2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In men’s, particularly, they have a certain number of spots guaranteed per event, no? But yeah, I agree, that will become a prized assignment.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I can't wait to see what stephen.G brings to the table. I can personally see him winning everything in the junior ranks. L/L have a chance to podium at the JR worlds and JGPF this season too. This is probably are strongest junior team we have had in ages.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In men’s, particularly, they have a certain number of spots guaranteed per event, no? But yeah, I agree, that will become a prized assignment.

men were fine... we had enough spots...but now one could medal at home...

it's for ladies that this will be good. Canada will be able to have more spots and we barely have any.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With all the discussion going around about the Grand Prix next year, I was thinking about what the prospects/realistic expectations are for Canada's key people:

Keegan - if he can deliver a short like he did at Worlds and do a better long program, a podium finish somewhere isn't out of the question, but he's not likely a contender beyond that.

Gabby - this is her shot at the big time. However disappointing last season was in many ways (notwithstanding the national title and Olympic gold medal, heh; when we talk about Gabby have a disappointing season, I guess it's all relative, since most skaters will never have it that good), almost everything has kind of fallen into place for her to get on at least the SCI podium and maybe make the Final. Here's hoping she can seize the moment, because while Kaetlyn may or may not come back, the ability to keep the top-tier Russians out of SCI is probably not something that will be repeated soon. The bigger challenge will be that, based on one of Alina's interviews, the Russians seem likely to be trying to get her NHK and France, which means that Gabby's second event may end up being CoR.

Kaitlyn & Andrew - suddenly back on top after a rough period. They seem pretty good for the Final, and based on their Worlds results they may be the default bronze medalists. I'm guessing that, like Gabby, they're going to get SCI and CoR (based on the assumption that P/C take NHK and France and then H/D go to SA and Korea; and the Russians will probably prefer Kaitlyn and Andrew, as they're the lowest-scoring of the top seeds and they'll be hoping Stepanova and Bukin can beat them).

Piper & Paul - seem well-situated to get their second Final ticket. Strong likelihood that their second event will be against P/C, so any hopes of outright winning will be at SCI against Kaitlyn and Andrew.

Carolane & Shane - this will be an interesting little thread to follow for me, because they're not really in the hunt for medals (I'm sure they wouldn't turn one down), so much as they'll be looking to generate momentum going into the Nationals faceoff with Laurence and Nikolaj for that all-important third berth on the Worlds/4CC team (though I think it's also possible that the Fed might split the difference and send the third-place team to Worlds and the fourth-place team to 4CC, since they have a vested interest in keeping both teams' standings up, looking ahead to potential retirements in coming years).

Julianne & Charlie - okay, so the season didn't end well (putting it mildly), but they're the only active team apart from Kaitlyn and Andrew to have won a Grand Prix event before, so that counts for something. The talent's all there, and they've, albeit inconsistently, been able to deliver on it. It wouldn't surprise me if they could make the Final, but it's an open question. Presumably they'll get an SCI invite and, I'm guessing Skate Canada will perhaps arrange to send them to NHK, since the Japanese don't have any pairs teams to protect.

Kirsten & Michael - well, they did much better at Worlds than I would have guessed given the injury that hampered them leading up to it (indeed, they got their best-ever result), so, we'll see. They've gotten a few bronze medals on the Grand Prix over the years, so some podium finishes aren't out of the question, though it's open whether they can manage more than that.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The full 2018-19 NextGen team

Men
Joseph Phan
Stephen Gogolev
Eric Liu
Conrad Orzel
Iliya Kovler
Corey Circelli
Alec Guinzbourg
Beres Clements
Brian Chiem
Aleksa Rakic

Women
Aurora Cotop
Olivia Gran
Emily Bausback
Alison Schumacher
Emily Bulawka
Hannah Dawson
Sarah-Maude Blanchard
Lissa Anne McGaghey
Victoria Bocknek
Catherine Carle
Amelia Orzel
Leah Lee
Daria Carr
Sandrine Bouchard

Pairs
Patricia Andrew/Paxton Fletcher
Gabrielle Levesque/Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Olivia Boys-Eddy/Mackenzie Boys-Eddy
Brooke McIntosh/Brandon Toste
Marine Pouliot/Alexandre Simard
Camille Perreault/Bryan Pierro

Ice dance
Natalie D'Alessandro/Bruce Waddell
Miku Makita/Tyler Gunara
Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha
Elle Fisher/Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette
Nadiia Bashynska/Peter Beaumont
Amelia Boone/Malcolm Kowan

Two sets of siblings - the Orzels and the Boys-Eddy siblings. And finally more pairs!

