2018 JGP Kaunas Cup Rhythm Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Kaunas Cup Rhythm Dance

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I've been close to nodding off while watching, I've got to take a short nap before the ladies' FS.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m unable to watch any of today’s events but I gotta say Dorris is nailing this PBP. Each time I check in I’m amazed :bow:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've been out, so only got to see the Browns based on Doris commentary (YAY!) and wow, I can't believe the polish and expression they already have at 13 and 15. They definitely need more power and speed, but so impressive for them to get in the final group at their very first JGP! :)

Also, it's nice to see a sibling team not be intimidated by expressing themselves in the tango. I think the tension of power worked for them here.

PS -- here's a close-up video of them practicing in Lake Placid a few months back!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWNzKRFJq7/?taken-by=oniceperspectives

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wonder how many more couple arguments are going to result when they are marking them separately. I one gets a 4 and the other a 1 that is going to be a ugly conversation.

Would it be ID without the

:drama:

ETA: Oh the thought if they had this scoring back in the days of Fusar-Poli and Margarlio, I would kill to be a fly on the wall after they see their protocols. A chorus please of That's En-ter-tain-ment!!!!!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just saw Ushakova / Nekrasov now. I have weak spot for those two since Junior Worlds. I liked their choreo and I'm glad they continue with their little extraordinary attitude, even if that is it's too much for someone. Not to mention their technical skills, which are amazing. I think they received highest score for RD this season.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just saw Ushakova / Nekrasov now. I have weak spot for those two since Junior Worlds. I liked their choreo and I'm glad they continue with their little extraordinary attitude, even if that is it's too much for someone. Not to mention their technical skills, which are amazing. I think they received highest score for RD this season.

Technically they're amazing. But the music cuts are so jumpy and the program is so uhm angular and determined to wow you with all its tricks that it just freezes out any emotional connection with the audience. Admiration is not affection.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Technically they're amazing. But the music cuts are so jumpy and the program is so uhm angular and determined to wow you with all its tricks that it just freezes out any emotional connection with the audience. Admiration is not affection.

It depends on personal taste, when I like something, that doesn't mean its the rule.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I've been out, so only got to see the Browns based on Doris commentary (YAY!) and wow, I can't believe the polish and expression they already have at 13 and 15. They definitely need more power and speed, but so impressive for them to get in the final group at their very first JGP! :)

Also, it's nice to see a sibling team not be intimidated by expressing themselves in the tango. I think the tension of power worked for them here.

PS -- here's a close-up video of them practicing in Lake Placid a few months back!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWNzKRFJq7/?taken-by=oniceperspectives

Mrs. P, Thanks for the video! And..have you found a new sibling team to replace Shibsibs when they retire? :love:

Yes, that is the highest Junior RD score I have seen. The top senior RD so far was the Parsons.

Here are the top Junior scores to date:

2 64.39 Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV RUS ISU JGP Bratislava 2018
3 64.26 Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO RUS ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018
4 63.95 Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018

Today's top two:

1 Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV RUS 67.63 35.71 31.92 7.86 7.79 8.04 8.07 8.14 0.00 #8

2 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA 63.40 34.03 29.37 7.21 7.07 7.43 7.50 7.50 0.00 #12

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P, Thanks for the video! And..have you found a new sibling team to replace Shibsibs when they retire? :love:

You know, it did cross my mind that their skating skills was very reminiscent of the Shibs around that age. :) Also the Skating Club of NY connection!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3cIut9RKI#t=12m45s

The nice thing with the Browns is that they're closer in age, so they won't have those big height differences the Shibs dealt with during their growing years (or I hope they won't...)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love their matched red hair! Gorgeous.

(Finding a shallow puddle to wade in, just my depth.) :slink:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So I'm going to complain now: Why did the ISU have to give Tango to both Jrs and Seniors in the same season? I love tangos but I'm going to be so sick of them by the end of the season. Why not give a different pattern to jrs? I think the jrs would really enjoy blues/hiphop.

It's hard enough for dancers to compete at both the senior and junior level with different patterns. At least when they both have a tango, they can adapt the program. And while it is fairly uncommon for dancers to compete at both the junior & senior level during the same season, it does happen when a country has an open spot at 4CCs, Europeans, or Worlds. And junior dancers should have the ability & option to earn Challenger points to help them make the GP the following season just like the singles & pairs skaters do. It is still very uncommon for junior teams to do this, but at least having the same rhythm makes it possible. And with the base value going up so much in seniors over the past three seasons it could be a necessary path for teams.

Are the American really 13/15?

I would assume so. The Browns are just up out of novices last year. And just up out of intermediates the year before. They are the biggest surprise on the U.S. junior scene this year, as last season they finished 5th in novices (3rd in the novice FD). Which was actually way up the ranks from the season before when they were last/12th in intermediates (took a fall). Had a breakthrough, though, last season by winning the novice event at Eastern Sectionals (which is generally the toughest to win). I think the tango is B&B's stronger program this season, but they held their spot in the FD during the domestic competition at Lake Placid and by doing so, earned their way into the International Selection Pool and onto the JGP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ice Dance, I have never before heard of the Brown's coach, Mr. Lawrik. Do you know anything about him?

He has done a very, very good job with Brown's.