2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

millie

Medalist
Watched it Millie, ....what did you think? A a sausage fest for sure, but hey the food looked amazing. Also a couple of shout outs to Nova Scotia wine, which was great to hear. Benjamin Bridge winery, is one of the best in our province and located about 35 minutes from me. That high end restaurant in St. John's and the diner both were amazing, as was Trapper Johns for the screech in!

SarahSynchro, I think you will enjoy.

Lol, I’m a Newfoundlander and I have never been in a fishing boat and hate all kinds of fish. To be honest I don’t know any fisher people. It was an hour of free advertisement for Raymond’s Resturant in St, John’s that will set you back at least 500 dollars for a dinner for two. No one fishes in Newfoundland anymore only for a few weeks in a year. 🙂

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C/P are moving to senior this year and with breakup and teams moving up L/L have a good chance at the podium at both JGP finals and Worlds. F/M-P have to move to senior next season.

Where did you get the info that C/P are moving up to Senior? I have heard nothing to this effect. IMO, Tony Ponomarenko just turned 17 this month and is a bit young for the Senior ranks, and Christina has one more year of junior eligibility. As a couple, they are still prone to the occasional huge goof and another junior year would be a better move for them than a move up to Senior in a crowded field of US Senior skaters, none of whom seem ready to retire.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Krunchii I think skaters do have to agree to skate internationally as a junior for at least part of the season and be available later in the season for Junior Worlds. I don't think they would be stopped from competing as a senior though. The one person I know who was NextGen but skated senior all season was Alicia Pineault. But she did well enough to make it to 4CC and get her TES minimums so it wasn't a bad deal for her.

As for Lajoie/Lagha and Joseph Phan: coming 4th at Junior Worlds was just the motivation they need to stay in juniors for one more year and actually win more stuff. And with Christina Carreira confirming that C/P are moving up it's even more open in junior ice dance.

Conrad...well, I think his coaches will want him to stay junior for at least one more season. Even with all the retirements he won't be on the National Team.

Both Joseph & Conrad could do a CS event though, like Nicolas or Roman did in their last junior season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Krunchii I think skaters do have to agree to skate internationally as a junior for at least part of the season and be available later in the season for Junior Worlds. I don't think they would be stopped from competing as a senior though. The one person I know who was NextGen but skated senior all season was Alicia Pineault. But she did well enough to make it to 4CC and get her TES minimums so it wasn't a bad deal for her.

As for Lajoie/Lagha and Joseph Phan: coming 4th at Junior Worlds was just the motivation they need to stay in juniors for one more year and actually win more stuff. And with Christina Carreira confirming that C/P are moving up it's even more open in junior ice dance.

Conrad...well, I think his coaches will want him to stay junior for at least one more season. Even with all the retirements he won't be on the National Team.

Both Joseph & Conrad could do a CS event though, like Nicolas or Roman did in their last junior season.

I am pretty sure that having new coaches will mean junior circuit for Conrad... he is a wild wild horse and needs a bit taming before he can go and shine in the senior circuit.

Sarahskater

Rinkside
On the previous page the question was raised about the ladies continuing in singles skating, and related to that, for the next quad, what do you guys think Kaetlyn and Gabby need to do (if anything) on a technical level? I'm thinking especially in Gabby's case. Much as we all love her 3T-3T, if her long-term goal is to do another Olympics and to place high in the top 10, I think she really needs to get higher-value combinations. Using both of your allowed 3Ts in a single jump is effectively signing away two higher-value combinations.

For Kaetlyn, she's closer to being maxed out, but I guess the biggest thing would be to use a combination to include another 3Lz or 3Lo.

