2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill) | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ono-Shrieber (Japan) Nice twist, nice lift but everything else was problematic (nice death spiral too). Fell on the throw, doubled the sbs and the footwork was messy. Shame.

TGee

Record Breaker
That's Mancini-Reekie in last place....but they were philosophic about it....Christian Reekie had a serious situation with blood poisoning following a foot/ankle infection last December.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Is the name Marin popular in Japan btw? They are in 4th place.

Shumacher-Daleman (is this Gaby's brother?) Spanish pop music. Slow and cautious but they are banging out the elements. Well done! she seemed really dizzy at the end.

- - - Updated - - -

That's Mancini-Reekie in last place....but they were philosophic about it....Christian Reekie had a serious situation with blood poisoning following a foot/ankle infection last December.

Scary. Glad he's back and healthy again.

TGee

Record Breaker
I
Shumacher-Daleman (is this Gaby's brother?) Spanish pop music. Slow and cautious but they are banging out the elements. Well done! she seemed really dizzy at the end.

Yes, Zachary Daleman is Gabby's younger brother...he skated singles up to the end of last season. He's new to pairs, but they have several of the challenging pairs elements under control if cautiously done.

An SP of ~36 is solid for them in August of their first season in pairs. I see a lot to like with them as a team, and as pairs skaters. I'm looking to the future with these two.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Shumacher-Daleman into 4th.

Eby-Den Boer (Bridge over troubled water) Not bad but the sbs looked tiny and singled. Twist was pretty good but on the shoulder but the lift was fine and the throw looked okay.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yes, Zachary Daleman is Gabby's younger brother...he skated singles up to the end of last season. He's new to pairs, but they have several of the challenging pairs elements under control if cautiously done.

An SP of ~36 is solid for them in August of their first season in pairs. I see a lot to like with them as a team, and as pairs skaters. I'm looking to the future with these two.

Ah.. I see. The pair elements will improve with time. I thought they did well except for the speed.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Eby-Den Boer into 4th

Paxton-Knott These two are tiny and I'd question the appropriateness of the music. However they did very well. Not polished on the twist and the jumps were barely off the ground but they got everything done and seemed to be trying to perform.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Boys-Eddy
McCaw-Adcock
Walsh-Michaud

(Paxton Knott are in fifth)

That Zamboni is loud enough to wake the dead. All in all I thought the juniors looked good. Lots of potential.

TGee

Record Breaker
A special recognition for Paxton Knott...another 2 discipline skater from London, ON.

He and his [apparently quite young partner] Patricia Andrew are in 5th after the SP with a ~37 score.

When I saw Paxton skate in the Junior Men's FS...It showed that he's used to skating with a partner, but I hadn't realized he's skating pairs. Kudos to him and the others for continuing to push their development as singles skaters while taking on the challenging discipline of pairs.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
A special recognition for Paxton Knott...another 2 discipline skater from London, ON.

He and his [apparently quite young partner] Patricia Andrew are in 5th after the SP with a ~37 score.

When I saw Paxton skate in the Junior Men's FS...It showed that he's used to skating with a partner, but I hadn't realized he's skating pairs. Kudos to him and the others for continuing to push their development as singles skaters while taking on the challenging discipline of pairs.

You are a fount of knowledge TGee!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Senior Pairs:

Purich-Portz- (was she not Mervin Tran's partner) Arms of the Angel by S. Mac. Nice twist (little low but fine), fall on the sbs and then a weird fall on the throw (landed and then stumbled down), nice lift (good ice coverage) Hate, hate the cut in the music toward the end. Horrid. Please consider changing that.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
P/P-Having fun while waiting for their scores...long wait... 46.17 (which is lower than Boys-Eddy btw)

I/M- (go Lubov and Dylan! :cheer:) Dressed like they are in an arty French film: In the air tonight by Phil Collns.

She doubled the side by side (quelle surprise) but otherwise it was good. Needs more polish of course, still a little rough around the edges. Lifts are great of course.

TGee

Record Breaker
Loving Luba and Dylan's new SP to Phil Collin's In the Air...

Polish, intensity, and landed [if a bit of a turn-out for Luba] SBS jumps. 65.69

Looks as though they are saving the big reveal for the costumes until the international season begins....

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I/M 65.90

Rau/Wilkinson Another I'll put a spell on you (sigh) One extra reason to hate the 50 Shades of Grey movie. Low double twist, fall on the side by side, decent lift, decent throw (although not much ice coverage)
- - - Updated - - -

Loving Luba and Dylan's new SP to Phil Collin's In the Air...

Polish, intensity, and landed [if a bit of a turn-out for Luba] SBS jumps. 65.69

Looks as though they are saving the big reveal for the costumes until the international season begins....

Or they are going for arty French movie look. I thought she doubled the jump.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I/M 65.90

Rau/Wilkinson Another I'll put a spell on you (sigh) One extra reason to hate the 50 Shades of Grey movie. Low double twist, fall on the side by side, decent lift, decent throw (although not much ice coverage)
- - - Updated - - -

Or they are going for arty French movie look. I thought she doubled the jump.

I so need video. It's just finally hitting me, the season has begun.

TGee

Record Breaker
I so need video. It's just finally hitting me, the season has begun.

Yup, there should be accessible video available on replay.

Unfortunately, Skate Ontario is reluctantly coming to the party in terms of livestreaming. . .in the past Ontario events weren't generally streamed at all and we relied on fan cams.

Skate Canada required livestream of NSS events this season, so Minto Summer Skate and Thornhill have stream, but it doesn't appear that the Ontario section put out the additional resources for public archiving. :dev2:

In my view, streaming without archive doesn't really fulfil the principles of transparency and accessibility. The entire idea is that skaters across Canada should be able see what their competitors are doing and analyse it to inform their own training. We can hope that Skate Canada takes the next step and requires public archiving of all NSS events next year.

TGee

Record Breaker
I/M 65.90

I thought she doubled the jump.

Not sure at all...and of course there is no archived video to check.

Protocols for both the Junior Pairs and Senior Pairs SPs aren't up. Based on experience, seems we can look for Skate Ontario's data team to have it up in the morning.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
So cool to finally see I/M perform their new Short Program after seeing them train it back in July while I was at the National Performance Centre in Toronto!!