2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, we didn't see any benefits at this competition, very unstable skate. Maybe it would be a benefit if she sticks to her own coaches, instead of running back and forth. We don't want to see another Chartrand

well... two of us just saw benefits, even chuckm mentioned her grace and lightness on the ice... so for a few of us on this thread, there is a renewed part to Aurora's skating.

Also : to address your second sentence, almost all skaters go to summer camp and learn from other coaches... it's very common...and at least, in her case, she is going to a good one.

Finally, while you are at it : most of these junior girls HOPE that one day, they will get at least the success of a girl like Alaine : being National champion, winning a grand prix medal and making the world team a couple times.... I think Aurora can do even better than that, but if you were to ask our junior skaters, I m pretty sure they see Alaine as a role model and not a failure.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dropping by to holler a shout-out at all my friends in the Canadian Mafia.

When the time comes to share those bootleg links to blocked live feeds....

Remember who has two thumbs and loves you: This guy!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
well... two of us just saw benefits, even chuckm mentioned her grace and lightness on the ice... so for a few of us on this thread, there is a renewed part to Aurora's skating.

Also : to address your second sentence, almost all skaters go to summer camp and learn from other coaches... it's very common...and at least, in her case, she is going to a good one.

Finally, while you are at it : most of these junior girls HOPE that one day, they will get at least the success of a girl like Alaine : being National champion, winning a grand prix medal and making the world team a couple times.... I think Aurora can do even better than that, but if you were to ask our junior skaters, I m pretty sure they see Alaine as a role model and not a failure.

Thanks 4EC for clarifying and hopefully alleviating the concerns of some worried posters ;) It's comforting to know that Aurora is working with Ravi, if only for a few months. I don't know if I can think of anyone better to consult than the coach of the reigning World Champion and #1 ranked lady in the ISU standings. As I mentioned previously, we have a wealth of great coaches in Canada, who were instrumental in Canada's Team Gold. Canadian skaters have the privilege to learn from the best here. In addition to the role models in the ladies' field, there's many prominent female role models in the other disciplines as well: Tessa Virtue, Kaitlyn Weaver, Meagan Duhamel, just to name a few.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Dropping by to holler a shout-out at all my friends in the Canadian Mafia.

When the time comes to share those bootleg links to blocked live feeds....

Remember who has two thumbs and loves you: This guy!

For sure TontoK, we will def. keep this in mind. Also if it possible, we would love to have more NBC Olympics prime with Tara and Johnny, as blocked on this side of the border. Thanks!

mrrice

Record Breaker
With Patrick's retirement do you all feel that Keegan is Canada's #1 Man?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
With Patrick's retirement do you all feel that Keegan is Canada's #1 Man?

Yes, although I heard that Kevin Reynolds might be back for one more year. He could contest him, but the key word is "could" LOL, not necessarily will. Same with Nam.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is a hard struggle right now in Canada. On the positive side in each discipline new teams or teams or skaters in the background have the chance to shine. But there are huge shoes to fill. And Weaver and Poje and Osmond quite honestly are not in the best position should they come back in being competitive sharp.

I admire Keegan. He rose to the occasion at Worlds and was solid as well at the World's. He isn't young but with Nam not reaching his potential once believed, Reynolds is definitely coming back but a huge question mark as he finishes school too. Liam retired so you have the youngsters (younger than Nam I guess lol) ready to move up but I am not sure they are going to help the team much - Stephen G being the exception but probably 4 years away still.

A lot rests on Gabby. Alaine has a relatively easy road to get a world spot especially if Kaetlyn fails to return this year. But then again it was her's to lose and on a lark Larkyn got the third spot. Sadly Larkyn is not competitive on the world scene despite being given two shots at oly's and world's.

In dance they are now down to their third team. But they have two up and coming teams - the CanaDanes and S and F. Gilles and Porier need to get it together. Canada might not have anyone in the GP Finals - though Gabby, MTM and M could sneak in.

The pairs is really wide open. Kristen and Michel need to continue to grow and he especially needs to make sure he gets good technique and strength to do the lifts and twists.

The Japanese created and "biased" World Team Trophy could be quite a nightmare for Canada. Canada would really need to hope Keegan continues his upward swing (and he looks vulnerable with the quads), the second man (Reynolds or Nam- have both been top ten) needs to come through and Gabby would have to really pick up her game and try to regain her 2017 form and Kaetlyn would have to return in decent shape.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It is a hard struggle right now in Canada...

