing the toughest jump layout at this point and she's backloading. So from the athletic point of view I approve of that more than I approve of Medvedeva's jump layout, which isn't the toughest (that 3 jump combo with the 2 2T's still bothers me).
So Zagitova wouldn't only win because of consistency and backloading (like Medvedeva two seasons ago, not last season because she's improved her overall skating quite a bit).
But then I think that Zagitova's overall skating isn't that good yet. She can win if 2 or 3 skaters make mistakes, but with a clean performance from all top athletes only bronze is realistic imo.

Mayumi1990

Rinkside
Opps i forgot the 2A. No need to come after me.:pray:

LOL Im not fighting you, Im not denying that Medvedeva has brilliant programs this season but Zagitova's FS has the potential to be amazing and attention grabber especially if she hits. Casual fans will love Zagitova's FS because its charming and easy to the eyes.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Yeah in juniors and even her first year in seniors it seemed that skating well was her only objective: i loved the fierceness Elena and Alexandra Proklova used to have back in the days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p65cTjAfUg

Now she almost lost that power, more refined and elegant but also cold.

If she finds a way back i'd like to see that Frida free skate with this more matured Elena Radionova, because it was a really great program, but the sensual part a little inappropriate for her age.

I think skating well is still her main objective. I agree she was incredibly charming and charismatic as a junior skater and during her first senior season, and I think that's how she won many people including me over. She didn't really lose her spark until last season, IMO and I think it had to do with lack of motivation and not enough training. I feel her team has just not done a great job packaging her, or maybe they didn't know what to do once she matured and wanted an older image. I feel like she wants to be like Ashley Wagner, and yet it is somehow not working for her. I initially thought Shae Lynn was a great choice for her, but in looking at all her programs, I actually think Averbukh's programs were her best. Maybe it's simply that she was in her peak condition then. While I'd love to see her Frida, JLo, or Rach program again now that she is a more mature, refined skater, I question if she could do the technical content- they are crazy packed with difficult transitions and entries into jumps.

Also, could someone explain why her loop was invalidated after she fell on the entry into her initial planned loop? If she didn't even perform the first loop, why could they invalidate her second one?

skatenewbie

Medalist
if Dabin wants to podium here she should put another 2A-3T instead doing 3Lz-2T (i know its placeholder for 3Lz-3T, but still...)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Also, could someone explain why her loop was invalidated after she fell on the entry into her initial planned loop? If she didn't even perform the first loop, why could they invalidate her second one?
Quite simple - she attempted to do a loop. It doesn't matter that she didn't jump into the air, she had already prepared for take-off.

if Dabin wants to podium here she should put another 2A-3T instead doing 3Lz-2T (i know its placeholder for 3Lz-3T, but still...)
A better SP would have done the trick as well. I think the 3Lz-3T is the right path, for any top lady.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What unusual great music choice. Sound like Taiwan Aboriginals from Enigma Return to innocence

A bit OT but I thought to share. Just did a bit of research on Katie Powell's FS music and discovered this amazing tale. Rather touching and inspiring, would love to hear more of these unconventional choices be part of the sport. Arts crosses borders, breaks down barriers and can be so touching on such visceral levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woEcdqqbEVg

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Watching the FS again - I don't really understand why they have Evgenia's StSq a level 3 instead of a 4?

Artemisa

Final Flight
My favourite was Rika.
Zhenya almost perfect like always but with her is always the same kind of skate and music .. I apreciate the prefection and effortless ( today not so much) but not the music her programs ...
Elena .. I think is missing a litle bit of her passion
Leonova ... I like the underdogs .... one day the jumps will be there

Ender

Match Penalty
What's really in Zagitova's favour is that she's doing the toughest jump layout at this point and she's backloading. So from the athletic point of view I approve of that more than I approve of Medvedeva's jump layout, which isn't the toughest (that 3 jump combo with the 2 2T's still bothers me).
So Zagitova wouldn't only win because of consistency and backloading (like Medvedeva two seasons ago, not last season because she's improved her overall skating quite a bit).
But then I think that Zagitova's overall skating isn't that good yet. She can win if 2 or 3 skaters make mistakes, but with a clean performance from all top athletes only bronze is realistic imo.
Medvedeva should have keep her 2-5 layout and change the combo into 3F3Lo. Then 3lz2T2lo.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Medvedeva should have keep her 2-5 layout and change the combo into 3F3Lo. Then 3lz2T2lo.
It sounds easy when you write it. ;)
We know that she can do a 3F-3L in training but can she do it consistently in competition? Probably not ... and that 2L at the end of the 3 jump combo isn't so very easy, it only looks easy when skaters who regularly do it execute it. The speed is the problem.

