2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
The thing is Keegan has dun goofed on his combos before in this season, and added them to his other jumps so it's not like he can't do it. He was probably nervous and overwhelmed by being Canada's top man in a way he wasn't last year with PChiddy hanging about, but darn... even if he'd fixed one of his combos in either the short or long that would have been good. Alas. He is 26 so I'm not sure how long he will skate for, though he is certainly still springy as a cat, but I hope he can work on training himself in more high pressure scenarios, because he got a LOT of big time competitions this year, and though he was terrific at Skate Canada he didn't recapture that confident magic for the rest of his season.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I doubt Messing makes it to the next Olympics, he is already old when it comes to men’s figure skating...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan has had a long, tough season this year. Nebelhorn, two GPs, the GPF, Nationals, then 4CC---which may have turned out to be his peak. Keegan is 27, and may find peaking twice in a short span of time tough, especially when it involves traveling halfway around the World. Up next is the WTT, and Keegan as the top-rated Canadian man is the obvious choice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The thing is Keegan has dun goofed on his combos before in this season, and added them to his other jumps so it's not like he can't do it. He was probably nervous and overwhelmed by being Canada's top man in a way he wasn't last year with PChiddy hanging about, but darn... even if he'd fixed one of his combos in either the short or long that would have been good. Alas. He is 26 so I'm not sure how long he will skate for, though he is certainly still springy as a cat, but I hope he can work on training himself in more high pressure scenarios, because he got a LOT of big time competitions this year, and though he was terrific at Skate Canada he didn't recapture that confident magic for the rest of his season.

patrick wasn't at worlds last year....and actually, keegan was in the final flight last year at worlds... he also lived the olympic experience... one would think that he would have had a clearer mind... well.. it happens.. he said in interview he was upset about it...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Are Joseph and Conrad moving to seniors next season?

to fight for one spot????

i think joseph should remain junior... too erratic... Conrad has improved tremendously in his skating skills... and is a bit more of a fighter on the ice.. i think he is ready but i wouldn't be encouraging either one of them to move up unless they have an incredible summer of training. ...

also : for those who didn't watch on tv... Keegan will be back. he committed for two years.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i think joseph should remain junior... too erratic... Conrad has improved tremendously in his skating skills... and is a bit more of a fighter on the ice.. i think he is ready but i wouldn't be encouraging either one of them to move up unless they have an incredible summer of training. ...
For Conrad, since he has the senior TES minimums now, I'd aim for half-junior, half-senior. Do the JGP in the fall, maybe a Challenger if Skate Canada will send you, then compete senior at nationals and see where you place and if that can get you any senior assignments in the second half.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For Conrad, since he has the senior TES minimums now, I'd aim for half-junior, half-senior. Do the JGP in the fall, maybe a Challenger if Skate Canada will send you, then compete senior at nationals and see where you place and if that can get you any senior assignments in the second half.

well they already both compete in seniors at nationals... so i guess the only difference would be to do some seniors B competition... and they should. I guess they will be in the National team (we will see what the changes mean).... and if so, they have to get out.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Conrad may just do senior next year. I'm really not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did (not commenting on what would be the right choice for him). Assuming Joseph stays junior, Conrad's nationals placement would set him up for a host spot GP possibly, since he placed higher than Nic, Roman, etc. If he got that spot, then I could see them just going full senior with 1 GP and a couple of senior B events. If he's not going to get any GPs, then I see them going JGP + senior B.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My mind has already started to turn to how the Grand Prix will shake out next fall. There'll be quite a contrast in some areas, especially dance; we had only two teams competing outside of SCI last time, but this time there'll be several. Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen are all seeded; I expect Lajoie/Lagha will end up with two, even if one is SCI host pick; I think Soucisse/Firus' world standing gives them one Grand Prix, dubious that they can get more, unfortunately.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My mind has already started to turn to how the Grand Prix will shake out next fall. There'll be quite a contrast in some areas, especially dance; we had only two teams competing outside of SCI last time, but this time there'll be several. Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen are all seeded; I expect Lajoie/Lagha will end up with two, even if one is SCI host pick; I think Soucisse/Firus' world standing gives them one Grand Prix, dubious that they can get more, unfortunately.
i thought only the first 6 were seeded....

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i thought only the first 6 were seeded....
Top ten at Worlds are guaranteed two Grand Prix events; #7-10 aren't distributed in a manner exclusive to each other in the way that #1-3 and 4-6 are (obviously, since there's four teams being distributed among six events), but they're seeded.

Gabrielle also guaranteed herself two Grand Prix events by finishing in the top twelve, in the ladies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Top ten at Worlds are guaranteed two Grand Prix events; #7-10 aren't distributed in a manner exclusive to each other in the way that #1-3 and 4-6 are (obviously, since there's four teams being distributed among six events), but they're seeded.

Gabrielle also guaranteed herself two Grand Prix events by finishing in the top twelve, in the ladies.

okay... i knew that... so it was just semantics...

Ziotic

Medalist
I think Conrad should just do a fully seniors season. He should get the host spot over Nic or Roman. Although looking now looking at it Roman will be top 24 SB so he’ll have a spot too. (He’s 25, but Javier will be removed)

I also wonder if Alaine will be back?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Conrad should just do a fully seniors season. He should get the host spot over Nic or Roman. Although looking now looking at it Roman will be top 24 SB so he’ll have a spot too. (He’s 25, but Javier will be removed)

I also wonder if Alaine will be back?

They don't remove skaters from the SB list.

nadster

Final Flight
I see both Phan and Orzel going full time senior. Both of them are in their last year of being able to compete junior internationally.

We only have 7 guaranteed JGP slots for men. Yes I am aware that we are first in line for extra spots for countries with 6 or more guaranteed spots who don't fill their quotas but at this time we don't know what we'll get from that. I remember when KAZ got 14 ladies spots on JGP and KAZ filled them all up with juvenile level ladies. So to get those extra spots , we have to hope that the other countries won't act like KAZ,

Obviously Gogolev and Kovler both deserve 2 spots as well and I can see Rakic getting 2 spots if he can develop a 3A this summer. Simply put , with only 7 JGP spots the space is not there for all these deserving skaters to get 2 spots.

I can see both Phan and Orzel getting senior B's thie year and a chance of getting a Skate Canada TBA spot ( depending on how summer comps and early senior Bs go)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to me, moving up to seniors is not just about the spots on JGP or GP... it's about development... and also possibility at the end of the year....

I don't think Jo and Conrad, with one spot for 2020 worlds, are the best pick at this point... both of them are still developing and inconsistent. They have MORE potential than some Seniors as we have seen... but it's still a bit rough here and there... the last thing i would like is for Jo to skate at home and have a LP like he had at Junior worlds...
Conrad is a bit less extreme and has more quad opportunities.. his 3a is more stable... His skating skills are not as good but improving fast and he does emote and connect better... so I could see possibilities here... but if both of them remained in juniors to develop, and did a couple series B to get their TES minimums and Seniors ranking points, that would be good enough for me.

I am pretty sure that Canada will end up with way more than 7 JGP spots.... :)