TGee

Record Breaker
men were fine... we had enough spots...but now one could medal at home...

it's for ladies that this will be good. Canada will be able to have more spots and we barely have any.
It actually amazing to have a JGP event in North America at all.

It's great tha BC/YK stepped up. Another reason to cheer Ted I suspect.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting that Melaurie Boivin isn't on the list. She's tagged in this photo of the girls from the Next Gen Camp: https://www.instagram.com/p/BikAzelFSFa/?hl=en&taken-by=embausback

And they had said there were 49 people on this year's Next Gen team, but without her I only count 48.

i noticed her absence as well... i am thinking that she doesn't have the hard triples??? maybe??? if i recall she had very consistend 3s and 3t... not sure if she has the loop and others..

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
@Colonel Green that was a good summary of our 2018-19 Canadian skaters to keep an eye on. There's been so much going on at once that I haven't kept up with GP predictions. I appreciate your post. I'm really hoping Julianne and Charlie kick some butt next season. They have too much potential to be lounging in 22nd or even 9th in an international field.

Speaking of kicking butt, it looks like Keegan is ready to do just that. Beast mode has been activated. :yes2:

https://www.facebook.com/lancevipondchoreography/videos/1152734154868996/

synteis

Medalist
Oh wow that's so exciting re: Keagan!! Now I'm especially pumped for his upcoming season. Hoping to see positive GOEs on his 4T and new 4Lz at SCI. Go forth and break into podium contention, Keagan.

TGee

Record Breaker
@Colonel Green that was a good summary of our 2018-19 Canadian skaters to keep an eye on. There's been so much going on at once that I haven't kept up with GP predictions. I appreciate your post. I'm really hoping Julianne and Charlie kick some butt next season. They have too much potential to be lounging in 22nd or even 9th in an international field.

Speaking of kicking butt, it looks like Keegan is ready to do just that. Beast mode has been activated. :yes2:

https://www.facebook.com/lancevipondchoreography/videos/1152734154868996/
Wish I could see this.

Not sure why, but it's insisting I log into Facebook to see the gif. Don't usually have this issue if it is a public page.

(I made a decision a long time ago not to use Facebook and am glad for it. )

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wish I could see this.

Not sure why, but it's insisting I log into Facebook to see the gif. Don't usually have this issue if it is a public page.

(I made a decision a long time ago not to use Facebook and am glad for it. )

I have this problem all the time. If I click "not now" the big sign in screen turns into a strip at the bottom of the page. Sometimes it covers half the screen, which is a real pain, but if I zoom out, it gets smaller.

TGee

Record Breaker
I have this problem all the time. If I click "not now" the big sign in screen turns into a strip at the bottom of the page. Sometimes it covers half the screen, which is a real pain, but if I zoom out, it gets smaller.
Yup, I used to do that too.

But today my choices are only login or "create new account" ...

Sigh

theblade

On the Ice
That's great news about the fund for skaters! Toller's legacy should never be forgotten; this is a great way to keep it alive in the changing face of the sport.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The Toller Cranston Award isn't new though? I distinctly recall Corey Circelli, Natalie, and Bruce receiving it last year at COS' ice show. Oh well, they get some free skates from this. Good for them.

The events page has been updated to add JGP Vancouver.
https://skatecanada.ca/event-schedule/

Actually looking at this outdated PDF I see that JGP Vancouver is a week earlier than the previously planned JGP Harbin. But it would have been quite a challenge to have both a JGP and a Challenger series event in the same week in the same country.

The ISU shared this photo of Haley Sales and Nikolas Wamsteeker as part of a series on pink costumes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkBJwq6juuK/

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
anyone know if Lajoie/Lagha going to be seniors or not?
I belatedly remembered that nobody responded to this, but in any event: they're staying juniors, as far as anybody knows.

I don't see what they'd gain by going senior now. As juniors they can try to snag some medals. The Canadian senior ice dance field is so clogged right now, even with V/M gone, that they wouldn't get to any major international competition.