Hey Skater Boy, it's always great to wake up in the morning and read your bimonthly ramblings on the state of our skaters ;). I'm glad to see that you have recovered from the shock of S/B's split, and feel slightly more optimistic on the outlook of Canadian figure skaters. I don't agree with much of your analysis but am glad that you see some potential for some up and comers to shine. We'll talk again in another few weeks, when more skaters have a chance to debut their programs at GTSA Summer Skate, Championnats québecois d'été, and on the JGP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
once again, half empty glass vision...

Here is my half full glass vision

Dance : Weapo are continuing.. they have said so. They are getting the programs they need to do so. They simply couldn't miss such an opportunity as the Thank you Canada Tour.... they have NEVER been in the judges favour... even when they'd show up at GPF and win it... at worlds, they wouldn't... so who cares??? They will show up later, and place wherever they will place... many thought they were done after V/M came back... and that they would linger around 5 or 6th in the world : oh well... SNAP with a World's bronze. Considering the Shibs will be absent ....I don't see why they would end up outside of the final flight... there, anything can happen.

G&P : they have been living in the shadow... fair enough .. but this fall, they will be shining. They have a good chance at finishing 2nd at both their GP events which would mean GPF. Judges have liked them... they are a good team.... we will have to see how their elements accumulate positive GOE as I think that the fact that they are always so well trained and skated so effortlessly before made it look too easy... it will be the opposite here with the new system as skating effortlessly is a mandatory bullet point.

How can we not be excited about Laurence and Nkolaj? They have grown tremendously over the last few years... worlds at home for Laurence in 2020... finally having the chance to compete, they are certainly shooting for 2022.... very promising. Nikolaj is an amazing partner and they have everything it takes to make up ground.

Soucisse Firus have less pressure now to become the top dogs and can continue to develop instead of having to shoot for the top. I think that there are still learning as they are so young in the ice dance world and they will be a top team soon enough...

Let's not forget Lajoie and Lagha... and WOW at the new junior teams... There are not many countries in the world that has the depth in dance that Canada has...

Do i need to continue??? My glass is already overflowing.

Let's calm things down talking about pairs. Well : every 4 years, after the Olympics, there is a low. It's just the cycle. Seguin/Bilodeau split was unexpected... I will give you that... but look what happened when Dylan and Kirsten (it's not Kristen btw) split after Sochi.... many of you, half empty glass people said it was the end of everything... well we got two new very valuable teams : Dylan and Lubov were the ones winning 3 spots for Canada at Helsinki... and MTM2.0 placed very well at worlds this year... considering that many teams are sitting out, injured, retired or have split, I can see MTM2.0 in the GPF. It is their year to shine AND it was ALWAYS part of the plan : Kirsten wanted to be there for 2022 knowing that the first 4 years would be building blocks... and then the last quad would be on attack mode. A career, at this level, is finely planned out. I used to cringe when I would see Michael lift.... not anymore. He has grown tremendously. Sure, the retirements and splits have left Canada fragile here but most country would love to have at least ONE good team... we do have that. We will see what Walsh and Michaud can do in seniors. We will see if Drew and Camille get the one piece missing to their puzzle ( a good twist) and more importantly, we will see how the new split brings on two new teams (or not) to the scene.

Ladies : Kaetlyn was having a new short done... so she is not retiring. At least, she is not, at this moment planning to retire. SO there. Gabby is working hard. Alaine has new motivation and a new coach YAY! Larkyn has shown a clip in which she looked fabulous. Perhaps having that berth was beyond her expectations and ruined it for her last year.. I agree, despite having seen her land gorgeous jumps (3s3t, 3f) she has struggled after nationals...

I wouldn't worry so much as well, the top 3 is still strong... and we have a couple young girls who are developing and could become stars. I am thinking about Aurora Cotop and also one we don't talk about much Sarah Maude Blanchard who has both good flips and lutzes... she is just starting to do better on the junior scene as a late bloomer. There are a few others as well and I believe it could be Alicia Pineault's year. Veronik is also coming back though I don't expect her to be in top shape after two years out...

Men : yes... Patrick left with big shoes to fill.. That's only because not a lot of skaters win worlds 3 years in a row and accumulate 3 olympic medals... yes... we have been blessed to have such a wonderful skater... but Canada isn't Spain... Javier gone... not much left there... Patrick gone : Keeagan intends to keep skating as long as he can, Kevin wants to keep going... Nam seems to have a healthier for him coaching arrangement, his programs are really nice this year....and those are the old boys....

Do not forget that between them and Gogo, there are some young dudes still able to make a name for themselves. Conrad has improved his skating tremendously. Joseph had a first rough summer outing but it was better than other years and he gets better as the season goes... hie new short is wonderful... there two guys with Nic and perhaps Bennet could fill in the gap from the older ones mentioned above and Gogo... IMHO we won't have to wait four years to have success with the men....

