2018 GP Helsinki Pairs Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Pairs Free Skate

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Anything. Hell, throw into a random snippet of Rhapsody in Blue to break up the plodding.

They look so chic. I was trying to ignore the obvious cross on her costume and was hoping they were skating some really nuevo wavo or techno program. Something really adventurous. Now that would really stretch them.

It's the first year of the new Olympic cycle. Take chances.

I totally see them pulling 'Dracula' score by Glass or 'Bells of Moscow', something with drama flair and structure that won't come out flat...

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I don’t think all GP are Russian friendly. But Russia is partially part of Europe too, they do go to Europeans after all, not 4CC

I just don’t think there is complete solidarity within Europe. The Italians just had a pretty big lead going in. It’s also not like the judge know what score they would need to put them ahead and for all 9 to sit an conspire to do so.

Well, i'm not saying judges manipulated the results to put Italians in second, because i'm aware they simply can't do that. I'm just saying that GPs in European countries like Finland, Germany, Italy, France are EU countries friendly, knowing that Russia already has GP in their country and is not a part of EU. EDIT: And i'm living in Europe, i understand that. So take it as a fact or don't :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
On predictions note - third GP, third score of 65 pts:laugh: and third time top 4 predicted correctly!

Edit - it is actually 70 pts :eek:

gold12345

Medalist
That felt like a kind score for Zabijako/Enbert. They were the class of this field, but this wasn't their best. Aside from the fall, the throw flip was shaky, the twist didn't have a great catch, the program kind of plodded along (at least it wasn't a warhorse ballet though).

Peng/Jin, Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Boikova/Kozlovskii must be rueful watching this. The first two would have won gold here with their SCI scores, the third would have easily taken silver.

Yeah the fields seem lopsided. P/J, M-T/M, and Z/E are all in the same event next week.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Thank for pointing out the Austrian fed... It’s such a shame about that lift, but even so, they probably wouldn’t have landed on the podium. They’ve gotten so much better..

I am very impressed with their progress. I am a fan of Miriam and Severin.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I see Sui/Han in P/K- not necessarily in style, but they(well, particularly Sui :p) were a mess at P/K's age with some impressive technical tricks but sloppy SS, etc. and a lot of people hated them. But you could see something special.

Or, I'm just biased and have no clue what I'm talking about.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is interesting reading these posts. You would think it is "obvious" when a team has a bomb of a program but obviously coaches and skaters have different opinions. I have no idea why Tarasova and Morozov do those programs which don't seem to suit them and shows their weaknesses or doesn't highlight their strengths but someone knows better. it was close for second. I hear the uproar about the htird place team not beating the Italians. The Italians had the lead and deservedly better pcs. But they are no Yuna Kim or Patrick Chan but whatever it was close. The young Russian team will beat them if the continue progressing at this rate. The italians had their chance to win and this is their year. The perfect mix. Sui and han out right now, retirements and splits and Tarasova and Moroav struggling with dreadful programs leaving the gold for the French and the Italians to sneak on the podium - but this is a team that also cold be shockingly horrific as well. It will be interesting. Not necessarily the best skating but interesting.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Maybe. Still, it shouldn't be manipulated like that. I was wishing Italians well, really. I picked them for winners in GP predictions. But they should be third today.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on the results being off. Just that I highly doubt "political correctness" is the reason why.

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello all.

Pairs medals have been announced on Helsinki thread! Go over and check them out :)

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Sorry but this is completely unfair!

I have to agree. Della Monica/Guarise were too messy today, for deserve those components.

At least to me, on a good performance it's normal now to see them way ahead on that score over Pavliuchenko/Khodykin. You can clearly see why on the short.

But today... :eek:hwell:

When i have pick my prediction i have think about that. At first i want to put Pavliuchenko/Khodykin on the 2°, because they are technically already ahead to many pairs, but then i've got scared by their PCS score at the Finlandia Trophy, and switch them. Judges still don't see them as seniors.

Still, if we talk about pairs on GP debut, Boikova/Kozlovskii impressed me way more at Skate Canada. I think their PCS can grow more this year than what Pavliuchenko/Khodykin can gain.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Finally watched the pairs, my thoughts:

- Ryom/Kim is using the same programs for three seasons straight, but NK is NK and the programs suit them so I'm not that bothered by it. Not their 100%, but fine job.

- I thought the Japanese pair was having a bad day, and then Stellato/Bartholomay came and popped their jumps... Sad business.

- Ziegler/Kiefer... I was quite into the Hello part (lovely SBS jump combo and throw 3F), and then the music suddenly changed and things started to fall apart. What a pity.

- Pavliuchenko/Khodykin's program isn't really to my taste, but technically very strong (minus one wobbly lift). Fair enough for bronze.

- Z/E's programs aren't really to my taste this season, and unfortunately this was far from their best skate. I'm still waiting for them to sell the progrsm to me.

- I strongly disagree with Della Monica/Guarise's costumes. Messy jumps aside, I wasn't into the program that much.

Underwhelming to be honest, I guess the aura of the men were too strong to have great pair skating as well.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
- Ryom/Kim is using the same programs for three seasons straight, but NK is NK and the programs suit them so I'm not that bothered by it. Not their 100%, but fine job.

Seriously? I knew it was same as last year. I didnt realize this is season 3 of that.. Wow.. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is?.