2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate (Thornhill)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Senior Men Standings

1. Nam Nguyen 237.67
2. Roman Sadovsky 227.79
3. Stephen Gogolev 224.53
4. Keegan Messing 222.90
5. Bennet Toman 200.91
6. Genki Suzuki 148.60
7. Josh Allen 146.97

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam still may not be where he'd like to be, but he won the FS as well as 2nd in the SP, and the event overall.

Actually, Stephen won the LP; the scores for this segment were:

1. Gogolev 160.01
2. Nguyen 159.16
3. Sadovsky 151.12
4. Messing 137.99
5. Toman 134.07
6. Suzuki 104.04
7. Allen 97.16

Sabrina

Record Breaker
So Nam did 2 quads? Honestly the out of focus image didn't help me. He rotates so quickly. I prefer Roman, but although he had a good program he srlill lost a few good ponts with a couple of pops, and a couple of skid landings. Still amazing music and interpretation. The Kid did it again. Except one little fall he was perfect. And at 12 to have that speed, spins, and jumps among intricate steps is amazing.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:scratch2:Why are people so busy complaining about Osmond's SP when they should be saving us from this ghastly free skate program for Roman? (He is a light, fluid skater with beautiful positions. This is heavy, dreary, and sleep-inducing. Going on my list with Lauriault & Le Gac's FD as one of two genuine misses for the season).

Congrats to Nam on the win. May all these gentlemen have far better skates in the future because they went through this experience today. (I just missed Gogolev's performance. It sounds like he skated well).

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My Vimeo account only has room for 4 LPs, so I chose to upload the performances of the Senior Women's champion and the Senior Men's medalists. The Junior Men will have to wait until next week (sorry 4everchan).

Elizabet Tursynbaeva's LP (the password is elizabet): https://vimeo.com/230239605

Stephen Gogolev's LP (the password is stephen): https://vimeo.com/230239177

Roman Sadovsky's LP (the password is roman): https://vimeo.com/230238448

Nam Nguyen's LP (the password is nam): https://vimeo.com/230238807

loretta007

Rinkside
:scratch2:Why are people so busy complaining about Osmond's SP when they should be saving us from this ghastly free skate program for Roman? (He is a light, fluid skater with beautiful positions. This is heavy, dreary, and sleep-inducing. Going on my list with Lauriault & Le Gac's FD as one of two genuine misses for the season).

Can't agree more with that. His stamina issue really stood out when the program is supposed to be edgy and powerful (don't get me started on how the program itself is less sophisticated than his programs in the past).

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Congrats to Nam on the win. May all these gentlemen have far better skates in the future because they went through this experience today. (I just missed Gogolev's performance. It sounds like he skated well).

I agree with you on Roman and Lauriault/Le Gac lmaooo

Also I was at the arena tonight, enjoyed some great skating. Roman's LP is hardly a metal FS, it's an Anime soundtrack or something and I don't even know what's really happening in it or what he's trying to perform to the audience or judges. I feel like his growth affected him and I found him gangly and the choreography to be random, he needs better packaging in the LP. Nam's growth spurt was a while ago and he seems to skate more comfortably now, good skate for him, speed improved from the first time I saw him in person in 2014, posture needs work.

Keegan Messing and Stephen Gogolev impressed me the most, Keegan is a fast rotater and his jumps don't really travel, but his spins steps and choreography all seem very complete so if he wants to go for harder jumps I don't mind. Stephen, if he competes seniors at Nationals, he wouldn't be out of place except for his height and face, wow, he is such a talent, I hope he stays healthy. Took a rough tumble in the warm up but skated respectably in the free with a few bobbles here and there.

Elizabet's jumps weren't quite there but I did like her skating a lot, she's very small but fills up the rink really nicely. Lovely skater but a bit of a rough skate, can't wait to see her improve during the season.

TGee

Record Breaker
[
Actually, Stephen won the LP; the scores for this segment were:

1. Gogolev 160.01
2. Nguyen 159.16

You are right of course.....I didn't have the scores down and was backing out of the totals. Less than a point separated them. Shows that Nam is starting to get back in contention though...