Finally : who cares about World Team Trohpy??? It's a fluff event to boost skating in Japan... with rules that make sure they will win ;) really....as a Canadian, I can tell you that I only care about the one team event that is presented at the Olympics... all the rest, Japan Open WTT and the hilarious WTC is just there to give skaters another chance to compete and earn big money. YAY.

I served you a glass half full... up to you to take it over your half empty one.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I do think it is usually a matter of perspective taken on events like 4everchan said.

Some years will have multiple naturally gifted skaters who show that they're predestined to a quick success, some will have less of them, BUT then a bunch of hard working, young people determined to progress in their right time. Some will succeed, some will not, but again - it is a matter what we do consider as a success; for some, it would be winning everything, for some it will be a constant progress even without significant results. I mean - this 'golden era', 'golden team' of Canadian skater did not produce themselves overnight, it was a mix of talent, hard work, persistence, patience and luck. I do believe that e.g. Tessa/Scott's determination in returning after 2-year break, how they re-shaped the Olympic season, Meagan/Eric's competitive drive and pushing their skating forward against all odds or Kaetlyn's so successful comeback after major injury serve as an inspiring stuff to a young generation of Canadian skaters; they should pay attention to HOW they achieve it all, in what circumstances, with what approach taken, not only to results. So do we sometimes - everything is a matter of perspective, especially road to certain results, good or worse.

I think that this defeatism-like thinking could be sourced from constant comparing skaters from X country to skaters from Y/Z countries. Every country has its own way of raising skaters, developing them, I think that for me the most important would be to match the approach to a skater, not exactly following any trend or condemn any method. Some are comfortable being pushed harder in their abilities, some need more time.

This 'void' is an obvious thing, especially after such Olympics Canada had in figure skating. It was mostly a whole generation who worked for past quad or much more than that. I'd say give some time to youngsters and some credit before stripping the whole new field entering the scene from any chance. For me, they are yet to show the fruits of potential, at least some of them.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^, ^^ well said you two, but I'm afraid some posters already have set views and opinions that it is very difficult to convince them otherwise. The first time I have read some of these posts, I was astounded by the diction used but the more I read them, the more desensitized I become. Why bother spending so much time and effort to respond to provocation? We know what the Canadian skaters have achieved and their vast potential; some people just choose to turn a blind eye.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
In Canadian men there is also Roman Sadovsky. I really loved his last year programs, but he struggled a bit with stamina as the LP was very demanding.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In Canadian men there is also Roman Sadovsky. I really loved his last year programs, but he struggled a bit with stamina as the LP was very demanding.

see one more good example... Sorry I forgot to mention him... Roman looks finally like he has done his growing up... he was awkward looking with his new body the last couple years and now, he is a tall, strong young man. I doubt he will lack stamina this year.... looking forward to seeing him at Skate Canada

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We still have surprisingly little program information for most of Canada’s top Grand Prix competitors — Kirsten and Michael being the main exception. Piper and Paul are going to be performing theirs at a club event on Friday, so we’ll soon learn what all the Van Gogh hints are about.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^, ^^ well said you two, but I'm afraid some posters already have set views and opinions that it is very difficult to convince them otherwise. The first time I have read some of these posts, I was astounded by the diction used but the more I read them, the more desensitized I become. Why bother spending so much time and effort to respond to provocation? We know what the Canadian skaters have achieved and their vast potential; some people just choose to turn a blind eye.

Agreed BillNeal! I am done responding to such negativity from a certain poster. Their previous declarations of the predicted demise of Canadian skating the previous 2 seasons, are laughable given the end results this past quad. In the interim the sky has yet to fall, nor will it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For sure TontoK, will we def. keep this in mind. Also if it possible, we would love to have more NBC Olympics prime with Tara and Johnny, as blocked on this side of the border. Thanks!

I'm reading you loud and clear, but I have to be upfront. We're going to have to find a smart person on this side of the border who can do this. It's not me. LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agreed BillNeal! I am done responding to such negativity from a certain poster. Their previous declarations of the demise of Canadian skating are laughable given the end results this past quad. In the interim the sky has yet to fall, nor will it.

well you both have inspired me... this was my last response to these who always come by to give us a negative review of everything Canadian ... a few months ago, I felt a bit sad that the Canadian Golden Age of skating was retiring... but then... with all the new kids coming up and doing well WOW... i am excited to discover new talent !

Ziotic

Medalist
Just think, with good skating and a little luck half of the JGPF slots for men could be Canadian!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just think, with good skating and a little luck half of the JGPF slots for men could be Canadian!

I would love that, as I am going, but it's always wise not to count you JGP final spots before they are earned!