I agree that Gabby needs to incorporate more difficult 3-3 in her long. I worry about her working on a quad toe especially if her 3-3 combo remains a 3T-3T. If she attempts the quad toe and it gets downgraded then she will have too many 3Ts (downgraded quad toe and 3T-3T combo)

I don’t think Kaetlyn needs to upgrade her technical content right now because the quality of her elements and skating skills is top notch. However, if she plans to stick around for the next Olympics then she’ll definitely need a 2nd 3-3 combo

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree that Gabby needs to incorporate more difficult 3-3 in her long. I worry about her working on a quad toe especially if her 3-3 combo remains a 3T-3T. If she attempts the quad toe and it gets downgraded then she will have too many 3Ts (downgraded quad toe and 3T-3T combo)

I don’t think Kaetlyn needs to upgrade her technical content right now because the quality of her elements and skating skills is top notch. However, if she plans to stick around for the next Olympics then she’ll definitely need a 2nd 3-3 combo

downgraded doesn't mean as 3t.... it just means 4t<< but if he pops it into a triple.. then fine...

Kaetlyn doesn't need to upgrade right now but as her 3loop is getting better and better, and gets her big GOE, she could change her program... though, it wouldn't help much... for instance

3f-3t
3lutz
2a-2a sequence... which lowers the value
3f
3loop
3loop2t-2t
3s

or she can do a half loop combo.... but then in the end, it's all the same the only way would be to do 2 3flips and 2 3lutzes.... but even there... there is not much difference as a half loop combo or an axel sequence would be needed.... the only way she could upgrade is if she were able to tag a 3loop after the 2a.

Gabby : needs a few more points especially in the long.... for the reasons explained above, she only has one 3-3 and cannot use the 2a-3a... so she ends up with a costly 2a-3s sequence...

I think that if our girls could get a 3a, it would be a better investment than a quad toe considering quads are not allowed in the SP...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Where did you get the info that C/P are moving up to Senior?

Per a poster on FSU, Christina Carreira confirmed it in a response to someone else's twitter post. I haven't seen a link to the post; but if the report is accurate, then up they go. My guess is that Igor knows more than we do. (He's also short on U.S. senior teams at the moment). Carreira & Ponomarenko are guaranteed one GP spot based on World Standings. With all the teams that are confirmed out and/or are likely to be out of the GP this season, the Parsons, McNamara & Carpenter, and Carreira & Ponomarenko are climbing up the SB list. Not technically, but practically speaking. I'm estimating around #17, #20, and #27 at the moment. It's possible Carreira & Ponomarenko could get a second GP via a host spot at Skate America.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Sad really, when someone voices an opinion on a subject they know nothing about. :palmf:

To name only a few, here are some other Newfoundlanders...
Shannon Tweed - TV actress and former model, wife of Kiss band member Gene Simmons
Brad Gushue - World and Olympian Gold Curling Champion
Rick Mercer - Canadian comedian and TV star
Liam Hickey - summer and winter paralympian and medalists (hockey/basketball)
Gordon Pinsent - one of Canada's greatest movie/stage actors
Don Cole - NHL hockey announcer
Alan Doyle - singer/actor
Zita Cobb - International IT executive and social entrepreneur
Tina Maddigan - Broadway actress, played the lead role of Sophia, in Momma Mia
Dan Cleary - NHL hockey player
Allan Hawco - television/movie actor
Brad Payton - Hollywood director...movies include; San Andreas, Incarnate, Cats and Dogs
Chris Pratt - painter
David Blackwood - painter
Ron Hynes - (1950-2015) the man of 1000 songs; musician/writer whose music lives on forever
Ross Larkin - Top Chef Canada
Wayne Johnson - a best selling author including, The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, The Divine Ryans
Mary Walsh - actress, comedian, writer

Also, with most of her family still in NF, including her brother, grandmother, aunts/uncles, cousins, Kaetlyn has openly stated that NF will always be ...home.

I only knew two people on that list and I'm Canadian...Its a small province in Canada which means its no Quebec,BC or Ontario when it comes to producing internationally famous people i guess.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I only knew two people on that list and I'm Canadian...Its a small province in Canada which means its no Quebec,BC or Ontario when it comes to producing internationally famous people i guess.