VIKTOR

Rinkside
Senior Men Standings

1. Nam Nguyen 237.67
2. Roman Sadovsky 227.79
3. Stephen Gogolev 224.53
4. Keegan Messing 222.09
5. Bennet Toman 200.91
6. Genki Suzuki 148.06
7. Josh Allen 146.97

Now

1. Nam Nguyen 237.67
2. Stephen Gogolev 227.94
3. Roman Sadovsky 227.79

TGee

Record Breaker
Junior Dance...

First flight is in train...

A special huzzah for Corey Circelli just off the ice with his partner Katarina Kataskin of TCC. A nice skate for their SD with a score of ~47

Corey is a two discipline skater, and placed 3rd in Junior Men yesterday. :cheer:

TGee

Record Breaker
Really enjoyed the SD from Next Gen team members Irina Galiyanova and Tommy Tang of Scarboro FSC. Score 56.42. Put them in 1st.

----------------------------------------

SD from Olivia Han and Grayson Lochead, the other Next Gen team in the event, was less pulled together in my view. They really shone in the 3 twizzles and no-touch sequence, but the actual patterns were somewhat laboured, or something....

Han/Lochead's SD 50.13 to put them behind Olivia McIsacc and Elliot Graham who followed them. Good for McIssac/Graham....but should be a bit of a wake up for Han/Lochead...

TGee

Record Breaker
Senior Short Dance

Swiss team Manni / Rothlisberger came in over 47...will be solid to make the technical requirements for ISU events and the Olympics if they skate like this at an ISU event this fall.

Scarboro FSC's Lanaghan / Razgulajevs fared better than their NSS outing at CQE, but I can't say they drew me in....3 twizzles and other essentials were there, but there seemed to be a lot of posing. 63.70 sounds as though the judges felt somewhat the same.

TGee

Record Breaker
Junior Pairs are warming up for their SP...

National champions [and 5th at junior Worlds] Walsh/Michaud lead off the first group.

The Boys-Eddy sibs [bronze at nationals] will follow. They and the rest to follow are all looking to up their tech and total scores to me the new and touch Next Gen / JPG selection criteria.

TGee

Record Breaker
Amanda Tobin...a solid skate [but 2 falls] put her into second.

Michelle Long...is Fast....so fast that the video operator kept on losing focus on her....[hadn't realized that about her before]...however, she was losing her take offs on her edge jumps and had several falls. Nice FS vehicle for her....perhaps the adrenaline got away from her too. Put her in 3rd.. with two skaters to go.

Tough outing for Walsh/Michaud in the Junior Pairs SP. She fell twice [SBS jump and throw] which is unusual as she is a strong jumper, placing 2nd in her flight in Junior Women skating singles. SP score 44.32

-------

By contrast, the Boys-Eddy sibs are justifiably smiling wide after a clean SP...MacKenzie looks like he's now totally recovered from the injury that had them withdraw from Skate Detroit...and Olivia's jumps were on. SP score 48.79....might be a PB...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Pairs! My favourite.
I'm here but I don't know if I'll have much to say until I/M. Then I might have too much to say.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well.. aren't the Boys-Eddys adorable. Missed the beginning but the lift and spins looked good. The throw was a double I think and didn't get much distance.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
McCaw and Adcock (twelve year old boy snicker) had a good clean skate. Better twist than some I saw at the last Quebec senior event. Doubled the side by side but the throw looked good. They are a much more adult looking junior pair than the Boys-Eddys.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Mancini and Reekie: I hope at least once in their career they skate to Henry. Ack.. weird single twist. Nice throw.. double but good speed and coverage. Fall on the side by side and the lift was a little laboured and slow at the end. No idea what is a normal skate for these two but they seemed happy enough.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So far:
Boys-Eddy
McGraw-Adcock
Walsh-Michaud
Mancini-Adcock

(that seems like a bit of an upset, right?