Untere Donaulände 11, 4020 Linz, Austria
Phone: +43 732 943434

Aug 29 - Sep 01, 2018

Rhythm Dance
Thursday, August 30, 2018, 14:00 CEST UTC +2

Time in Other Places

No.NameNation
1Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI
RD: Tango: "Scent of a woman" by Thomas Newman; Tango: "Otra Luna" by Narcotango; Tango: "Scent of a woman" by Thomas Newman; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
FD: Lady Gaga selection; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
AUS
2Corinna HUBER / Patrik HUBER
RD: Tango: "Tango en Ebony;" Paso Doble: "Tango en Ebony - Paso Doble; Tango: "Tango en Ebony;" choreo by Dmitri Sildoja, Mariana Kozlova
FD: "Juliet's Dream" (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Abel Korzeniowski; "The Cheek of Night" (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Abel Korzeniowski; choreo by Dmitri Sildoja, Mariana Kozlova
AUT
WDMarina PHILIPPOVA / Vadym KRAVTSOVAUT
3Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL
RD: Argentine Tango: "Querer" by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil); Tango: "Toreado" by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil); choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
FD: "Malaguena" by Ernesto Lecuona; Carmen Suite by Rodion Shchedrich; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
CAN
4Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA
RD: Tango: "Perro Viejo" performed by Otros Aires; Tango: "Otro Puente Alsina" performed by Otros Aires; Tango: "Essa" performed by Otros Aires; choreo by R. Haguenauer, G. Cournoyer, M.F. Dubreuil
FD: "Warsaw Concerto" by Richard Addinsell; choreo by R. Haguenauer, G. Cournoyer, M.F. Dubreuil
CAN
5Xizi CHEN / Jianing XING
RD: Tango: "La Cumparsita;" choreo by Jamie White, Xun Zheng
FD: "Caught Out in the Rain" by Beth Hart; "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen; choreo by Jamie White, Xun Zheng
CHN
6Lou TERREAU / Noe PERRON
RD: Tango: "Au suivant" by Siri Vlk; Tango: "Ma chanson des vieux amants" performed by Novafonic Orchestra; choreo by Karine Arribert-Narce
FD: "Dance of the Sugar; " "Porz goret" by Yann Tiersen; "Dance of the Sugar; " choreo by Karine Arribert-Narce
FRA
7Charise MATTHAEI / Maximilian PFISTERER
RD: Flamenco: "Spanish Flame" by Maxime Rodriguez; Argentine Tango: "Tango d'Amor;" Flamenco: "Farrucas" by Pepe Romero; choreo by Stefano Caruso, Barbara Fusar Poli
FD: "This World Will Remember Me" by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; "How 'bout A Dance" (reprise) by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; "This World Will Remember Us" by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; choreo by Stefano Caruso, Barbara Fusar Poli
GER
8Alice ROGATNIK / Yehor BARSHAK
RD: Flamenco: "Corazon;" Tango: "Tango de Besame;" choreo by Maria Tumanovska-Chaika, Anaid Konair
FD: "Story of Chess" (from "Chess" musical soundtrack) by Bjoern Andersson; "Prolog" by Bjoern Andersson; "Where I Want to Be" by Bjoern Andersson, performed by Josh Groban; choreo by Maria Tumanovska-Chaika, Anaid Konair
ISR
9Sara CAMPANINI / Francesco RIVA
RD: Tango: "Ejemplos de Percusion" by Color Tango; Tango: "Ventarron" by Color Tango; Tango: "A los Amigos" performed by Orquestra Forever; choreo by Matteo Zanni
FD: "Be Italian" (from "Nine") performed by Fergie; choreo by Matteo Zanni
ITA
10Eva KUTS / Dmitrii MIKHAILOV
RD: Tango: "Prelude and Ricercare" performed by Nuevo Tango Orchestra; choreo by Sergei Plishkin, Ekaterina Vinogradova
FD: "Every Other Freckle" by alt-J; choreo by Sergei Plishkin, Ekaterina Vinogradova
RUS
11Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO
RD: Tango: La Cumparsita; choreo by Alena Samarskaia
FD: "Intro" by Onuka; "Witchdoctor" by Camo & Krooked; "Lijo" by Alina Orlova; choreo by Alena Samarskaia
RUS
12Sophia ELDER / Christopher ELDER
RD: "Tango Classico by Earl Klugh; "Tango Sensual" by Gotan Project; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Fabian Bourzat
FD: "Halo Theme" performed by Lindsey Sterling; "Piano Fantasy" by William Joseph; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Fabian Bourzat
USA
13Jocelyn HAINES / James KOSZUTA
RD: Tango: "Sentimientos" by Andres Linetzky, Ernesto Romeo; Tango: "Sweet Dream" (Are Made of This) performed by Tanghetto; choreo by Carly Donowick, Joel Dear, Christian Erwin
FD: "Tennessee" (from "Pearl Harbour" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; "Brothers" (from "Pearl Harbour" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; "War" (from "Pearl Harbour" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; choreo by Carly Donowick, Joel Dear, Christian Erwin
USA