Funny thing is, I am not even from there but knew all 16 in advance. Too bad if unfamiliar, ....Google can be a friend at times StephenGfan.

Like artists and musicians, as well as Rhodes Scholars, NF produces more per capita, than any other region in Canada.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Funny thing is, I am not even from there but knew all 16 in advance. Too bad if unfamiliar, ....Google can be a friend at times StephenGfan.

Like artists and musicians, as well as Rhodes Scholars, NF produces more per capita, than any other region in Canada.

@StephenGFan, Yet I knew who most of them are. Must be an age/worldly thing. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@StephenGFan, Yet I knew who most of them are. Must be an age/worldly thing. ;)

and she is American :slink:

i think it's honestly two things ... because i knew maybe 4 or 5 of them...

it's an age thing... and it's not a French Canadian thing because here, even Rick Mercer is barely known ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

it's an age thing... and it's not a French Canadian thing because here, even Rick Mercer is barely known ;)

Well, again, I'm very worldly and I love my "friends to the North." ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
US fans need to up their social media game. ;) But not you, Ic3Rabbit. You're already plugged into that world.

Autumn Classic International is confirmed as a Challenger Series event for 2018.
Who's going?

https://www.isu.org/news/80-inside-...-decision-of-the-isu-council?templateParam=15

Meagan is dishing out classy replies to salty ice dance fans: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/995422664780013573

Lance Vipond's putting together Keegan's SP: https://www.facebook.com/lancevipondchoreography/posts/1135353009940444

Registration for Minto Summer Skate opens today and runs until June 6. But there is no competition announcement up. :disapp:

cohen-esque

Final Flight

Yeah... I mean, I live in Canada, but I’ve heard of like 3 of those people, and that’s only with counting a different Chris Pratt.

Of course, so far as I’m concerned, anything past about Pitt Meadows is eastern Canada and might as well be a whole other country.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah... I mean, I live in Canada, but I’ve heard of like 3 of those people, and that’s only with counting a different Chris Pratt.

Of course, so far as I’m concerned, anything past about Pitt Meadows is eastern Canada and might as well be a whole other country.

there are several "countries" in Canada... it's great we try to be strong and one.. but sometimes, yup.. it's a bit much ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
US fans need to up their social media game. ;) But not you, Ic3Rabbit. You're already plugged into that world.

Autumn Classic International is confirmed as a Challenger Series event for 2018.
Who's going?

https://www.isu.org/news/80-inside-...-decision-of-the-isu-council?templateParam=15

Meagan is dishing out classy replies to salty ice dance fans: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/995422664780013573

Lance Vipond's putting together Keegan's SP: https://www.facebook.com/lancevipondchoreography/posts/1135353009940444

Registration for Minto Summer Skate opens today and runs until June 6. But there is no competition announcement up. :disapp:

oh wow... that woman who attacked SOI and Meagan is so dumb... i would shake her to reality lol

this is unfortunately the issue with social media, twitter especially... it has given a voice to a bunch of idiotic people who don't know real facts... and these people are then listened by others.... who cannot think properly for themselves.... so in the end, there is not much on twitter that is close to reality ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
oh wow... that woman who attacked SOI and Meagan is so dumb... i would shake her to reality lol

this is unfortunately the issue with social media, twitter especially... it has given a voice to a bunch of idiotic people who don't know real facts... and these people are then listened by others.... who cannot think properly for themselves.... so in the end, there is not much on twitter that is close to reality ;)

^^^:clapper:

millie

Medalist

If you want to put it that way, I don’t know any internationally famous people from BC, Quebec or Ontario. You must be living under a rock and not meaning Newfoundland 🙂🙂. Newfoundland and it’s people are recognized around the world...just go and see the Broadway production “Come from Away”. I bet that Anderson Cooper, Anthony Bourdain and a lot of other Americans etc, know of Newfoundland...We even have a Olympic Gold Curling Team along with a Figure Skating World Champion. Some Mainlanders are the worst...oh my...