Ender

Match Penalty
It sounds easy when you write it. ;)
We know that she can do a 3F-3L in training but can she do it consistently in competition? Probably not ... and that 2L at the end of the 3 jump combo isn't so very easy, it only looks easy when skaters who regularly do it execute it. The speed is the problem.
I think it would be easier if she experienced it last season and drag it to this season. Instead they didn't let her experience it last season. Now when they have a rival with huge potential and obvious higher BV, they start changing the layout. In my opinion it's not a smart move to suddenly change the layout in Olympic season.
She might have landed 3F3Lo and 3F2T2lo easily by now in competition had she tried it last season.
But also. Her weakest point is the e in the Lutz which they haven't corrected it.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it would be easier if she experienced it last season and drag it to this season. Instead they didn't let her experience it last season. Now when they have a rival with huge potential and obvious higher BV, they start changing the layout. In my opinion it's not a smart move to suddenly change the layout in Olympic season.
She might have landed 3F3Lo and 3F2T2lo easily by now in competition had she tried it last season.
But also. Her weakest point is the e in the Lutz which they haven't corrected it.
I disagree. Going into the Olympic season as a two time World Champ, unbeaten for quite a while is great. Consistency is important, the judges count on her to deliver. That's why I think the tech panels overlooked that lutz edge all season. If she lands it clean, with a tano or a rippon arm variation I'm sure the tech panels are going to overlook that edge again. She only has a problem if she gives them reason to review the jump.
I'm pretty sure she'll win that Olympic gold if she's able to deliver two clean performances. She probably shouldn't work on the lutz edge, that would probably only unnerve her. I think she should get that edge call but it shouldn't really matter to her. I don't think that those 3 points are going to make a difference in the end.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Shout out especially to sequinsgalore for PBPs!

Love Med as a competitor and someone who delivers, but hate the composition of that program. The backloading is too much.

Agreed, but as long as backloading is rewarded skaters will keep doing it. Funny though because I remember the days when I would complain about frontloading! :biggrin:

I could swear some of Zhenya's jumps looked borderline UR. But it seems they weren't called. Very nice FS though and well deserved win.

So sad about Elena. She seems to have lost some of her sparkle. I have a soft spot for Zhang and Leonova. I hope they keep skating for the love of it.

Zora

On the Ice
Rika, along with Wakaba Higuchi, has one of my favorite free programs so far this season! Good to see her back in form, but it's sad she won't be able to go to the Olympics or Worlds.
This is the kind of program I would have loved for Evgenia to try. I understand why they chose something similar to her previous programs, but I hope after the Olympic season she can start to experiment a bit with different music styles as well.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I adore Dabin's program, totally unexpected,
having been watching it many times now.:eek::
the second half is "Song thought by my mom".
A very thoughtful music choice!
I wish you good luck this OG season. Lovely Girl!

lanark

On the Ice
Rika, along with Wakaba Higuchi, has one of my favorite free programs so far this season! Good to see her back in form, but it's sad she won't be able to go to the Olympics or Worlds.
This is the kind of program I would have loved for Evgenia to try. I understand why they chose something similar to her previous programs, but I hope after the Olympic season she can start to experiment a bit with different music styles as well.

I thought the FS music for both Rika and Wakaba is very distracting. But they do skate well to it. I think Wakaba is a strong contender for team Japan.

Medvedeva's FS music is just gorgeus and thank god, no effects, no voices, no nothing. But the program has a very similar style. Med's senior body of work is very one dimensional, so far. She has a specific style and sticks to it. I can't even imagine her doing something different. But I hope the time will come when she'll show some other facet of hers.

So far she has really improved from last season. Not so much open mouth in this FS, so that's a big step. She also seems to be feeling the music more here. Her single jumps also look better, except for her eternal nemesis the Lutz.

Her combinations are soooooooo slow. Incredibly muscled. I think she's sacrificing speed, height, distance and overall quality to put her hands above her head. But hey, it's apparently paying off so... Keep it up, I guess.
:slink:

Overall, very good skate from Medvedeva and Rika. The other girls had too many ups and downs in their programs. :(

lanark

On the Ice
Agreed, but as long as backloading is rewarded skaters will keep doing it. Funny though because I remember the days when I would complain about frontloading! :biggrin:

I think that's one of the reasons they created the 10% bonus, to encourage skaters to not "frontload", to make programs more balanced.
But it seems it backfired. :laugh:

I could swear some of Zhenya's jumps looked borderline UR.
But it seems they weren't called. Very nice FS though and well deserved win.

I thought so too. :confused:
But I'll believe the judges did their jobs correctly! :)