2018 JGP Yerevan Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Yerevan Free Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Inspector Doris. I love it. I have the feeling you'd want to slap me between the shoulder blades and tell me to stand up straight. My posture sucks.

I stayed up too late. The plan was to wake up in time... Thank goodness for the stream.

My plan was not to wake for another three hours, but now I'm up and probably will just stay up. LOL.

icetug

Medalist
I haven't seen the movie -- but if that's what they were going for, I'm not sure if they quite nailed it. It seem kinda more abstract to me.

One of the best description of the movie is "it contains an absurd situational humor, combining a traditional farce with a black comedy";)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One of the best description of the movie is "it contains an absurd situational humor, combining a traditional farce with a black comedy";)

Well I'm going to go watch the movie! Maybe before JGPF. I'm sure I'll appreciate them more live I bet -- they seem like a B&S team that doesn't look great in video.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I'm going to go watch the movie! Maybe before JGPF. I'm sure I'll appreciate them more live I bet -- they seem like a B&S team that doesn't look great in video.

I'd be very curious to know if they come off as frantic live as they do on camera.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So will I be curious. It is way too long a wait to the JGPF. Will Ted be doing the commentary for the juniors? I hope so :love: I will be going into Ted withdrawal any moment now.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ted should be hired to do inspirational videos.

I need to email him soon to say thank you for all his work this jgp season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So will I be curious. It is way too long a wait to the JGPF. Will Ted be doing the commentary for the juniors? I hope so :love: I will be going into Ted withdrawal any moment now.

Yes, Ted will be commentating JGPF! :)

Also, I think Ted is doing some stuff for Skate Canada in relation to the practices and doing interviews, so we won't have to go that long without Ted! I hope to meet him while I'm there.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

I think he did commentary in last seasons, so that's what I'm definitely looking forward to! :hap10:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I feel like USFS needs to get a top-level ID coach to consult with Lavrik. The Browns are the future of American ID (in addition to Avonley and Vadim) and they could score so high if it weren't for the dratted level 1s. kind of heartbreaking to see them perform and skate so well just to get held down by things that are due to inexperience. clearly Andrew is doing good work for them but they need help in how to choreograph to get the higher levels :sad4:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am hoping that one of the better schools will scoop up all 3 of them. Andrew definitely has something to offer too, as a choreographer, in the same vein as Rohene, but in ice dance. Everyone would benefit!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I feel like USFS needs to get a top-level ID coach to consult with Lavrik. The Browns are the future of American ID (in addition to Avonley and Vadim) and they could score so high if it weren't for the dratted level 1s. kind of heartbreaking to see them perform and skate so well just to get held down by things that are due to inexperience. clearly Andrew is doing good work for them but they need help in how to choreograph to get the higher levels :sad4:

I feel like this tech panel was really strange, though. They actually had a level 3 circular step at their former competition.

I agree it's good for Andrew to get some consultation, but honestly I think part of the issues were also that he basically reworked the second half the program due to the tempo change. And honestly I'm impressed with his re-work....he did a great job keeping the cohesion of the program while following the rules -- that tells me he's a fast study.

I think the comparison of Andrew to Rohene is quite apt!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Something interesting look at the protocols. The tech panel slammed the Browns, but the judges scored them well on several elements. On the circular step, the one they got level 1 on, they received a 1.52 GOE. That is the 4th highest GOE for the step sequence, i.e. they were ahead of everyone but the two Russian teams (and only .14 lower than Shenaeva/Naryzhnyy) and the Georgia team. That is pretty impressive.

I think there's still work to be done, but they definitely made progress here. Can't wait to see continued growth.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I feel like this tech panel was really strange, though. They actually had a level 3 circular step at their former competition.

I agree it's good for Andrew to get some consultation, but honestly I think part of the issues were also that he basically reworked the second half the program due to the tempo change. And honestly I'm impressed with his re-work....he did a great job keeping the cohesion of the program while following the rules -- that tells me he's a fast study.

I think the comparison of Andrew to Rohene is quite apt!

I so have to go look at the protocols.

And while Andrew did a heck of a job redoing the FD choreo, the kids did pretty well learning the new things up in that short a time. I do feel the changes were the source of the twizzle problems though. They are so on the beat in general, that speeding everything up in that new section is a lot to get into muscle memory that quick.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Having looked at the protocols, Judge Number three from GEO was very negative about them, on almost every skill. His worst offense was to only gave them a zero on the first lift, which goes up so effortlessly, has a nice position, and comes down on the beat-for me a +3 at minimum, and most judges gave +2.

The Russian judge gave them two +4's :)

The US judge was carefully very positive without being too positive ;)

It is like the old saying: "It is the second mouse that gets the cheese." The highest grade is thrown out. :laugh:

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ugh, the newer, louder tempo change in the Browns' program is so inferior to the original music. Curse you, Euro judges! You ruined a piece of art!

Ellie and Simon-Pierre still have the worst free program of any of the Canadian junior teams competing on the JGP, but they've also got a medal, so I'm sure they're okay with that. I'd say this makes them the heavy favourites to take silver at Nationals and that second spot at Junior Worlds.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
^^^^^^

This :(

It reminds me that we used to get cohesive programs sometimes in the old 6.0 days, but alas, they are now forbidden by "COP law" :cry: :bang:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I haven't seen the movie -- but if that's what they were going for, I'm not sure if they quite nailed it. It seem kinda more abstract to me.
Well, as Icetug already explained, the movie is not simply about the life of gipsies. It's all absurd black humor. If you had seen other movies by Emir Kusturica, you would understand - absurd black humor is hugely present in most of his movies. And it does tend to be quite crazy and a bit abstract. Also, Ushakova and Nekrasov's costumes definitely did not need to be elegantly black and white like the Hungarian team had and as WeakAnkles hinted, for it it is not the style of the movie at all. Their costumes are very much in line with the actual style and feel of 'Black Cat, White Cat'.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ugh, the newer, louder tempo change in the Browns' program is so inferior to the original music. Curse you, Euro judges! You ruined a piece of art!

Ellie and Simon-Pierre still have the worst free program of any of the Canadian junior teams competing on the JGP, but they've also got a medal, so I'm sure they're okay with that. I'd say this makes them the heavy favourites to take silver at Nationals and that second spot at Junior Worlds.

It's just so rote and by the numbers. That's what I meant by "lockstepping" through the program. I'm not sure how you can be pretty much personality-free to Les Miz--the music itself usually sees that doesn't happen--but they manage to do it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
By the way, I think the piece of music inserted into the Brown's program is from "La Grange" by ZZ Top … Certainly a tempo and mood change...