20 August 2018

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Per the USFSA Assignment page, Haines & Koszuta will be here instead of Gropman & Somerville. (G&S have been moved to Bratislava to replace the Greens).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The first two teams have the same wardrobe colours, but totally different styles — the first is minimalist block colours, the second tons of details.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've agreed to try doing some play by play for Dance this season. Now given that I have yet to make it from the area where you put on skates to the actual rink itself without causing grievous bodily injury (mostly to myself!), I find this hilarious and a sterling example of Major Irony, but I think the idea of pbp is a very good one. And I promise to do my best. If nothing else, you get to see A Very Very Very Very Very Steep Learning Curve in Action!

I wanted to post a few links for people who may occasionally like to watch ID events casually, for those who would like to but are baffled by it, or want to learn more. If this is not you, Mr and Ms Expert, please feel free to skip ahead or file your nails or make me some breakfast (I'm particularly fond of omelettes, blueberry pancakes and bacon [hint, hint]).

Today's Event is the Rhythm Method. I mean Rhythm Dance. (LOL, sorry but the joke is so easy who could resist making it? Not me!) This was formally known as the Short Dance. Ice dancing is at heart, traditional ballroom dancing on ice. There are a number of set patterns in ballroom that have been incorporated into ID. There is a good reason for this. These are the fundamental patterns learned by every couple, from the wee novice to the most experienced of seniors. The RD gives both judges and audience a chance to compare teams directly. If you want to know why team So and So placed ahead of Your Particular Favorite, an excellent way to do so is to compare both teams's required patterns in the RD.

The RD always has a set pattern, done to a specific rhythm. This year the juniors are skating to the Argentine Tango. Bill Neal has helpfully provided, in another post on here, a lovely link explaining the steps of the AT and the Infamous Key Points here:
https://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...s-2018-19/file

Key points are part of the required dance pattern. They must be skated on a specific step, to a specific beat. Hitting or missing a key point can be crucial to a team's overall placement in the RD. Given that my internet connection is somewhere in the area of two tin cans and a piece of string, I'm not going to attempt to identify them in the pbp as they happen, but the protocols will tell you if the team hit their KPs.

The USFSA has provided a nifty chart explaining the required elements of the RD here. There are five required elements for the Junior RD: two sections of Argentine tango, a short lift, one set of twizzles, and a step sequence. The step sequence can be either Midline (aka in a straight line), diagonal (from one rink corner to its diagonal opposite) or circular. The sequence may be done in hold, not touching, or a combination of both. More info can be found here:
http://www.usfsa.org/content/2018-19...RD Chart.pdf

So, with that in mind, let's give this baby a whirl! As I said, Mr Tech I'm not, so if I miss something or screw something up, by all means feel free to point this out. I think the more we know about ID, the more enjoyable it becomes for everyone.

The live action can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ISUJGP2011?app=desktop

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
The first two teams have the same wardrobe colours, but totally different styles — the first is minimalist block colours, the second tons of details.

Indeed I was wondering if it's not difficult for her to skate with that dress, but I suppose they are already used with their costumes and everything

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Xizi CHEN / Jianing XING
Music:
Choreography by:
Costumes: Red dress with red sequins for her, basic black with red tie for him

Required Elements:

AT Pattern - Need better extension on the free leg, but finally a AT with some speed and tango feeel
Twizzles - let's be honest, an out of control bit of a mess
Midline NT STSeq - the edges aren't the best, but they're skating it OUT (she caught on quick the rule to flirt with the judges when dancing the tango)
Curve Lift - pretty basic, could use more of a curve and don't Western Union that entry so much

Cute ending

What a difference a year can make. They're only a year older than the last pair but look much more mature.Viva la difference! Keep an eye on them. She's got something. He's working on it ;)

Score: 39.36 (20.56 TES, 18.80 PCS)