2018 JGP Ljubljana Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Ljubljana Free Dance

zebobes

Final Flight
Avonley needs to teach Vadym how to put his hand over his heart for the anthem... especially if they continue to win international competitions.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Avonley needs to teach Vadim how to put his hand over his heart for the anthem... especially if they continue to win international competitions.

Where did this US ice dance team come from? Were they on the JGP last season? I think most people figured that the 15/16 year old team that would be winning medals this season on the JGP was the Greens.

zebobes

Final Flight
Where did this US ice dance team come from? Were they on the JGP last season? I think most people figured that the 15/16 year old team that would be winning medals this season on the JGP was the Greens.

They started competing on the JGP last season, and I think that it was also a new partnership. They didn't make much of an impression on me last year, they grew an incredible amount in one year.

If you go to their fanfest, their's an article introducing their new partnership. Vadym apparently lives with her and her mom, as he was originally from Ukraine.

That is not required for any anthem.

In the US, people make a huge deal over anything related to the Anthem, and while I don't really care if he puts his hand over his heart, if they get as big as I think they are going to get... it would be good for him to know American conventions.

pearly

Record Breaker
It's an American thing that they can get very particular about.

It is customary for most (if not all) nations, but never required. Let's not impose this ridiculous stuff on these kids. He is not even American. And again, even if he were, he would not be required to do it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So I watched Avonley and Vadim for the first time based on the buzz.

Wowza:shocked: between them and the Browns I don’t think the US needs to worry about continuing its strong ice dance traditions.

And Ted was so adorable: usually I have highlights, but I just want to watch the whole thing over again:biggrin:

Any NA woman having trouble with her dress should go to Avonley’s dressmaker, that rivals some of Maia Shibutani’s dresses.

For a junior couple, stunning.:clap:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I had to step out and wasn't able to watch the free dance live. However, I had enough restraint to watch the entire last group without checking isuresults first :biggrin:. A special shoutout to Ellie/Simon on a solid debut. Out of the CAN teams other than L/L who competed on the JGP, they look the strongest. Now for my thoughts on the Top 2:

I am a fan of both of these two teams, so I wasn't particularly cheering for one or the other to win; I am just pleased to see them improve upon their first JGP outing. In addition to their skating skills, I appreciate that both teams have great musicality and chemistry; not all of the top junior teams demonstrate these qualities in their dances. They both presented contemporary programs but distinguished from each others in style.

Savchenko/Eremenko really upped their performance level. For example, they demonstrate full commitment in executing the hip hop moves in their character step sequence, which is a must for that genre. They were pushing to get those deep edges, especially in their one foot step sequence. With their dance, they are going for that freedom and abandonment. That said, the program is still rough around the edges, as their entries/exits are not as smooth as Nguyen/Kolesnik in comparison. However, I enjoy that they continue to be innovative in their programs and explore unique music choices. Their dance has potential and I am looking forward to seeing them continue to develop it throughout the season.

Nguyen/Kolesnik have amazed me once again, not just from the seamless integration of their free dance but also because they have improved by adding more depth to it. The first half is beautiful and flowing but the second half is now more dramatic and passionate. Watching the previous outings of the dance, the first half tended to overshadow the second half but their improved execution of it here shows that it's an integral part to bring out the needed contrast. Some noticeable improvements in the elements themselves including the speed in which they enter their camel spin and the smoother drop-like exit that makes their rotational lift look even more impressive. He is a strong partner and she is alluring, both of them consistently portraying the character of their free dance confidently and authentically. At their rate of improvement, I think they have become legitimate contenders for the WJC title.