2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
West rink is off line now. I hope they come back for group 2, at least. I haven't seen Natalie D'Alexandro. She may be in this group.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
In junior ladies there were many withdrawals, at least according to the starting list. Hope the men won't follow the same pattern of absentees.

TGee

Record Breaker
In junior ladies there were many withdrawals, at least according to the starting list. Hope the men won't follow the same pattern of absentees.

Thing is...Minto has historically been the event with a significant proportion of withdrawals ....so much so that it seemed that the schedule was designed to anticipate them..

But with skaters needing 2 NSS and two Ontario super series events, it seems like none were willing to risk foregoing Minto and for the first time in many years, there were few to no withdrawals e.g. for Junior Men.

At this point, those skaters who did well enough at Minto and CQd'E, or already have their NextGen/JPG status seem to feel they can pass on a third competition.

What I'm seeing from the remaining Thornhill start lists is that skaters who didn't skate to expectations in the earlier events are continuing on....as well as those who know that they won't meet the criteria get JPG slots, and are trying to make a case for a Junior berth at a B event or perhaps just trying to get in as many high level events before sectionals and Challenge as they can.

TGee

Record Breaker
A shout out to two event skaters showing some Ontario grit at Thornhill:

Junior Pairs girls Evelyn Walsh and Alison Schumacher are in 4th and 5th respectively in Junior Women (1) after the SP.

Junior Ice Dancer Corey Circelli is also competing in Junior Men.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am not sure for Natalie, but Bruce Whereareyou did not compete in Junior men, so it seems both were absent. Maybe they stick to dance. It's just a supposition

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Splat fest in seniors...Amanda Tobin was sort of OK. I hope Elizabet will do some justice in the senior world

TGee

Record Breaker
Thinking positive thoughts for the twins from Baie Comeau...

Emy Decelles came in at about where she was for the SP at nationals in January [48ish]...but an improvement over her opener at Minto...hopefully we'll see another good outing for her 3T-3T that she landed at CQd'E.

Kim is not in the start list, which suggests whatever forced her withdrawal from Minto is ongoing...

TGee

Record Breaker
Senior Women's SP unofficial results:

1st Elisabet TurSynbaeva

2nd Amanda Tobin

3rd Michelle Long

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't know, but each time I see Elizabet I think she is dangerously thin. Kyle, by comparison was opposite. That's why figure skating is beautiful as it accepts all kind of body types. It is true that for high performance you need to fit some sort of frame, the thinner the better. But again, Elizabet is dangerously thin.

Kuan

Final Flight
:bed: Uhh. That's not my time. Good luck to all the boys/ men :clap:

(Elizabets dress for SP is the best of the season so far for me!:love: )

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm liking the improvements that I'm seeing in Nam's expression, edges and skills.

The spins are cleaned up and centred compared to some issues we saw last season, which is a good signal that he's mastering his new height.

And I'm wondering if the struggles with the jumps are arising from timing issues due to efforts to step up the entry speed. Still slow entries for senior men's but things are changing there.

TGee

Record Breaker
What a nice outing for this Singing in the Rain SP from Keegan Messing...

It's already taken a step up in polish since Wild Rose....

I must admit that I wondered if the splinted fingers on his left hand would impact his balance or focus....but not a jot!

---------

SP 84.91 Go Keegan!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What a nice outing for this Singing in the Rain SP from Keegan Messing...

It's already taken a step up in polish since Wild Rose....

I must admit that I wondered if the splinted fingers on his left hand would impact his balance or focus....but not a jot!

---------

SP 84.91 Go Keegan!

He looked really strong.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Geez, I guess Steve has become some scare for senior men. Good Keegan managed to do a very good program Nam was good too. It's a pity he fell.

TGee

Record Breaker
I am liking Benet Toman's SP...it suits him well...

Score lower than he needs to be...but the transitions into the picked jumps are challenging ....

TGee

Record Breaker
An odd skate from Stephen Gogolev... SP 64.52 and 5th place

Great energy, quality and flow through the first jump....

...but then it seemed the focus and energy faltered through to the planned 3A that he lost the edge of on take-off and blew the element...

Focus and intensity back through until just before the final spin....in which again he looked to have had a near thing on an edge...

- - - Updated - - -

Unofficial Senior Men's SP ranking

1st Keegan Messing

2nd Nam Ngyuen

3rd Roman Sadovsky