2018 GP Helsinki GP Pairs Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki GP Pairs Short Program

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Interesting turn of events overall, shame there wasn't a team who was clean on all the elements. The free will be interesting.

I'm going to take a shower, see you for the ladies!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Not related to pairs really, but I can't believe this livestream has slipped me into another dimension by making me watch synchro skating about Transformers complete with Optimus Prime voiceover.

Am I dead? Is this heaven? Or...hell?

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I kind of love how Halloween and kitschy the whole thing is. I don't think they're the right pair for it, but considering they are usually bland/unmemorable...I think this is an improvement?
Last year they pulled off that flap of fabric at one point for an unknown reason.?...?..
They are trying.
I just like them and want them to do so much better.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I certainly hope that all people, especially athletes, try to eat as healthy as possible for their own good. It was the way the commentator said it that I found offensive.
A healthy drive trough would be great!

A drive thru salad bar would be hilarious. If I win big money I'm going to set one up just for the laughs.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Not related to pairs really, but I can't believe this livestream has slipped me into another dimension by making me watch synchro skating about Transformers complete with Optimus Prime voiceover.

Am I dead? Is this heaven? Or...hell?

That depends.... Did you see any signs saying "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"? Did you get on any boats with a ferryman who demands payment before you get on? Remember the wise words of Chris Deburg: Don't pay the ferryman til he gets you to the other side.."

Damn.. Now I want to hear that song..off to youtube.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think Natalia is beautiful.. I just hope she tones down the eyemake up because she is getting a bit posh spice like.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ther German Eurosport commentators were very rude by the way. They said that Natalia looked as if she's never visited a McDonald's ...

What does that mean?

That she's too skinny (with the implication that it's unattractive). It was gross of him to say.

Erm, I don't know the context of where it was said, but when I read psusanne's comment, I thought it was a reference to the costume. Because I remember a McDonalds advert from about 20 years ago which featured costumes that were very similar to what Natalja was wearing. Except that they were in bright colours (yellow and red) rather than grey.

Maybe I'm being naïve. They could have been implying that she was too skinny. But that was my first thought when I read that comment.

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think Natalia is beautiful.. I just hope she tones down the eyemake up because she is getting a bit posh spice like.
I really think she is his shield in this program. So dark dramatic eye make up seems appropriate.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Erm, I don't know the context of where it was said, but when I read psusanne's comment, I thought it was a reference to the costume. Because I remember a McDonalds advert from about 20 years ago which featured costumes that were very similar to what Natalja was wearing. Except that they were in bright colours (yellow and red) rather than grey.

Maybe I'm being naïve. They could have been implying that she was too skinny. But that was my first thought when I read that comment.

CaroLiza_fan

It definitely wasn’t a reference to an old advert. “Eat a cheeseburger” is a relatively common phrase said to those others find to be too thin and anoretics. People with no concept of nutrition and how to regain weight when underweight often suggest eating fast food due to it being calorie-dense, not understanding that that could cause a number of issues (sudden over-feeding can be lethal, but it’s more likely to be an issue related to inability to digest and absorb standard fast food fare, which makes the whole idea moot). Because people assume “extra calories / assumes metabolism + exercise = expected weight gain,” they think it’s an easy fix by simply... eating high calorie food. Which, in terms of numbers, it is, but it’s also not a solution for the underweight. (And weight gain is not actually an equation.)

The comment was 100% a comment on her body. She’s slim and has long limbs, and her face isn’t “soft”/cute (she is gorgeous, however), which probably makes her seem even thinner. Regardless, it was a common phrase meant to convey that she’s so thin she actually should eat a cheeseburger/fast food... the whole point of invoking McDonald’s is that it’s bad for you and fattening and not something to indulge in, so to suggest someone to eat there is to say they are too thin.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It definitely wasn’t a reference to an old advert. “Eat a cheeseburger” is a relatively common phrase said to those others find to be too thin and anoretics. People with no concept of nutrition and how to regain weight when underweight often suggest eating fast food due to it being calorie-dense, not understanding that that could cause a number of issues (sudden over-feeding can be lethal, but it’s more likely to be an issue related to inability to digest and absorb standard fast food fare, which makes the whole idea moot). Because people assume “extra calories / assumes metabolism + exercise = expected weight gain,” they think it’s an easy fix by simply... eating high calorie food. Which, in terms of numbers, it is, but it’s also not a solution for the underweight. (And weight gain is not actually an equation.)

The comment was 100% a comment on her body. She’s slim and has long limbs, and her face isn’t “soft”/cute (she is gorgeous, however), which probably makes her seem even thinner. Regardless, it was a common phrase meant to convey that she’s so thin she actually should eat a cheeseburger/fast food... the whole point of invoking McDonald’s is that it’s bad for you and fattening and not something to indulge in, so to suggest someone to eat there is to say they are too thin.

Oh, don't worry, I realise all that could be taken from what was said. But, I was just adding what my initial thought was when I read it, and what was said could actually be totally innocent if looked at from a different angle.

It just goes to show that you have to be so careful with what you say, because different people can interpret the exact same thing in totally different ways.

CaroLiza_fan

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

CaroLiza_fan
Interesting. Maybe he meant that ...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Now what was that? Barquero & Maestu get styled as the next Marchei/Hotarek? Not quite there and maybe not quite the way to go for them. With both of the worst pairs sleeping pills, Della Monica/Guarise and Zabiiako/Enbert, topping the roster, I did not expect much, but the Russians woke me up with their Medieval battle. Positively different and for once the choreo actually had something to do with the music. I just did not get why it ended with the end of Ravel's Bolero...

E

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are the Italians and the Australians (who aren't here this week) both skating to the same overblown cover of INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart"?

The original is the best, IMO.

I liked Z/E's program, shame he fell on the SBS.